• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

naval academy

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

It used to be a required PE class at the Naval Academy too. Not sure when that ended. I never had to take it; it's an elective now. When you think about like some of the exercises that gymnasts do (think those rings); it seems like it could be a pretty difficult workout. [/threadjack].

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
It used to be a required PE class at the Naval Academy too. Not sure when that ended. I never had to take it; it's an elective now. When you think about like some of the exercises that gymnasts do (think those rings); it seems like it could be a pretty difficult workout. [/threadjack].

Check out this little jewel... :D

phrogpilot73

Either before or after my time. We had alot of required PE classes, but no gymnastics...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Either before or after my time. We had alot of required PE classes, but no gymnastics...

Yeah, definitely before... My roomates dad ('82) had it as a required class and said it had been required for some time well before him. I was surprised to find out that West Point still had gymnastic requirements.

preyes44

Yes, most likely a lot of credits wont transfer, and you will still start as a plebe (freshmen) regardless of how many years you have gone to a different college

JFoga97862

Hey dude,

I went to UMass Amherst for 2 years before going to the Academy. I had 54 credits before I left UMass and "validated" only about 12 or 15 credits. Validation is the academy's way of transferring credits where you take a version of a final exam for the class you're trying to "transfer". It was suprisingly hard to validate courses.

Another thing to think about is sports eligibility. I burned up two years of NCAA eligibility at UMass and only had two to play with while at USNA which made me only partially useful as a varsity athlete.

The major advantage you have over kids coming straight in from high school is perspective. Most plebes spend time living vicariously through their buds at civilian school and piss, moan, and whine about how they wish they went there. While this is certainly valid, you will have already had that experience.

Hit me up with any other questions you might have. I'd be more than glad to help.

phrogpilot73

Yes, most likely a lot of credits wont transfer, and you will still start as a plebe (freshmen) regardless of how many years you have gone to a different college
Technically, NO credits will transfer. It all depends on how you do on the validation exams. I had 1 year of civilian school under my belt (to include Calc I, Physics I & II) and I didn't do so hot on the validation exams. So, I carried the same course load as if I hadn't been to college.

kevloon18

im a freshman in college, im bored and sick of my life having no drive or ambition in my current studies. im an engineering major in my school..

what is the possibility of getting into the naval academy for me, is it really hard and competitive? i just want to do it, a clean cut start over with the academy but i dont know how realistic my goal is.

thanks
kevin

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Not sure if I'm reading you correctly. If you have "no drive or ambition" now, you'll probably hate the boat school. If being an engineering major is what you don't like about your current situation, you'll also probably be disappointed.

Do you want to be an officer in the navy/Marines? That should be your first question to ponder.

There's lots of info here if you do a search wrt your competitiveness.

kevloon18

no im just asking how difficult it is to get into the naval academy. is it an automatic, you apply you get in or is it a really competitive school to get into

B

Blutonski816

High school kids work their asses off from well before their senior year getting everything they need to present a good application for service academies...
Plus there's those super-motivated enlisted guys who work their asses off to get into the prep school for their shot at Annapolis...

So to answer the question...
Is it a competetive school to get into??
Short answer is YES...

(of course this is coming from a guy who went/is going the civvie University experience)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
There were 12,003 applications for addmission to the Class of 2011. 1,202 were admitted. That is about 10% admission rate, and holds as average year on year. I would say very competitive.

Gitr

Competitive yes, but if you want it and it seems right for you do it. But I echo the fact that you need motivation. Go visit, check it out and then make the call. Just remember that the freedom you have now, will be gone as a plebe, so you have to really want it.

EvilGN

pilot
Competitive yes, but if you want it and it seems right for you do it. But I echo the fact that you need motivation. Go visit, check it out and then make the call. Just remember that the freedom you have now, will be gone as a plebe, so you have to really want it.

Freedom gone as a plebe? All 4 years will be less freedom than any other regular college. Obviously plebe year having the least (if any) freedom and subsequent years gaining privilages (unless bad things occur and the place goes on lockdown) Its a cycle of constantly gaining and losing privilages as different head administrations roll through.

no im just asking how difficult it is to get into the naval academy. is it an automatic, you apply you get in or is it a really competitive school to get into
By your own admission, you lack drive and ambition. Couple that with your inability to use the search function in google and you have a definite recipe for success.

Yup, getting in to USNA is very easy (automatic even) - just perfect for a guy like you.