• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS North Island Bay Approach

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
That's "the mat". No sweat as long as you didn't forget to lock your tail wheel when coming back from the boat.
Understand the PCT is gone, too.

DAMN! Thanks, BB...been a long time since I last heard that one.
icon7.gif

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And a JO could afford a house in Coronado then (well, a small one anyway).

Let's now bow our heads and have a moment of silence for the Downwinds, Mex-Pac, Boom's, M-Crud, and Bully's LJ. :(
Yeah ... 2-3 of my friends had NICE houses in Coronado (kinda small and 30+ years old in the '60s/'70s ... but who's counting?? ) ... white picket fences, the whole 9 yards ... good lookin' wives, too ... :D

BUT: back to more important things -- now, what was it .... ??? I forget the sequence ...

WED: BULLY's @ LJ ... ???
THURS: MCRD ... ???
FRI: MEX-PAC ... ??? Followed by the 'BODY SHOP' ??? Followed by a return to MEX-PAC to close it down ... ???
SAT: MIRAMAR ... ???

Downwinds/Boom's ... anytime ... ???

SUN/MON/TUE ... ??? R&R ... ???

blackbart22

pilot
Those all were target rich environs. However, there were several Snake Ranches on Coronado that were really happy hunting grounds. The one at 601 First comes to mind.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah ... 2-3 of my friends had NICE houses in Coronado (kinda small and 30+ years old in the '60s/'70s ... but who's counting?? ) ... white picket fences, the whole 9 yards ... good lookin' wives, too ... :D

BUT: back to more important things -- now, what was it .... ??? I forget the sequence ...

WED: BULLY's @ LJ ... ???
THURS: MCRD ... ???
FRI: MEX-PAC ... ??? Followed by the 'BODY SHOP' ??? Followed by a return to MEX-PAC to close it down ... ???
SAT: MIRAMAR ... ???

Downwinds/Boom's ... anytime ... ???

SUN/MON/TUE ... ??? R&R ... ???

IIRC, our squadron JO's weekly night flight plan was this:

Monday: A needed day of rest.... but not always. :D

Tuesday: Either the Beachcomber or the Pennant (can't remember which, but they are adjacent) in South Mission Beach (they are still there) for their cheap spaghetti dinners.

Wednesday: WOXOF Room at NAS Miramar O'club. (Even better by far than its legend! F'n, absolutely F'n incredible!) :icon_tong

Thursday: Bully's, La Jolla. Some guys stayed there late, some went to M-Crud later, and some got lucky and went elsewhere. :icon_wink

Friday: WOXOF in smelly flight suits (but "they" didn't seem to care :icon_wink Hell, they liked it!). Then home to shower shave and then on to the M-Crud body exchange with its great live rock bands. (Yes rock bands, not "Glenn Miller", KBaydog ). Or sometimes to Bully's or Booms on Friday again. Of course, uplanned detours were common.

Saturday: Date night... often at Boom's, with or without a female. There would be many there.

Sunday: Afternoon at the NorIs JO O'club"Downwinds". Live band, max beer and wine cheap. They shutdown late afternoon so all then headed for Mex-Pac. Stayed there late - eating, drinking, dancing, swapping lies, and trying not to get kicked out, etc., as long as you weren't scheduled early on Monday.

Of course Mex-Pac, Bully's, and Boom's were good any day of the week. As were the Mission and PB beach bars for a quick one. And we didn't need the BODY SHOP, 'cause we brought some of their strip... ah.... their dancers to the WOXOF Room on Wednesdays and Fridays, were they "performed" to a packed crowd and guys in line at the door.... before things got tightened down later on.

And of course there were parties! Too many to choose from. A number of us rented on North Mission, and people would just stroll in off the beach. Or we would go from our place to friends' places on Ocean Front walk to see who had the best party. A RAG instructor (later killed in Vietnam) had a big place near the top of Mt. Soledad with city, ocean, and beach views forever. He threw massive parties about once a month.

And during one short turnaround, four of us lived in a 7-bedroom, 8 bathroom La Jolla mansion. House sitters, we were. :D We used to print flyers, passing them out on the beach to any and all good-looking women. We usually had parties of 300+. In fact, our squadron CoC reception was held in our massive, but somewhat damaged, living room. Even today, decades later I will bump into a former Naval Aviator who didn't know me, but knew our parties at the "mansion" well. They were pretty famous/notorious for a short turnaround.

Oh yeah, we flew and trained hard and fast too. There was an air war going on! And we all were pretty good. :D

It's a wonder any of us lived through and beyond all that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
+ some ... and there you go. Thanks, Cat; it took a Miramar 'pro' to get it right.

*Sigh* ... us 'out-of-towners' tried, too, but sometimes the program left @ the front desk NKX BOQ only led us to the Denny's or International House of Pancakes in Poway.

As far as your 'mansion' is concerned -- anything in/around LJ/Scripps was 'aces' w/ me and my Amigos ...

The SanDog weekly bar-SKED almost made me wish I'd taken the F-4 seat when I had the chance ... almost. :D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
+ some ... and there you go. Thanks, Cat; it took a Miramar 'pro' to get it right.

*Sigh* ... us 'out-of-towners' tried, too, but sometimes the program left @ the front desk NKX BOQ only led us to the Denny's or International House of Pancakes in Poway.

As far as your 'mansion' is concerned -- anything in/around LJ/Scripps was 'aces' w/ me and my Amigos ...

The SanDog weekly bar-SKED almost made me wish I'd taken the F-4 seat when I had the chance ... almost. :D

Too bad we didn't know each other back in the day. We would have made an awesome section.... taking turns rolling in and pulling off the unbelievable number of targets of opportunity. . . with our hair on fire. :) (In fact the guy I mentioned earlier - DooDoo Doyle was notorious for setting his chest hairs on fire at parties. He was max hairy, and in a darkened and hushed room, it was an awesome spectical.)

It took me awhile to figure out the routine. But I was stashed in a 6-month pool with no duties, so I learned.

Unfortunately, once I got the routine down, I left on an 8-month WestPac cruise, followed with only a short 4-month turnaround to an 11-month cruise, and then orders to the East Coast..... with a tear in my eye. But it was those brief beach times we who lived it still talk about in awe! :p

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Probably not as good as the pump up in Westmoreland....for all the el centro folks

Let's see ... prime rib in El Centro or La Jolla ... El Centro or La Jolla ... El Centro or La Jolla ... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... I wonder which one's 'better' ... ??? :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Let's see ... prime rib in El Centro or La Jolla ... El Centro or La Jolla ... El Centro or La Jolla ... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... I wonder which one's 'better' ... ??? :)

Touche.......

But if you are unlucky enough to stay longer than just a trip through the pits, I highly recommend it :)