• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Myspace NROTC group

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I think the biggest problem that can come from facebook/myspace accounts is accidentaly leaving your account open in reach of your shipmates, who will take liberties to *edit* your interests.

This applies to screen savers and email accounts as well...:D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This applies to screen savers and email accounts as well...:D
Yea, I've had my share of "Divo, you're the best." or "Divo, just wanted to let you know that I'm in love with Petty Officer xxxxxxxxxx." They knew I wouldn't get pissed off about that stuff as some officers might. I knew it was all in good fun. So long as they weren't cc'ing anyone above my paygrade, all was good. I'd just single them out at quarters and we'd all laugh about it.

FMRAM

Yea, I've had my share of "Divo, you're the best." or "Divo, just wanted to let you know that I'm in love with Petty Officer xxxxxxxxxx." They knew I wouldn't get pissed off about that stuff as some officers might. I knew it was all in good fun. So long as they weren't cc'ing anyone above my paygrade, all was good. I'd just single them out at quarters and we'd all laugh about it.

Don't the JO's pull similar hijinks?

FMRAM

I messed up one time and forgot to log out. I came in the next day and there was a picture of a homosexual Hawaiian man in a tribal dress. He was rollerblading down the street in what looked to be some sort of a "parade". :)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I messed up today, left the building for three hours and came back gay as a snowcone in Hillcrest...

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Thank you to both Brett and Steve for making the adjustments to my post. I was hoping any errors would be corrected. Sometimes I have a tendancy to exagerate a point to make it stand out. This is very funny while messing around, and I temper it when trying to provide actual information.

For an otherwise great post, I can't let this slip by the filter. Being a military member does not remove one's constitutional protections. The UCMJ is an additional set of rules, but it does not replace or supersede the Constitution.

Brett

This is good to know, and I am misinformed. I was under the impression that the UCMJ limited and re-wrote many of the military member's constitutional rights, especially those regarding due process and what we may say in public or assembley. Thus it just appeared to be a wholesale replacement. I will look into this further before making that type of statement again. :)

No right to free speech or assembly? Who the hell told you that? That's incorrect.

Actually, yes, you are innocent until proven guilty.

It takes a lot of work to process someone for NJP or a court marshal. They don't have to just pick an Article out of thin air and hope it sticks.

As for the NJP process, I do take heart that it does have safeguards and tiers built in for the accused to plead their case, maybe even more than in the civilian world at times. Cheif's board, XO Review, and Captains Mast do provide multiple opportunities for the issue to be handled at the lowest level possible.

Steve is absolutely correct in stating that the command just can't pick an article and charge someone, because the levels mentioned above provide a check against unfettered accusations at all levels of command.

I would like to say that it appeared to me that if the command feels the need to punish someone and could not prove the charge they would like to have, they may use a lesser or more ambiguous charge. For instance, a sailor may be charged with Article 92 - Failure to obey an order for fighting instead of a battery charge if the other person (military or civilian) decides not to press charges.

Of course, this is from personal observation and deduction, so it may be off base. I have not had the need to learn the military law proceedings in detail like a Division Officer might. I am hoping the officers on here would be willing to fill in the blanks, like Brett and Steve did previously.

P.S. I think this is an important discussion, especially for those of us who are not completely informed or are new to the military, and I appreciate the time everyone is spending on it. Junior enlisted will rely heavily on the knowledge their Divison Officers possess (obviously from my misstatements previously) in this matter.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NJP is a procedure which has no analog in the civilian justice system, but it's important to remember that the accused can opt out of NJP for a court martial at any time. The accused also has the right to appeal the results of NJP to higher authority if they feel the NJP proceedings were performed incorrectly, or that the results were unfair.

Brett

boobcheese

Brett327 said:
The accused also has the right to appeal the results of NJP to higher authority if they feel the NJP proceedings were performed incorrectly, or that the results were unfair.

They don't have that privilidge if they're on sea duty. Shore duty only.

Would you be able to apeal to a higher authority once back in port?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would you be able to apeal to a higher authority once back in port?

What Steve was eluding to was the opt out of NJP for a C-M - that's just not practical when you're deployed on a ship. I don't have the JAGMAN/MCM in front of me, but I'm fairly sure that the ability to appeal NJP doesn't go away when you're afloat. Let's also keep in mind that the outcome of NJP is almost always relatively minor in terms of punishment compared to what you could get at a C-M. There are specific rules as to what can be awarded at NJP and it's broken down by pay grade as well. In the grand scheme, you're going to want to go the NJP route vice C-M 99 times out of 100, and that 1% would be reserved for blatant miscarriage of justice or procedural errors. NJP awards don't result in a bona fide criminal charge on your record, although you will have a record of NJP.

This is a great topic - recommend thread split.

Brett