• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

n00b questions

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The line "first day in the Reserve or date commissioned" is only directed at enlisted reserve sailors who earn a commission in the reserves while still enlisted. Their old anniversary year becomes OBE, and their anniversary year resets to their date of commission.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The difference in retirement pay (ie, someone doing the bare minimum of earning points compared to someone like me) is significant and I've seen over the years untold Reservists putting their noses in the air when it comes to getting credit for the time in the way of points. They think they are doing someone a favor by performing free labor, not realizing they are only screwing themselves over.

Your Inactive Points can never go above 130, which is the maximum. I max mine out every year and have, a couple of years, lost points because I earned too many.

The Drills column is comprised of regular drills, funeral honors drill periods, as well as non-paid and paid additional training periods (ATP). Membership is the 15 free points you receive.

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
"132" or I guess really 120 is pertinent since that is the most I can theoretically get paid for before taking active orders for less pay. But I get what you are saying. As you mention, maxing out AFTP (or other non-IDT/Add drills) hasn't been an issue for anyone I have seen this FY year or last, nor has money been in general. I did 139 consecutive days on orders and there was no sentiment that I couldn't go on another set of them if it had been needed. Though I guess 140 day or greater orders trip some sort of an administrative milestone that they didn't want to cross? Didn't matter, started civvie job a couple weeks later so it all worked out.
Unless you’re a divo or something like that I wouldn’t count on any RMPs. Those are typically used for a CO doing Fitreps at home, someone writing up the annual awards submission, etc. Does that go for all reserve units? Probably not, but again, this is a CNAFR perspective.

140 days of warrants rates a PCS (20 weeks of orders and over) and that’s why 139 days will be the limit a lot of times. Also, anything 30 days and over gets you and your family on TRICARE so that’s potentially saving some bucks. Reservist pro tip: if you know you’re going to take some orders, try to plan any dental work you need accordingly. Turns out fillings are expensive when you get them on your own.

Python

pilot
Contributor
The line "first day in the Reserve or date commissioned" is only directed at enlisted reserve sailors who earn a commission in the reserves while still enlisted. Their old anniversary year becomes OBE, and their anniversary year resets to their date of commission.

So in my case, I was not prior enlisted, I commissioned in May, got out at MSR, became a reservist with no break in service in December....

....my anniversary year is based around May, right?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So in my case, I was not prior enlisted, I commissioned in May, got out at MSR, became a reservist with no break in service in December....

....my anniversary year is based around May, right?
No, the other way around. Think of it like your reserve birthday.

For you, your pay raises still happen in May though.

Your drills an orders reset every October 1st (fiscal year), so theoretically you could screw yourself by doing all of your FY21 reserve days in Oct-Nov 2020, followed by doing nothing until the summer of 2022, but then doing all of your FY22 stuff that spring or summer. This would create a giant gap, starting on your reserve birthday in December 2020 all the way through to December 2021. You'd get a year older in the reserves and a year closer to mandatory retirement, but that giant gap would mean that you're forfeiting a qualifying year (good year) towards retirement. A few guys out there have made this mistake a few too many times and when they got to the end of the road then they had to separate with no retirement (no pension).

It's still something to watch in the future if you have some weird timing coming back from a deployment, taking several months off from the Navy, and then heaven forbid you have a life event like a medical condition that prevents you from doing reserve stuff. Sure, there's a waiver for everything but not needing a waiver in the first place is easier.

More importantly, educate yourself on the ins and outs of this minutia so that you can help out your fellow reservists.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Unless you’re a divo or something like that I wouldn’t count on any RMPs. Those are typically used for a CO doing Fitreps at home, someone writing up the annual awards submission, etc. Does that go for all reserve units? Probably not, but again, this is a CNAFR perspective.
You are entitled to request non-pay additional training periods (RESPERSMAN 1570-020) any time you are working on anything Navy related. Add in a telework package and you are set.

