• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Natops is smaller than your Natops...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Consider yourselves 'lucky' ... when I started on the WHALE ... we had 4 manuals (systems, SOP, performance, quick reference normals/emergency ... got it down to 3 manuals .... but if you were qualed on more than one bird at the same time ... Oh, MOMMY ... :)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I'm not sure how it was when you were here Fester, but they split the NFOs into Group 2 or HE2K classes.

Pilots get a "Series Qual" and learn all variants. From the pilot end, the difference is not that huge but can bite you in the ass on some EPs.

That's because there's little/no difference (maybe a few minors) between all remaining variants in the front end. Only 2 places left to see a real-live Group II (RAG and Fallon), and even then there's only a few. Everyone else is Nav Upgrade, MCU/ACIS, or HE2K. With everyone on 8 blades now, the only other mystery is the Garmin upgrade; and most squadrons have that too.

The NFO's used to be series qual, but with the syllabus revision we're finding it saves a considerable amount of time to train by splitting them again (as it used to be with Grp 0 vs Grp II models). No point in teaching systems and specs on something a new guy will likely never fly (I "can" make you learn CAINS, but why would I and what would it gain you). INFOs will continue to be series qual'ed along with guys going to a couple of squadrons due to transition in the next year or so, but that's it for the double-anchor crowd. Unit evals are going to be model-specific in the future. Again, a matter of reducing the "I know something you don't know"/"stump the chump games of yore.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The series qual for FO's was hitting the street right as I was in my last six months in the Fleet, and the biggest heartburn we-all had with it was having to learn the G2/Grim Reaper scope stuff. My RAG class was the first to do the G2-HE2K split up front, as opposed to a differences class post-stan check, so by the time this came around, none of the JO's in my squadron had so much as seen a CIS scope, much less ever played with one. Nor were we ever likely to need to use the knowledges, so this seemed like an enormous redass to no discernable purpose.

I still don't see the point to making One Big NATOPS. I still also don't get why they can't designate new versions in a T/M/S with letters instead of program acronyms, unless it's a way to make big programs sound less-big to Congress. "No, Senator, it's just an equipment upgrade."

I think we once figured up that if they moved the E-2 up a letter every time they made a major change to the plane, we should be on the E-2G or E-2H by now.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
The series qual for FO's was hitting the street right as I was in my last six months in the Fleet, and the biggest heartburn we-all had with it was having to learn the G2/Grim Reaper scope stuff. My RAG class was the first to do the G2-HE2K split up front, as opposed to a differences class post-stan check, so by the time this came around, none of the JO's in my squadron had so much as seen a CIS scope, much less ever played with one. Nor were we ever likely to need to use the knowledges, so this seemed like an enormous redass to no discernable purpose.

I still don't see the point to making One Big NATOPS. I still also don't get why they can't designate new versions in a T/M/S with letters instead of program acronyms, unless it's a way to make big programs sound less-big to Congress. "No, Senator, it's just an equipment upgrade."

I think we once figured up that if they moved the E-2 up a letter every time they made a major change to the plane, we should be on the E-2G or E-2H by now.

Most of it stemmed from the thought that with all the flip-flopping of variants between squadrons, you never knew what you might be flying the next year or so [case in point: 117 went from GII to MCU to HE2K in three years]. At the time, there also wasn't an HE2K sim to be had...anywhere.

As for the NATOPS, I couldn't agree more. Not only can you find what you're looking for, but you know that everything in your particular pub is pertinent to YOUR airframe. You won't see C-Hornet guys flipping through a pub and weeding out the SH stuff. Call me a purist, but it worked just fine that way when it was Grp0 and GrpII.

The reasoning behind the same series letter for everyone (officially, they're ALL E-2C's) was to avoid the full-tilt stem-to-stern flight test requirements and costs associated with a new model. If it's just an AFC/ECP, then no new regimen is required. Considering it didn't change the weight/balance or flight characteristics dramatically, new engines got it the + (for GrpII and NU), computers and scopes got it MCU/ACIS, and the full upgrade with CEC got it the HE2K tags. Much cheaper and faster than a complete test/eval bill.

The D model is another story...altogether. ["the D model is another story"]