• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Myspace NROTC group

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually. middies fvck themselves over. Putting pictures of yourself getting drunk and doing stupid sh!t on the intraweb when you are underage... well, you just deserve to be caught.

Ya... this sh!t just has "GOOD IDEA" written all over it doesn't it?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually, middies fvck themselves over. Putting pictures of yourself getting drunk and doing stupid sh!t on the intraweb when you are underage... well, you just deserve to be caught.

Unfortunately, all it takes is someone else posting stuff that happens to have you in it, even if you don't have an account. These sites are cool for "networking" I suppose, but they just give those who evaluate you an easy opportunity to see how you really act on the weekends.

Kissarmy, I'd hope you have the best intentions while in NROTC. Lot's go into it w/ the attitude that they'll be law abiding etc. But little slip ups, whatever they may be, can end up posted somehow (i.e. via another friend's account) and then it's out there for all to see. That's why we're are being so cautious about this stuff. Having an NROTC group gives an instructor or whatever an easy opportunity to check up on people.

Birdman

Well, you could go the route of not letting people take pictures of your illegal activities, period. Then the problem of a friend throwing them on myspace/facebook won't arise.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, you could go the route of not letting people take pictures of your illegal activities, period. Then the problem of a friend throwing them on myspace/facebook won't arise.

Well, now THERE'S a good idea.....genius.....

Always seems like there is a camera around....be careful.....

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Just because an action is legal doesn't mean it won't be deemed questionable.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Sorry for the long post, below.

I would like to make a couple of points to those who may have a little less experience with the Navy.

1) Two words: OPERATIONAL SECURITY

- the exercise of not posting incriminating pictures during college is nothing more than a prelude to much greater responsibility down the line. As a midshipman, you will eventually be entrusted with information and knowledge that could jepordize the lives of you, your friends, and squadron/ship.

Lets say that an innocuous looking picture of your buddies in the carrier's hanger with your cell phone camera just before you enter the Persian Gulf gets onto the web. No big deal, since you post it on My Space so your family can see. Well, behind you are some sailors milling about smartly and planes in various states of repair, normal stuff.

Well, a terrorist cell that has been tracking your carrier's movements finds out that the ship will be in Dubai, UAE in a few days and also found your picture. Maybe they download your picture and blow it up to reveal that at least four F-18s have hydraulic line on the deck and they notice the bomb load out on a couple other birds. Maybe there is a Cheif, the CAG, and the ship XO standing in the background talking, and now the terrorist have a specific abduction target. Maybe a SEAL or EOD team is in the background getting ready for a mission, and their faces have been noted.

Safeguarding information is paramount to an officer, and it is vitally important that these lessons are learned now, in college, where mistakes cause little damage, instead of adopting a habit or practice that could do some serious damage latter.

This includes TALKING about stuff on myspace as well. Becareful what you say and post on there. It may cause more collateral damage than you realize.

2) Now, I think someone stated that Navy people can not get into trouble if they did not do anything wrong. Well, thats not how the Navy works. Military people are no longer subject to the Constitution of the USA. Instead, they are governed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). Navy people no longer have a right to free speech or assembly, for instance.

Please read these items on the UCMJ, as it will be very important, especially as an officer (plus some of it is kind of funny):

Full UCMJ for reference:

http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/UCMJ.pdf#search="ucmj"

About.com summary:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm.htm

This about.com article explains some of the articles that you can be tried under by your command or worse. Many require little provocation if someone if your chain of command wants to get you.

- Article 86—Absence without leave: if you are just 1 minute late, you can be tried under this, believe it! Most of the time, your superior is lienient, but he/she is already pissed at you... Don't ever be late to a military function!

- Article 91—Insubordinate conduct toward warrant officer, NCO, or PO: your command says no myspace, then it is NO MYSPACE....end of discussion.

- Article 92—Failure to obey order or regulation: The old standby. If your CO says no posting and you post anyway. If he says no internet and you get on anyway, well....

