• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Bowl Game

snake020

Contributor
Cal could not even beat lowly Scamford in The Big Game this past weekend. They have sucked absolute ass since they were ranked number 2.

FlybyWired06

You're right...man, what the heck happened to them? DeSean Jackson was one of the most highly touted receivers going into this year...he has less than 700 yds on the year?? Was he injured??

On another note: So, shouldn't we really be calling the Poinsettia Bowl the GoodbyePaulJohnson Bowl? I'm wondering what offers he's gotten so far, if any....

phrogpilot73

On another note: So, shouldn't we really be calling the Poinsettia Bowl the GoodbyePaulJohnson Bowl? I'm wondering what offers he's gotten so far, if any....
None that I'm aware of yet... I was just looking on Google News and apparently he's interviewed with SMU...

FlybyWired06

None that I'm aware of yet... I was just looking on Google News and apparently he's interviewed with SMU...

Just read this article....

http://www.sportsnipe.com/main_spor...son-s-world-tour-rolls-through-SMU--Duke.html

They're listing SMU, Duke, and Georgia Tech as possible suitors (distant murmurs of Nebraska as well...less likely)...I pray he does not leave a great program like Navy for lower tier Div. I teams like SMU or Duke. I would not be surprised if he took the Tech job though...actually wouldn't mind that considering my current location...

Anyway, best of luck to Paul on the possible change and to Navy on the possible coach hunting to come...let's just make sure Navy crushes Utah to end it on a good note if Paul must go!

bsubdevils

Oh, I so wanted to go the the Bowl game, friend in town was going to get me some free tickets. Unfortunately plans didn't work since I have finals that day...one day...one day. Anyways, a few of us are going to Hooters to watch it. (for the wings, beer, and big screen...of course!) So, anyone in Boise is welcome to meet us (yeah right, this place is like the ass end of the earth for Navy guys).

GO NAVY!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey if any of you know mids going who don't know other non-mids that will be going, if you hook up with one of them, they can bring 2 guests into the Navy Tailgater for free... Have fun!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
...the Poinsettia Bowl the GoodbyePaulJohnson Bowl? I'm wondering what offers he's gotten so far, if any....

Couldn't be about the money I'd hope. ESPN is reporting he makes $1 million (wow!) a year coaching Navy. The only thing I could think is that he wants either a new challenge or a chance to get into the BCS.

FlybyWired06

Couldn't be about the money I'd hope. ESPN is reporting he makes $1 million (wow!) a year coaching Navy. The only thing I could think is that he wants either a new challenge or a chance to get into the BCS.

Yup, I recall the 1 mil mark being mentioned before...no doubt, he does well at Navy. I think that's exactly it....if he does decide to leave it will be for the challenge. If he feels he's taken Navy as far as they can go, he might want to move on to another test of his coaching abilities. Ofcourse, if he's cool with makin' a mil a year, living in beautiful Annapolis, MD, and being worshiped by all Navy fans EVEN if his teams never win National titles or go undefeated, then I'm sure he'll stick around! Otherwise, I hope he "enjoys" the "pressure cooker" school that is lucky enough to get him...

If he sticks around, what do you think, Army shut out for 10 straight? 20 even? haha...

phrogpilot73

Coach Johnson's remaining contact is $4M over 5 years, or $800,000/year. That's ONLY his pay. Most places I've read that total compensation is $1.5M/year.

Read in some of the news reports today that Duke is willing to offer him $2M/year, and that SMU and GT are willing to match his current $1.5M/year... Apparently, he's interviewing with GT a second time. He said in the Crapital that it would take a special deal to get him to leave Annapolis. Only time will tell, I guess...

FlybyWired06

Coach Johnson's remaining contact is $4M over 5 years, or $800,000/year. That's ONLY his pay. Most places I've read that total compensation is $1.5M/year.

Read in some of the news reports today that Duke is willing to offer him $2M/year, and that SMU and GT are willing to match his current $1.5M/year... Apparently, he's interviewing with GT a second time. He said in the Crapital that it would take a special deal to get him to leave Annapolis. Only time will tell, I guess...

I don't think Duke or SMU have the same attraction GT has as a big school in a major conference (Duke, same conference, but tiny and not known at all for football success). Honestly, GT is one of those schools that is always a contender in their division and conference, but hasn't had the extra "something" that it takes to win it all very often. A real chance at going to a big bowl and possible National Championship with this school and I'm saying it could happen within a few years with the right coach and players.

I've been watching them while I do the Grad school thing at GT and their ex-coach, Chan Gailey, recruited really well (i.e. Calvin Johnson), but just didn't have the offensive prowess to succeed in the ACC. His teams seemed to come up a little short when it mattered. After seeing him work his magic at Navy, PJ might have what it takes to take GT to the next level. Not to mention, if GT's current defensive coordinator stays on, they'll continue to have a strong D (they didn't look so hot on paper this year, but that's because the offense was so bad, the D was working overtime most games...they still managed to win 6 and make a lower level bowl)

So, I'd guess that if GT is willing to cough up some more dough (maybe meet Duke's offer), there's a strong chance our boy will be looking at houses in Atlanta soon...

So now that we've jacked this thread, maybe I should ask this again to get it back on track:

Anybody have any sweet (suite) hookups at Qualcomm that we should know about??:icon_wink

Circle K

pilot
It's official, PJ to GA Tech. And he's not coaching the bowl, either. Here's hoping for the best for him, personally I'll never be a Tech fan, not having witnessed the 70-7 drubbing they put us through.