• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS North Island Bay Approach

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Anyone have a plate or course rules for said VFR approach? We got the skipper's blessing to fly it (as long as nobody f**ks it away and flies over Hotel Del), but it is not listed in my smart pack. Thanks in advance!

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Anyone have a plate or course rules for said VFR approach? We got the skipper's blessing to fly it (as long as nobody f**ks it away and flies over Hotel Del), but it is not listed in my smart pack. Thanks in advance!

I can give you the helo version...but I'm thinking you don't want to be at 300'.... :) I may still have the base ops manual on my computer at home... I'll PM you if I can find it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Awesome thanks! So is -129 coming down here as well? Saw one of your sexy jets flying some weird delta easy pattern BS the other day....couldn't figure out what they were doing, as it seemed like they were climbing higher and higher with each spin

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome thanks! So is -129 coming down here as well? Saw one of your sexy jets flying some weird delta easy pattern BS the other day....couldn't figure out what they were doing, as it seemed like they were climbing higher and higher with each spin

It was really 141 (my last squadron) doing CQ and who just finished their transition to the G with 129. I'm coming down to fly on to my boat w/ my airwing for deck cert.

Brett

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Ahh..this should be entertaining. The last time the VT's did this during Cortramid they got yelled at by CNAF staff...just sayin'

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The approach:

It represented the most shameful & disgusting performance :))) by Naval Air birds that I can remember while I was tryin' to impress Trophy Girlfriend ® when we were staying at the Hotel 'Del Bridal Suite (compliments of my newest, best, friend Uncle-in-law who was their VP for Sales) in '96.

The shameful Hoovers on the approach were flyin' right by our veranda/lanai (whatever your preferred spelling for what is essentially the same thing) ... w/ their supremely 'disappointing' .... "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... " as the guys jockey'd the throttles ...

I kept tellin' her that Navy Jets didn't REALLY sound like that .... :)

It took years to convince her otherwise ...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh..this should be entertaining. The last time the VT's did this during Cortramid they got yelled at by CNAF staff...just sayin'

:D Like I said, it's not rocket science, but people do fuck it up. If you're coming from the north or northeast, they'll usually take you through oceanside then mission bay then out over the water. The Hotel Del has a big red circular roof. Stay feet wet until you pass that.

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think it has been about a year since the VT's have been here for CQ, so maybe the institutional memory has faded :)

Either way, the break here is so high and gay that I (and my class) would much rather get an interesting view on the RTB than anything else

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was gonna say just truck in on the 135 radial and put it over the bbq pits between the lodge/hotel buildings/etc (basically fly right over the washrack), but then I remember that spits you out to cross 29 to hit B2 for the tower transition over taxiway B2 and J for pad 3.... not much help for fixed wing handicaps requiring runways... :)... plus you guys don't do much yanking and banking at or below 150' AGL. ;)

But in all seriousness, enjoy San Dog, good luck going hook down and show em how it's down at NASNI. Have fun, bro.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor

The PAR box pattern is at 1600'....so please watch out for the helos. We almost got taken out by t-34s a couple times.....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wassamatta' w/ you boys ... ??? (I get it, I get it .... ) :D

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...OTEL_VIS29.PDF

We used to 'hit it' w/ 4 A4's or 4 A6's @ 1000' and 400+ KIAS for RW 29, as '29' was the RW that we used 90% of the time ....

Not tryin' to sound HEROIC, or brave, or cool, or sm-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oooooooooooth ... it's just what everyone in Jet or Prop-city "did" ... Runway 29, that is ..
:)

And then @ 2 hours later ... we repaired to Mex-Pac for the debrief ... :icon_smil

BUT: Coronado was a 'Navy town' in those days ...