• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Whiting field or NAS Corpus Christi

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You can and will get DLA times two if you are forced to PCS twice in a year. The rate depends on the duty station to where you are going and is some multiple of BAH. It happened to me in flight school too, moved to Whiting in November, moved to Vance in August, same FY, got DLA both times.

wrk

I'm not going to wade through the other posts and instead just offer my opinion. I went to primary in Whiting at VT-6 and did Intermediate in Corpus at VT-35. I'd say that the city of Pensacola is better than the city of Corpus Christi. However, as far as locations go, Corpus is better, there's more stuff to do around Corpus, like Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Where are you going to go in Pensacola? New Orleans? Maybe. Atlanta? Yeah right. There are also plenty of people who will say that Corpus is the better city between the two, and in some ways they might be right, but as far as which place I would rather line in, without considering what's outside of it, I'd say Pensacola/Whiting.

There's lots of stuff to consider, but being someone who's been to both places, I'd say you can't really go wrong in either place, you'll have a good time and get good training wherever you go. I loved my time at VT-6, the commute from pensacola was a bitch, and now that I live closer to base it's better, but it's not nearly as good as when I lived in Corpus and I was 4 minutes away from base.

So yeah, Corpus wins on overall location and commute time, Pensacola wins for being the better city by itself, in my book at least. Of course, all that being said, if you're a Marine, I'd avoid Corpus just for the PITA that is MATSG-22.

KimberlyD

I tried to dig out a resource for getting DLA twice in a year but all I'm pulling up are about.com websites, they have the right info but a military link would be better. The key is getting a 2nd set of PCS orders in a FY, we lost out on it b/c we received an amendment to a single set of orders.

Someone mentioned DLA being a multiple of your BAH & that is no longer true. DLA is a set # no matter where you are PCSing to or from that is based upon your paygrade & dependency status (with or without) with exceptions being those PCSing OCONUS. There is such a thing as a partial DLA entitlement, this is paid to a servicemember when vacating military housing for renovation, privitization or any other reason at the request of the military (not b/c you bought a place in town), that entitlement is roughly $500 regardless of paygrade or dependency status.

USMC_NA

I have recieved two DLA's this year. you are incorrect if you believe otherwise. Thou shalt recieve DLA every time thy PCS move.

USMC_NA

And homerun, the last time I checked gouge was a term used for useful and credible information. What you "recieved" is called RUMOUR.

VS FO

pilot
None
DLA rates can be found at this site under the rates and allowances section:

https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/

They are a fixed rate now and no longer determined by BAH.

Other rates like mileage are listed too. Its probably been posted here before, but here it is again.. Fairly useful if you've never seen it before.