- Article 109—Property other than military property of the United States—waste, spoilage, or destruction: you break something in a bar, house, park, whatever, you can be tried for it. If that picture is of you getting hammered and kicking something, well...

- Article 133—Conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman: an old standby. Let me post the wording on this one, so you don't need to look it up "Any commissioned officer, cadet, or midshipman who is convicted of conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.” . To continue, "Conduct violative of this article is action or behavior in an official capacity which, in dishonoring or disgracing the person as an officer, seriously compromises the officer’s character as a gentleman, or action or behavior in an unofficial or private capacity which, in dishonoring or disgracing the officer personally, seriously compromises the person’s standing as an officer." You throw up from drinking too much, for instance. I'll let you read the rest.

- Article 134—Disorderly conduct, drunkenness: yep, it is what it says. Not just underage drinking, either. If someone sees you make an a$$ of yourself, then the command can get you.

- Article 134 - (Indecent language): yep, if you cus, it is provocation to take you to Captains mast.

- Article 134 - (Soliciting another to commit an offense): if an underage drinker tells the cops that you gave them the beer (whether you are underage yourself or not), then you are culpable.

- Article 80—Attempts : if you even attempt to do one of these bad things, you can be tried as if you did it.

The point I want to make is that you are not innocent until proven guilty in the Navy. if the command wants to punish you, they will find an article to punish you with, and it will be legit. That is the Navy (and military) works.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I agree almost 100% w/ greysword except the fact that NROTC midshipmen (unless on summer cruise/TEMADD or TAD) aren't actually subject to the UCMJ. Not that this should be an excuse to be an insubordinate idiot, but just wanted to point that out

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Bingo

Greysword totally hit it on the head. That is a good layout on the many way online groups like that can screw you!

Also reminds me.....

As far as Facebook goes, be careful what groups you "join" on the network. Don't join anything political, especially anti Bush etc. That is most definitely unprofessional. If it seems at some point like it may be a bad idea, then it probably is.

Believe me, I'm not trying to take the fun out of these sites, merely advising caution. I was lucky and my class and I were very tight in college and knew what did/didn't belong on there. We protected ourselves in every way possible. You can still have fun, but be professional.

I think the worst thing that could be found on my profile was joing a group called "Fvck the Chicago Cubs" and "Green Bay Packers Hater"

still some fun to be had!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Military people are no longer subject to the Constitution of the USA.

For an otherwise great post, I can't let this slip by the filter. Being a military member does not remove one's constitutional protections. The UCMJ is an additional set of rules, but it does not replace or supersede the Constitution.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
2) Now, I think someone stated that Navy people can not get into trouble if they did not do anything wrong. Well, thats not how the Navy works. Military people are no longer subject to the Constitution of the USA. Instead, they are governed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). Navy people no longer have a right to free speech or assembly, for instance.
No right to free speech or assembly? Who the hell told you that? That's incorrect.

the point I want to make is that you are not innocent until proven guilty in the Navy. if the command wants to punish you, they will find an article to punish you with, and it will be legit. That is the Navy (and military) works.
Actually, yes, you are innocent until proven guilty. Now, the rules of evidence differ among the different processes (e.g. NJP, court marshal, civilian trial) as well as the standards of proof for each. However, you are still innocent until proven guilty.

Here's the inside secret. Now listen carefully. It takes a lot of work to process someone for NJP or a court marshal. This is work that is being taken away from the primary mission of the command. Many man-hours are lost doing paperwork. Commands don't go out looking for someone to screw over with NJP. By the time the command decides to take action (less the more serious offenses), it has more than enough information to process you. They don't have to just pick an Article out of thin air and hope it sticks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
wow this has opened a whole new can o worms

indeed.....maybe there should be a seperate legal issues/rights thread. We get some training annualy on the UCMJ but it is very minimal (one 30 min lecture at the most)....but I'm interested in hearing more

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I think the biggest problem that can come from facebook/myspace accounts is accidentaly leaving your account open in reach of your shipmates, who will take liberties to *edit* your interests.