• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Whiting field vs NAS Corpus Christi

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Winged Aviators and SNA's currently in Primary please give your $0.02 about the main differences in location for Primary, where you would prefer to attend Primary Flight Training @ either NAS Whiting field or NAS Corpus Christi in terms of housing, training (flight time), night life, etc. for a single male.

Please try to keep the thread from the inevitable turn to "It doesn't matter where you go, your there to learn your craft, this isn't what you should be worried about, and you don't have much say in where you end up." I feel that everyone for the most part understands the latter and this thread is intended for positive conversations about your past (or present) experiences and opinions on the two training locations.

Thanks! :)

Lived in both places, been through both syllabus, flown both aircraft... Go Whiting if they let you. If not go Corpus. Or put whatever the hell you want down and don't worry about it. They'll send you where they want to. It doesn't really matter all that much in the long run.

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
Whiting is aight. If you want helos (seems like people that want them can select them pretty easy) it works out cause its a one hour move to Miltonopolis for all of flight school. Sounds better than Pcola-Corpus-Milton to me. But I got lots of buddies that did that and they it was cool just cause it was a change of scenery.

When the T-6 isn't broke dick its a pretty sick ride but I have nothing else to compare it to. $0.01 from a sna.

SkywardET

Contrarian
A lot of people in my academics API class wanted to go to Whiting. I think the consensus among the unwashed was that Pensacola was less of a wasteland, and the T-6 is the new hotness, and ejection seats, and many wanted helos, etc.

WDE117

I can't speak too much to the Whiting life, but Corpus as a student isn't bad. CC nightlife isn't as much fun as Pensacola, but fun can be found. Even if Corpus had a huge nightlife, you don't really have the time. Since Texas A&M Corpus Christi is right here, housing wasn't difficult to find and it's not very expensive. There are more than a few apartment complexes and houses for rent. As far as flying is concerned, 27 and 28 are both a little light on students, so the ones they have are getting moved through the curriculum quickly. I know as soon as anyone in my class has been eligible for a flight/sim, they're on the flight schedule the next day. The learning curve is rough at first, but you adjust to it. The instructors really stress how perishable flying skills are when you have almost no flight experience, so being in the cockpit every day is a big plus.

Overall, don't sweat being told you have to come to Corpus. You can find plenty of positives here.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
If you go NFO, you can just stay in Pensacola actual for 2 years. Then go to Lemoore! (Technique only.)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Overall, don't sweat being told you have to come to Corpus. You can find plenty of positives here.

Back in the day, allegedly only married folks were going to Whiting, so that left the rest of us gunning for Corpus over Vance. Most of my friends at the time went Corpus so I was more then happy to go along. I really liked it when I lived there. Living by the beach and 10 minutes from work was awesome, there was a party every night of the week at someones house on the island. Whisky River Wednesdays and Ferrah's Friday were in full swing and Pelican and some other IP owned bar off Airline had just opened up to compete for the crowds of SNA's and their SNAGs. Course rules were easy, and Boomers were always claiming to be better pilots then Rangers since their IPs were mostly assholes, and Rangers were content being in the happy squadron where nothing else really mattered.

When it came time to shop for orders I knew I wanted to fly, so VTs made the list. I hated Pensacola from my experience there just after Ivan hit (town was in shambles, people were constantly angry and bitter, night life consisted of Chans, O'Riley's, Seville and Intermission, Flounders and what remained of the tents for the Bama), but I wanted to complete a specific Masters program and I wanted to fly T-6 so I bit the bullet. Pensacola has been a great place to live since I arrived. Downtown has built up with places to go out etc. Milton/Pace a little less so, but the drive is only 15 extra minutes to live some place not as shitty (and the cab fare to Milton from Pcola is only double, so that means one less round at the bar if you're rationing money). Got "stuck" flying T-34s for a little over a year before I transitioned to T-6. I got to observe that 34 students are generally much better prepared for briefs and GK wise because of having Civilian instructors teaching classes more then getting CAI'd and theres 35 years of gouge out there and much hasn't changed lately. T-6 students are much better prepared to physically fly the plane on the first contact flights because they've got the visual sims and get some decent practice in every phase before hitting the plane.

