• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

naval academy

kevloon18

just to clarify, because im getting some negative feedback from some of you. im lacking drive because i have no idea where this college is going to take me.

im almost on autopilot, joining the academy is something that i can see changing my life and taking my places i can only dream of how sitting at home on my computer..

im not a slacker if thats what your impressions where its just im not happy with where i am right now.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
just to clarify, because im getting some negative feedback from some of you. im lacking drive because i have no idea where this college is going to take me.

im almost on autopilot, joining the academy is something that i can see changing my life and taking my places i can only dream of how sitting at home on my computer..

im not a slacker if thats what your impressions where its just im not happy with where i am right now.

There are thousands of places to find a drive for you. I have the feeling that the Academy just isn't going to be the right fit for you. Everyone that goes there is dedicated and usually has plans for what they want to do.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you have to ask if it's competitive to get in, then you obviously don't have the motivation to make it in/through. Those who are successful care not for the competition, but only for how THEY are going to make it. Acceptance is CERTAINLY NOT "automatic". You don't just get to go there because you want to. Nothing good/worthwhile in life is free....

my 0.02

phrogpilot73

Acceptance is CERTAINLY NOT "automatic". You don't just get to go there because you want to. Nothing good/worthwhile in life is free....
True dat. Case in point - I wanted to go to USNA since I was about 6 (my Dad is class of '63), although you couldn't tell by my high school grades. It took me 2 colleges, enlisting, and 4 applications to get in. You have to really want it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
phrog, if it makes you feel better, I only applied once.

I'll advocate doing a bit more research on USNA, because it seems like you don't have the whole picture here. Admittedly, I definitely did not have a good idea before showing up for my NAPS visit. It was a bit of a rude awakening, to say the least, and I struggled a bit until I got a handle on things. And by that, I mean that I was almost kicked out for shitty grades, while attempting to be a EE major.

Do some more research before making any decision. I suggest seeking out your local Blue & Gold Officer and discussing USNA with him/her.

gotta_fly

pilot
I would also recommend capitalization (words like Navy and Naval Academy, for starters). If you can't present yourself professionally through writing, no one is going to take you seriously.

I would also recommend capitalization (words like Navy and Naval Academy, for starters). If you can't present yourself professionally through writing, no one is going to take you seriously.
I say boo to the idea that you have to be formal on message boards/forums.

As for OP, what is the endgame? You want to go to the Academy - great. Then what? Opportunity is great, but you still need to have the intense desire to make something of what's presented before you. You need to figure out what you want. Then and only then can you figure out how you're going to work to get it.

Good luck.

phrogpilot73

Why exactly do you say boo? Truth be told, I'm tired of trying to decipher cryptic posts that involve "SMS-Speak". Is it really all that hard to type the additional two letters to produce "you"? Is it really all that hard to type the word "for" vice "4"?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Why exactly do you say boo? Truth be told, I'm tired of trying to decipher cryptic posts that involve "SMS-Speak". Is it really all that hard to type the additional two letters to produce "you"? Is it really all that hard to type the word "for" vice "4"?

C'm0N d00D, th!$ i$ tHE c0ol w@Y 2 wR!t3!!!!

But seriously... some level of basic grammar, punctuation (is it that hard to capitalize a few letters or add a comma or a period) and spelling is good to have on the boards.

BackOrdered

Contributor

I was going to keep quiet until I read this part. Only YOU can change your life and take yourself places. There is no magic pill. As everyone has said, you need to have the will and drive in not just the place you attend college, but in all things worth your time to succeed.

Honestly, and call me stupid, but reading too much 1337 speak seriously screws with my grammar abilties when I need them most else where. I can't be alone here.

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
I have trouble reading when proper puncuation, capitilization and spelling aren't used. Plus, I think it's easy to fall into a habit of using "easy speak" and someday it'll slip into writing that should be professional.

Just my 2 pennies.

HornetGuy100

Warren "Buffett" Myers
One-hundred percent agree. Even in texting, it's just utterly pointless to abbreviate in any kind of way a word normally spelled out. As an example you used; "R" substituted in for "are", and "two" worded in as "2." It's all a step backwards in your life, and in you own education as well. I mean the whole anatomy of English or punctuation is to achieve the standards they portray. Why ruin the whole idea, and seek you own way that deceives your education. Good point out Phrogpilot73. :)