• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVY/army Game

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But Illinois will make a bowl! .... next year.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
But Illinois will make a bowl! .... next year.

Right.

Meineke%20Car%20Care%20Bowl%20web.jpg

Although I shouldn't be talking about our bowl. :sleep_125

bobbybrock

None
Being a former D1 football player and Army pilot, it is hard for me to take Army football seriously. It should really be a D1AA or maybe D2.
I was told by all the Hudson high guys I fly with that it would take two years for Bobby Ross to turn the program around. Well it has come and gone. My prediction is Navy by 14.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never been involved in NCAA football beyond buying tickets for my alma mater, but IMO Navy and Army will always remain Division I no matter how much either of them sucks or does well. Too much "tradition." Besides, what would we do if the Air Farce had the only DI team among the service academies?:D

bobbybrock

None
I'm sure tht they will remain D1. Do they belong there? Probably not. I've seen Army teams come close to beating some fine teams. Heart and pride go a long way.
But these schools are in the business of producing military officers. Not football players. They just can't compete with the big schools like they did in the past. In any other arena most of these guys are great athletes. Just not the one that has kids who are going to move on to the next level.
And most of these guys know this coming in. They are the true student athletes. A lot of the D1 guys aren't.

Junior

pilot
I'm sure tht they will remain D1. Do they belong there? Probably not. I've seen Army teams come close to beating some fine teams. Heart and pride go a long way.
But these schools are in the business of producing military officers. Not football players. They just can't compete with the big schools like they did in the past. In any other arena most of these guys are great athletes. Just not the one that has kids who are going to move on to the next level.
And most of these guys know this coming in. They are the true student athletes. A lot of the D1 guys aren't.
You can't single out only the Academies as not belonging in Division 1. There a lot of schools that don't belong there: Temple, Duke, UB, Florida Intl. It is no secret that there are two definite tiers to Division 1 football.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The service commitment is a recruiting killer too, I'm sure. How many NFL teams are going to look at someone and say, "yeah, we'll take you after a few years of never playing football?"

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You can't single out only the Academies as not belonging in Division 1. There a lot of schools that don't belong there: Temple, Duke, UB, Florida Intl. It is no secret that there are two definite tiers to Division 1 football.

Let's not forget that these schools play other sports besides football as well...Be pretty stupid to put Duke in DII...especially when basketball season rolls around.:rolleyes:

JKThreeEleven17

Also don't forget that the service academies drug test. Other Division I programs let their players inject Testosterone into their butt. It kinda gives them an edge.

badger16

None
Let's not forget that these schools play other sports besides football as well...Be pretty stupid to put Duke in DII...especially when basketball season rolls around.:rolleyes:

Yeah and Lax season too...they terrorize the competition...on and off the field.:icon_tong

Junior

pilot
My point was you can't single out the Academies for having questionable programs when there are plenty of other schools with worse. As bad as Army may be, they were ranked ahead of many teams at the beginning of the season and aren't even listed on ESPN's Bottom 10.

Junior

pilot
The service commitment is a recruiting killer too, I'm sure. How many NFL teams are going to look at someone and say, "yeah, we'll take you after a few years of never playing football?"
I think the lifestyle of the Academy kills recruiting more than the service commitment. I doubt a highly recruited 18 year old is going to choose plebe year in Annapolis (or the following 3 years for that matter) over being a god at say USC.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the lifestyle of the Academy kills recruiting more than the service commitment. I doubt a highly recruited 18 year old is going to choose plebe year in Annapolis (or the following 3 years for that matter) over being a god at say USC.
That too.