T-34 is a more forgiving plane in the pattern when the students get slow and has better legs for teaching guys how to land etc, and handle cross winds better then T-6. T-6 kicks the shit out of aerobatics where the 34 struggled and does stuff that the 34 couldn't... I could really create a stellar harassment package when it came to pre-checkride contacts in the 34 since we could pull CBs, make students crank the gear, don O2 mask and open the canopy- all at once. T-6s EP scenarios are a lot more straight forward in the plane (No LAPLs, LAPL/Ps just pull the handle) so the profiles are pretty canned. T-6 is a much better IFR cruiser and it's Nav suite is something I trust to fly IMC with (not so much with racheting T-34 RMIs and Gyros and GPS that would regularly shit etc). The G limits in the T-6 are nice, especially when a student flies areo very poorly, dicks up a spin and we have to avoid other aircraft as we bust through the bottom of our box, briefly, approach vectors us into other aircraft in marginal VMC weather etc. When T-6 first got introduced to Whiting the attrition rate jumped to approx 15-20%, but has since been steadily making its way back down towards the historical T-34 avg of 9-11% as squadrons learn how to fly them, and beefed up their standardization oversight of instructing and check-ride expectations (T-34 transition IPs had different expectations of students then purebred T-6 guys, and then each squadron had their own way of doing things). The Air Conditioning in the T-6 is awesome, the ejection seats are a hell of a lot more comfortable and the handle gives you a pretty reliable fighting chance to live when shit goes really wrong, really fast. I've never doubted if I was going to be able to stop in a -34 (Can't say the same about the T-6) and having two primary Nav-aids (TACAN and VOR) is really convenient and gives more broad exposure to students. RVFAC ILS is always nice though.

Being sent to Corpus is not a death sentence by any means. It's still an awesome time if you look past the negatives. Pensacola is the same way. Same thing with the planes as well. There are plusses and minuses to each platform. Both will kick your ass as a student and be a hell of a lot more capable then you are in the beginning of the program. Both will make you semi-competant pilots (as far as students are concerned) and prepare you for whatever advanced pipeline that you end up in. Coming from either will create things to adapt from when you get to advanced too so there isn't one plane that totally prepares you for advanced over the other.

All in all, its a win-win situation for anyone who selects primary in Whiting or primary in Corpus. Don't sweat the small stuff- and its mostly small stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
T-34... has better legs for teaching guys how to land etc

I'm curious, what does this mean in metrics now? I could usually get 10-12 landings out in a late-stage fam, depending on how insane the pattern was (or what Area I was in). I'm curious what's dropped off, especially given you don't have to dork around with HAPL/LAPL stuff now.

Don't sweat the small stuff- and its mostly small stuff.

I'm pretty sure you ripped me off...or at least you ripped off my dad, who ripped it off of someone else I can't remember.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Very tough to push anything beyond a 1.8-1.9 (depending on how much mx shorts you on gas) in a T-6 while you could get 2.1-2.3 in the T-34 with minimal effort if you had to...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I always hated getting a bird with 380 a side and a known, weak stud on a late-stage Fam. What's the Hr/X for late stage? It must be less if you have less endurance.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I always hated getting a bird with 380 a side and a known, weak stud on a late-stage Fam. What's the Hr/X for late stage? It must be less if you have less endurance.

Syllabus times for the hops typically run 1.6/1.7 across most of the blocks and stages- fams/PAs/contact, instruments, nav, forms (the first few fams are 1.5 though).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What would you know? Have you even figured out how to change the radios in that thing yet?

KBayDog

Syllabus times for the hops typically run 1.6/1.7 across most of the blocks and stages- fams/PAs/contact, instruments, nav, forms (the first few fams are 1.5 though).

If only 3710 made you log your time at NSE's hold short line... :D