• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviators Naval Flight Officers -- What Was Your Major?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I go to college next year, and I am not great at math. Is the Navy really heavily moving towards engineering degrees for pilots? I honestly dont think I could maintain a 3.0 gpa in aero engineering, or anywhere near that.

Sure, the Navy says they perfer engineering degrees, but there are PLENTY of pilots (and officers of other designators) out there that do not have degrees in engineering. This isn't just my gentlemen's D in calc talking here... major in something your interested in and excel at it. IMO, doing well should offset the lack of an engineering degree.

wrk

BA in History, minor in Art History (yes, Art History)
NROTC

I go to college next year, and I am not great at math. Is the Navy really heavily moving towards engineering degrees for pilots? I honestly dont think I could maintain a 3.0 gpa in aero engineering, or anywhere near that.

Unless the Navy changes how NROTC works, it doesn't matter what you major in. Besides, I always hear that non-technical majors do better in flight school anyway.

MinesFO

Newest NFO
None
BA in History, minor in Art History (yes, Art History)
NROTC

Unless the Navy changes how NROTC works, it doesn't matter what you major in. Besides, I always hear that non-technical majors do better in flight school anyway.

That may be, but I haven't heard of many Art majors going on to become Test-Pilots or anything similar. I guess art majors would be more interested in making sure the planes are pretty anyway.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
That may be, but I haven't heard of many Art majors going on to become Test-Pilots or anything similar. I guess art majors would be more interested in making sure the planes are pretty anyway.

They're scared of the change! ;)

JClaw34

B.B.A. Economics
SNA
STA-21
(BTW-while technical degrees are not required, but highly encouraged, Calc I&II and Calc-based Physics I&II are required - except nurses)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
B.B.A. Economics
SNA
STA-21
(BTW-while technical degrees are not required, but highly encouraged, Calc I&II and Calc-based Physics I&II are required - except nurses)

Unless you're college program...at least that's how it used to be.

Sarah Ruth

IN the Navy and going to OCS at last!
B.B.A. Economics
SNA
STA-21

Whoa!!! I'm a History major that just got recommended for NFO and I'm hoping this really doesn't mean I should have learned calculus and physics. The highest I went in math was statistics and the highest in science was high school chemistry. Is that going to be a problem?