• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy Prep School

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeix

High School Peon
So I recently got word that I have been awarded the 4 year Navy Option ROTC scholarship, but I'm still waiting on USNA. My BGO has ranked me as his number one candidate for my area, but I'm still a little concerned. If I don't get in, I'd take NAPS in a heartbeat over NROTC.

I'd just like to hear some thoughts from guys (or gals) who went through NAPS...if there is anyone out there.

Rebel652

pilot
I didn't go through NAPS but I know alot of people who did and they say it helped them alot during their first year at the Academy. They are generally more prepared for Calc and Chem and come here already knowing 200+ classmates. Other than losing another year in school, it seems like a good deal. From what I've been told you'll have more freedom at NAPS then you do Plebe year. Good Luck !

NAPSmom05

My daughter is at NAPS right now and also had a full scholarship to Purdue through NROTC. So, I understand where you are at. She received notice that she was accepted to NAPS in May so she already had a roommate etc. all set up at Purdue. Still, she took it in a heartbeat, had some scary second thoughts and then reported to NAPS. LOL She's had a good year though and, although she isn't doing backflips over the place, has said that she is where she should be and hasn't shown any waivering to going on to the Academy. It has been a good year also for her learning to be away, take care of things on her own, managing money, living with a roommate etc. email me if you would like some other advice.

Gregor

USNA via NAPS

If you don't get in directly NAPS is a good way to go. It was a big help for me as I came from enlisted. I needed to have the right mind set, and NAPS was the key. It adds some challenges at least it did 34 years ago, but the friends you make are friends for life, and you will be exchanging salutes with them for however long you choose to serve. Being a Naval Officer is a rewarding career, but the Academy is something that will be part of your entire life. Other paths to a commission are of equal value, and I do not intend to deminish their value at all. The difference is not in others, it is inside you. You will be given the opportunoity to gain confidence, bearing and above all honor, if you are willing to make those choices. I believe that other paths to a commission offer these same opportunities, but we are the product of our experiences and these gained at NAPS and USNA are unique. You know what your heart tells you is the path for you, don't settle for less. By the way of the many officers with whom I served the three best were a classmate of mine, a mustang (ex-CPO) and an NROTC guy. Source of commission is not the key to being a great officer. At least from my narrow point of view, it is the ability to be 100% fair and honorable, to believe 100% in your men and be lucky as heck when things do go wrong.

Gregor

When used in this term, I truly meant "men" as a collective noun. I am sorry to have snubbed those fine ladies. I started out to quote a truly fine officer I once worked for as a young sailor, but the exact words were not on the tip of my toungue and the quote was much longer than the following: the quote (had been bright enough to use it) was: ".......remember, as an officer you must put honor and duty first, trust your men 100% of the time second and they will never let you down and hope for a boat load of good luck when the other things fail to bring about the desired result. Some day your luck will be there when you need it, if you work hard to do those first two."

The entire quote ended, "you are an officer now, and it is no longer necessary for superior officers to be nice to you, especially when expressing the expectation that you will complete your tasks on time. Good luck son, you will need it."

That officer was RADM Grace Hooper, but that was a time when she could say "men" and mean members of the sea service, without regard to race, religion, sex or national origin. LOL.

No slight intended to anyone, just praise for the young men and women who allowed me to achieve a fine career and fill my heart with good memories I can share with the people who missed the experience, and maybe oneday with my grand kids. RADM Hooper was one of those memories, but I will stick to quoting John Paul Jones....."Keep your powder dry and practice with the guns daily".

NAPSmom05

I don't think anyone really too offense. I was just kidding around with you, as my daughter is a Napster right now. :) No harm, no foul here.
NAPS05mom

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I'm gonna go against the tone in the room here and recommend taking NROTC if you can get it with a full ride. Maintaining some personal freedom with the EXACT same result as the Academy is the way to go if you ask me. I had an opportunity to walk into the Academy for the 2008 class, but figured I could try for Seaman to Admiral 21 and also get done by 2008. I'm currently enlisted, but the choice was effectively the same. Actually for me there were many more benefits: I currently draw my full pay PLUS full tuition, vs. $600/mo at the Academy with about $500/mo going to pay for the loan used to buy the first uniform issue. On top of that, I'm not locked up all the time.

Right now I'm at Naval Science Institute, which is the same location as NAPS. I would not want to be in NAPS based on what I've seen. They're here for nine months, they get liberty about one weekend a month, and still have PLEBE summer to look forward to. They don't even get to wear whole midshipman uniforms; they have NAPS in gold letters replacing midshipman insignia.

That’s all for my negativity.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
No, thank you for your input. It's good to see some new advice, I'm trying to make a decision now between the the Naval Academy Foundation and NROTC... Thank you.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Almost everyone Ive met, has been happy with NROTC and stuck with it through college- yes, that includes people who were originally planning to reapply to the academy during their 4/C year (as much as we don't like to admit it, NROTC was the second choice for many of us). Also, thats an option for you (start in NROTC and reapply to the Academy)
People ive talked to seem to have enjoyed NAPS, but much less of them enjoyed the academy. One person Ive met who did both, said NAPS was great but when I asked about the academy, he put it to me this way "I've gotten kicked in the nuts once- I'd do it again if I didn't have to go to the Naval Academy." (No, really, true story)
I am not by any means anti NAPS/Academy or Pro NROTC, but you should really consider your options and not discount NROTC right of the bat. It is a really good thing for some people, while the Academy is really good for others. If you enjoy doing your own thing and having a lot of freedom, maybe NROTC would be better for ya- if you don't mind having less freedom, then maybe try NAPS/Academy.
Not trying to start a pi$$ing contest. Just food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.