• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy Prep School

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Hey bigspy, what made you choose foundation? I'm having a real hard time turning down my NROTC scholarship and doing foundation. It's tearing me up enough to cause a real great deal of stress to me, although I'm glad that I'm in the situation I'm in.

usunkmybship

I would not want to be in NAPS based on what I've seen. They're here for nine months, they get liberty about one weekend a month, and still have PLEBE summer to look forward to. They don't even get to wear whole midshipman uniforms; they have NAPS in gold letters replacing midshipman insignia.

Yes we live a secluded life most of the time. How much liberty we get depends on our grades and PRT score, so if you want to go out every night (but still have a 2030 curfew) and wear civvies or have overnights every weekend be ready to get a 3.8 gpa and be in above average physical shape. This place is not "military" enough but overall it's pretty laid back. We nickname it "Nimitz High" because it's almost like a 5th year in high school. The priors are not in favor of this place but their goal to go to the academy keeps them hanging on. We all like to whine about this place but we have a lot of good times and good laughs. Throughout the year the mil staff will have guest speakers who are academy graduates talk to us like an astronaut and last week Admiral Larson to keep us motivated. Anyways the main goal of NAPS that gets overlooked is how hard it is academically. I admit I'm close to failing with a 2.0 so I'm on the verge of not going to the academy. That's my own fault because there's help everywhere but I choose not to get it. I do say it's a great opportunity to be here, yet you might only notice that after you graduate!

EDIT clarifying liberty:
We get liberty from 1600 Friday afternoon until 2200 or 1900 Sunday night EVERY weekend and we can wear civvies. Unless you're on Restriction...
If you do not rate overnights the curfew is midnight for Friday and Saturday.

Any other questions or confusions I'm here to help.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Well, good luck with raising the GPA man. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but the clock is ticking and score is being kept. Argh.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I got a question for you usunkmybship: Do they explain to you who those officer candidates (us) upstairs on the third deck are, or do they tell you just to not come up here?

BRM21o

I don't know if they ever officially told us but we all know. How long is your program? We see a new set of you guys every so often. What college are you off to after this?

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I'm personally only here for nine weeks. Some people come here for BOOST before NSI, so they are here three or six months prior to starting NSI. The current Navy BOOST class is the three month version. Those are the Petty Officers (and one or two chiefs) that are up here on the third deck with us. I was selected to not attend BOOST, and just go to NSI.

I'll be going to SUNY Maritime college after this. Can't wait... it's in NYC, and the BAH/COLA is incredible.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
I'll be going to SUNY Maritime college after this. Can't wait... it's in NYC, and the BAH/COLA is incredible.

Yeah I live in NY, and Maritime is a great college. I just kinda wanted to get a little farther from home. You should have a blast.

But what is BAH/COLA? Sorry for my absolute lack of knowledge.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Basic Allowance for Housing and Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA is for AD members living in high expense regions). I'll be getting both of those on top of my base pay.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I will probably live on campus for the summer term when I arrive (I'll start in the summer term). Living on campus costs about half of what my allowances total, so it's economically a good deal. After the summer, if I don't get hired as an RA I'm probably going to try to get off campus starting this fall. I just don't want a roommate.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If I were you I'd definately be trying to get a roommate in an apparment or something while there. You're going to have plenty of time in close quarters later (meaning ship/sub). Might as well take advantage of the BAH and COLA while you got it. What is the BAH and COLA in NYC?

usunkmybship

You asked if knew about your program. I honestly did not know much but reading this thread gives me a better understanding. I think know the point you were trying to make when you asked that question. We just worry about our own business without understanding what is going on around us.

For example just now, our taps is at 2230 and we have personal time at 2130 so the guys (in my platoon) tend to get loud and rowdy. My platoon commander had to explain to them that you guys have to sleep earlier than us and get up at 4.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
To FC1: If I live on campus and get the RA job it settles everything. COLA in NY is 14% (about $200 for me), and BAH is roughly $1500 (unless I get E5 off of 187).

To the M/C: It's about 2245 and I still have homework to do. Just between us, I never hear noise coming from the second deck. I usually don't get up until around 0500. I get little sleep some nights when I put stuff off like this.

usunkmybship

Do you have watches upstairs to make sure you keep your light and computer off? Everything has to be off after taps here, but there are ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.