If you are an officer I assure you that you are doing at least 4 hours of Navy "stuff" per week. Updating that NATOPS? Reading your email? Sending email? Talking to your leadership? Pre-drill weekend conference call? Post-drill weekend admin? Reviewing your ASOSH/PSR/OSR/Record? Calling the NOSC? Just write whatever you do or will be doing into Tasks and Accomplishments.

Since there is no money involved, there should be zero reasons for your CoC to disapprove.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This says your commissioning date, but it could change with a break in service

Good point. I neglected to include that.

Question for those still doing this... Do you still get one AFTP if you have a Mx/Wx cancel for the day?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Good point. I neglected to include that.

Question for those still doing this... Do you still get one AFTP if you have a Mx/Wx cancel for the day?
I have no idea what the training command does but as far as I’m concerned if I’m scheduled and present I’m getting both. At least that’s how it’s been in my units.

Python

pilot
Contributor
No, the other way around. Think of it like your reserve birthday.

For you, your pay raises still happen in May though.

Your drills an orders reset every October 1st (fiscal year), so theoretically you could screw yourself by doing all of your FY21 reserve days in Oct-Nov 2020, followed by doing nothing until the summer of 2022, but then doing all of your FY22 stuff that spring or summer. This would create a giant gap, starting on your reserve birthday in December 2020 all the way through to December 2021. You'd get a year older in the reserves and a year closer to mandatory retirement, but that giant gap would mean that you're forfeiting a qualifying year (good year) towards retirement. A few guys out there have made this mistake a few too many times and when they got to the end of the road then they had to separate with no retirement (no pension).

It's still something to watch in the future if you have some weird timing coming back from a deployment, taking several months off from the Navy, and then heaven forbid you have a life event like a medical condition that prevents you from doing reserve stuff. Sure, there's a waiver for everything but not needing a waiver in the first place is easier.

More importantly, educate yourself on the ins and outs of this minutia so that you can help out your fellow reservists.
Thanks for the info. Definitely trying to get smart on this. My big question is that what you’re saying seems contradictory to what @SlickAg and @MIDNJAC said on the previous page (commissioning date is anniversary date). Or am I getting my wires crossed?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Thanks for the info. Definitely trying to get smart on this. My big question is that what you’re saying seems contradictory to what @SlickAg and @MIDNJAC said on the previous page (commissioning date is anniversary date). Or am I getting my wires crossed?
Ah, yep, it was right in front of me in black and white where you said you didn't have a break in service. Sorry about that (no, really!), too many guys over the years who did have that break, even just a little one, that reset their "birthday." At any rate, your anniversary date shows up in a few places (NSIPS and FLTMPS at least, IIRC) and it should be easy to verify and/or ensure it is the correct date. Again, I apologize. I'm the one who got my wires crossed.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
For you, it's the date you affiliated with the reserves.

Also, remember you can always look it up in BOL-ARPR/ASOSH:

SELRES_AMDO

My anniversary date actually shifted because I went SELRES -> Active -> IRR for 2 months -> SELRES. I guess the 2 months of IRR time shifted my anniversary date to the day I (re) affiliated with the Navy reserves. I actually ended up losing 8 months of time. Doesn't really matter because I'm riding the SELRES train for as long as possible. I just found it odd and worth mentioning.

My first date was the day I joined DEP. New date is month/day I signed the reserve affiliation but the year I joined the Navy.

Also, you should always put in for non pays. I just finished a DH tour where I was also in a program management roll. I literally had Navy stuff to work on everyday of the week. At the minimum, I was responding to multiple emails from people in my unit on a daily basis. If you're in any sort of leadership roll then you will have no shortage of work.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I know for us, you get both drills in the event that happens. I'm not sure if that is command specific, TSW specific, or CNAFR specific. I think it probably makes sense for anyone.....you still went to work, still likely briefed at least, and it creates no undue pressure to push a bad situation (wx, SOD, etc).

SELRES_AMDO

When I was a flyer, my command let us get the AFTPs for the day even though the flight was cancelled. However, they did make us work (or pretend to) for some of the day before we could go home.