• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

n00b questions

SlickAg

pilot
Good point. I neglected to include that.

Question for those still doing this... Do you still get one AFTP if you have a Mx/Wx cancel for the day?
It's actually two, no need to change a 2xAFTP day to a 1xAFTP 1xIDT day. Still need to put in your eight hours.

I know this is in our wing reserve instruction, but I'm about 99% sure it's CNATRA wide. CFLSW gets 2 drills anytime they get wheels in the well regardless of duration.

Python

pilot
Contributor
For you, it's the date you affiliated with the reserves.

Also, remember you can always look it up in BOL-ARPR/ASOSH:
No. NOT the date you affiliated with the reserves if you were prior active duty with no break in service.

Well the good news is....one of you is right! :)

That said, the ETJ was a good help. Concretely says that my anniversary date is my original USN commissioning date.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are entitled to request non-pay additional training periods (RESPERSMAN 1570-020) any time you are working on anything Navy related. Add in a telework package and you are set.

If you are an officer I assure you that you are doing at least 4 hours of Navy "stuff" per week. Updating that NATOPS? Reading your email? Sending email? Talking to your leadership? Pre-drill weekend conference call? Post-drill weekend admin? Reviewing your ASOSH/PSR/OSR/Record? Calling the NOSC? Just write whatever you do or will be doing into Tasks and Accomplishments.

Since there is no money involved, there should be zero reasons for your CoC to disapprove.
And for crying out loud, do this. Always, always try to get paid drills (RMP/ATP) if you are doing Navy business outside of DWE. If you can't get paid drills, get unpaids. Otherwise, to the bean counters at CNRFC, your work never happened, and they don't need to account for it in how they structure/employ the force. It's free chicken for them. Don't give the bean counters free chicken.

And @SlickAg is right; your anniversary date is the date you commissioned if you have no break in service.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's actually two, no need to change a 2xAFTP day to a 1xAFTP 1xIDT day. Still need to put in your eight hours.

I know this is in our wing reserve instruction, but I'm about 99% sure it's CNATRA wide. CFLSW gets 2 drills anytime they get wheels in the well regardless of duration.

Before I augmented, it was no drills for a cancel. That was stupid, as guys were going flying when they shouldn't (especially in the TRACOM). By the time I augmented, it had been changed to 1x AFTP for a cancel to help off-set the loss of the flight. It was up to the member if he wanted to burn an IDT for the second 4-hours. I'm pretty sure this was a RESFOR instruction, but it could have been CNAFR. I've forgotten.

Sounds like they changed it to just be 2x AFTP since various people here are in different TYCOMs. Sounds like a win for SELRES.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Good point. I neglected to include that.

Question for those still doing this... Do you still get one AFTP if you have a Mx/Wx cancel for the day?

Nope. Two. I showed up for two events that were on the flight schedule, briefed them as advertised, and then cancelled for whatever justifiable reason (wx/mx/ACNA). I keep a very detailed log of my drill activities, both telework, IDTs, and AFTPs for this very reason. If I'm close on my 100 for the year, I have a paper trail that can show exactly how many events were cancelled for approximately X number of hours which is this percentage of my shortage. Documenting that gives me (and more importantly, the SAU CO and RDH) the ammo to go to the OSO (who isn't always the most helpful 'support officer' depending on who is in the seat) the justification as to why I need money for some orders to plus up hours above my entitlements, or an hours waiver for the year.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Documenting that gives me (and more importantly, the SAU CO and RDH) the ammo to go to the OSO (who isn't always the most helpful 'support officer' depending on who is in the seat) . . .
Grrr . . . the one person whose job it is to get reservists money to do Navy things. And they can, EVEN IF their allocation runs out! They can rob from another unit in their wheelhouse, or if worse comes to worst, they can go to CNRFC N8 and ask them to rob from another OSO. But they just say "no," rather than pick up the phone to Norfolk and do work.

Incoherently rants in former unit OPSO . . . rabble rabble rabble

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Grrr . . . the one person whose job it is to get reservists money to do Navy things. And they can, EVEN IF their allocation runs out! They can rob from another unit in their wheelhouse, or if worse comes to worst, they can go to CNRFC N8 and ask them to rob from another OSO. But they just say "no," rather than pick up the phone to Norfolk and do work.

Incoherently rants in former unit OPSO . . . rabble rabble rabble

'Finding the way to no' seems to be a required course for some FTS peeps.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If you n00bs ever have issues with the NOSC support staff, come equipped with your applicable references and print out the relevant page(s). I had my NOSC SEL -- and his admin staff -- try to reject some correspondence of mine because it was signed in blue ink which I have always used.

I asked them if they had read the correspondence manual (SECNAV M-5216.5 - Correspondence Manual). They had no clue what I was talking about.

I showed them the reference, below, and they then got quiet and routed the correspondence for NOSC CO signature.

Had the same issue with FITREPs and EVALs... "Oh, Sir, PERS requires head-to-toe printing... Oh, Sir, PERS requires originals with original signatures...".... WRONG...

My other favorite was them trying to reject FITREPs, EVALs, forms, and other correspondence that I routed that had digital signatures.

Last edited:

SELRES_AMDO

FTS - F*$K the SELRES

Once had a NOSC lodging PO tell me I wasn't eligible for lodging because I didn't put my request in at the end of the last DWE. I just received orders to the unit so I wasn't a part of the NOSC last DWE. I was calling the day I received my orders. "Oh, in that case you just get marked AA and we won't let you drill". Ended up having to get the NOSC XO involved to get lodging.

Then there's always "Oh, we lost those files. Please resubmit it". Something you better get used to hearing when you check into a NOSC. I didn't realize how good I had it in a hardware unit with our own dedicated admin shop.