• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Whiting field or NAS Corpus Christi

PCHomerun_4

I recieved some gouge that said it depends on your grades, but someone who has been there might can help me. In OCS, are you informed where you will go to primary (NAS Whiting field or NAS Corpus Christi), or is that in API? I'm thinking you can't choose, but is there a chance that you can pick?

sarnav

married-Whiting

single-up to flight management

If you are married you will get TAD orders for API with follow on to whiting which allows you to move your dependents at the end of OCS. Single-see above but no PCS until CC IIRC.

SN

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are married you will get TAD orders for API with follow on to whiting which allows you to move your dependents at the end of OCS. Single-see above but no PCS until CC IIRC.

SN

This wasn't true in our case. My husband didn't get follow on orders... instead, he got orders for Corpus Christi and that's where we moved. We wanted to get follow on orders, but unfortunately, they had fewer available spots in Whiting than they had married students.

MasterBates

BDCP in 2001 going to Corpus anyways was TAD to API & OCS from your NRD, and got Per Diem.. I lived in a hotel like a rock star (ok, an 80's hair band on a reunion tour).. And pocketed a ton of Per Diem.

Was told 0 week of API where I was going.. Only in A-pool for 3 weeks though, inlcuding OPDS leave/tad.

MrSaturn

Contributor
In OCS, are you informed where you will go to primary (NAS Whiting field or NAS Corpus Christi), or is that in API? I'm thinking you can't choose, but is there a chance that you can pick?

Most people find out in A-Pool. Thats how I found out September and thats how my friends found out in December.

I was able to request where I wanted to go. Plus they were kind enough to give it to me. So go ahead and try worst they do is say NO. Also, one of my buddies didnt want to go to Whiting so he traded with some one in his class to go to Corpus(December). The funny thing is you never know until later...

Good Luck!

PCHomerun_4

I heard that it also depends on your grades in API. So if this is correct and have the top grades, do you get to choose?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
just volunteer for vance and end the speculation.

Hmmm, yeah, Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one ...
107216447_350653c4c4_m.jpg

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BDCP in 2001 going to Corpus anyways was TAD to API & OCS from your NRD, and got Per Diem.. I lived in a hotel like a rock star (ok, an 80's hair band on a reunion tour).. And pocketed a ton of Per Diem.

Was told 0 week of API where I was going.. Only in A-pool for 3 weeks though, inlcuding OPDS leave/tad.

Why the heck didn't I know about this? It would be much later where I would learn that the words "per" and "diem" = lots of beer.

SlickAg

pilot
I heard that it also depends on your grades in API. So if this is correct and have the top grades, do you get to choose?

No. You start API knowing where you'll be going. From what I've seen, if you want Corpus or Vance, you'll get it. Whiting is a little more hit or miss, but I think Flight Management does a pretty good job of getting people into their first choice.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot

Everyone is told where they'll be doing primary before you class up for API. The classes that went through API around the same time I did found out the Thursday before classing up. Grades have nothing to do with it. It's all about how many slots they have available in Corpus, Whiting, or (shudder) Vance.
There is also a request sheet as to where you want to go. I don't know how hard they try to accomodate primary location requests. Seemed something of a grab bag as to whether or not you got what you wanted. Needs of the Navy and all.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
This is a Marine speaking ... but I believe that the Navy SNFOs have an opportunity to switch to SNA if they have high grades. We had one guy who was able to switch at the end of API. After our class graduated he went back to do more IFS and then he will officially graduate API and report to Primary.

KimberlyD

Or you can get PCS orders to Whiting, move your family, drive to NASP every day for muster then class up for API & find out you're being ordermodded to Corpus & that you neither get per diem for the time in P'Cola or additional $$$ for the move to Corpus b/c it's a mod, not a new PCS... A little bitter still.