• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Bowl Game

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I think its more that some of the Annapolis supporters on here have gone waaaaay overboard.

Beat ND? OK. It ended a streak. That would be like me celebrating picking up a supermodel at a bar.. Try enough times its bound to happen, but the overall record is not that stellar.

Beat Army? Fine. But damn, its not like you went into Texas A&M and butt-raped the Aggies at home. I was VERY impressed with that game, and it was nice to watch. You were trouncing someone in "your leauge".

In my opinion, the current "big college" football teams are not much more than a farm system for the NFL and a money maker for the schools. So now, anyone who wants to go pro, with few exceptions, is not going to go to ANY academy. If you went in the wayback machine, when College Football was played more for school pride than a shot at the NFL, and REAL students who happened to be athletes formed the bulk of the team, as opposed to now, when its mostly jocks who happen to major in "sports management" or some such major.

Navy & Army are probably closest to "old school" in that regard, perhaps Yale and Harvard as well, but you have to put stuff in perspective.

Team pride is a good thing.

Sounding like a bunch of drunken Yankees fans is not.

I think we all agree with your points... which is exactly why we're such huge Navy fans. The fact is our football players play soley for pride. When they graduate they go to the Fleet or the Marine Corps just like the rest of the student body. We live with them, we did plebe summer and year with them, and they are ingrained in our companies, platoons, and squads. This is clearly not an NFL factory; so when we can beat a school of that caliber (i.e. Notre Dame) it's a huge deal, even if they did suck this year. They shouldn't have... and they should have beaten us if we're going off pure numbers, their O and D lines are like 1/3 bigger than our guys in height and weight. How many credits do you think most of them take, and in what major, and what will they do when they graduate? And then you look at our guys, and you see Zerbin Singleton who has overcome basically every obstacle life can throw to one person and he's an Aero Major with a 3.xx GPA and he's slated to be the Academy's next Brigade Commander (highest ranking MIDN). You look at Reggie Campbell, who's 5'6", and a scrawny Hawaiian kid at QB who was thrown into the fire his sophomore year against an amazing Rutgers team. We take pride in our team because of who they are, what they are doing, and what they aspire to do. They are not your "new age" NFL factory college football team, and are old school in every sense of the word -- they play for pride and for their school and for each other.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
yeah, and they lost, but it was a good game though.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Of course.

If you don't "get" Navy football, you just don't "get" college football.

nfootgy7.png

We might be fanatical but just let us enjoy our team's accomplishments. Even if they are strange, and meager in your eyes.

I enjoyed the bowl game. I was really hoping at the end though.

phrogpilot73

I thought they did quite well. Utah was favored by between 7.5 and 9 points (depending on whose line you checked), and Navy only lost by 3 - and made it go until the very end. Great game...

KBayDog

We might be fanatical but just let us enjoy our team's accomplishments. Even if they are strange, and meager in your eyes.

I'm not preventing you from enjoying anything.

I had not seen anything about the game, so I was just curious how it turned out. After all, AW nearly got a play-by-play of previous games, so I figured that a Bowl game would get the same treatment.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
...I enjoyed the bowl game. I was really hoping at the end though.

Well ... at least there is some pro Navy sentiment outthere!

and, what DanMav said about the football team goes for other varsity teams as well. They work hard for Navy pride and spirit. And that ought to count for something.