• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

naval academy

kevloon18

starting the academy as a sophmore

is it possible to go to the United States Naval Academy if you already have a year of college. im an engineering major at UMass Dartmouth im Massachusetts.

is it possible to go to the United States Naval Academy after my first year of college?

phrogpilot73

is it possible to go to the United States Naval Academy if you already have a year of college. im an engineering major at UMass Dartmouth im Massachusetts.

is it possible to go to the United States Naval Academy after my first year of college?
Yes it is possible, but you don't transfer in and start at Youngster year. You start over, and go through 4 full years at the Academy. If you do well on the validation exams, you can finish the coursework for your B.S. early and start on your Masters.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Additionally you can use the search of the interwebs and find this question and many like it are already answered on the USNA web site.

Junior

pilot

If you don't capitalize the first word of your sentences or use proper punctuation there is no way they will take you.:icon_rage

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
We had a guy in my class who transfered to the academy after completing three years at USC. Still took four more to graduate. About 1/3 of each incoming class has already had some time of college/prep school.

kejo

pilot
We had a guy in my class who transfered to the academy after completing three years at USC. Still took four more to graduate. About 1/3 of each incoming class has already had some time of college/prep school.

After three years at USC I'm suprised this person wasn't totally depressed as a midshipman every day for four years...if you go in straight from high school at least you don't know any better.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
I think it was a family tradition, but he either never got in, or never decided to embrace it until late.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a student get into USNA after his freshman year and he had to start all over as a plebe. Instead of being the class of '06 he was in the class of '07. Be careful of of what you wish, it may become reality.

-ea6flyr ;)

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
A buddy of mine did a year of college at some school in Texas then transfered to Boston University (NROTC) this year and he just got accepted to USNA. He's going to accept and go as a plebe this fall. He'll be 21 and could be a junior :confused:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
A buddy of mine did a year of college at some school in Texas then transfered to Boston University (NROTC) this year and he just got accepted to USNA. He's going to accept and go as a plebe this fall. He'll be 21 and could be a junior :confused:

I ate lunch today in King Hall with a group of people and a super locked on plebe. I recognized his accent as a New Yorker and I started talking to him - he's a former West Point Cadet, kicked out for not being able to pass gymnastics, turned enlisted Marine, turned Midshipman Class of 2011. His overall story was one of the most motivating ones I've heard, really great kid... except he's 2 years older than I am - he's 23. This kind of thing (older people in early college years) isn't uncommon here.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I ate lunch today in King Hall with a group of people and a super locked on plebe. I recognized his accent as a New Yorker and I started talking to him - he's a former West Point Cadet, kicked out for not being able to pass gymnastics, turned enlisted Marine, turned Midshipman Class of 2011. His overall story was one of the most motivating ones I've heard, really great kid... except he's 2 years older than I am - he's 23. This kind of thing (older people in early college years) isn't uncommon here.

WTF!? :eek:

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
except he's 2 years older than I am - he's 23. This kind of thing (older people in early college years) isn't uncommon here.

I'm an older student myself. I graduated high school in 2003, played three years of hockey in Canada and went to college as a 21 year old freshman. My view is, when you're in your late teens/early twenties, you can afford to either take some time off or use that time to pursue a goal (i.e. the USC student pursuing the Academy). There's not a huge difference in graduating at 21 or 24, and my three years of hockey taught me a lot about life and people that I never would have learned elsewhere. When you have a wife/kids and more responsibilities, you can't really take three years off and bum around a country. Do it while you can.