• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Couple of hungry mouths to feed

silo_502_snova_12_desert_pistol_defense.jpg

Good for those pesky coyotes who constantly crap in my yard.

images

I thought about getting another nasty black rifle...but decided on this instead.

The line today at the Reno gunshow was horrible. I got there 2 hours early, thinking I could get in and out before the mad surge. Wrong. I was about the 300th person in line to get in. Picked up some ammo and my rationed 2000 primers.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Great purchase. Great gun. Dump her and buy another one with the money you'll be saving. Why have one when you can have several. Several what? What do you think.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
It was even sadder the next day when they issued them out and we realized our spiffy new drill rifles were heavier and more maint intensive than our old ones. :eek::(

Your bolt was welded? I had a leaded barrel (until I knocked the lead out accidentally) and the firing pin was ground off the trigger assy. Other than that, I think it would have shot.

They ground the firing pins down? They just removed them from all of ours. In fact, there's a huge box of them down in the armory just in case the shit ever hits the fan enough to warrant us being called to duty again.

The Virginia Militia, your 69th line of defense.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It was even sadder the next day when they issued them out and we realized our spiffy new drill rifles were heavier and more maint intensive than our old ones. :eek::(

Your bolt was welded? I had a leaded barrel (until I knocked the lead out accidentally) and the firing pin was ground off the trigger assy. Other than that, I think it would have shot.

Damn, at OCS we drilled with real M16A2s.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Haven't had much time lately, so here's an update on the barn:

-A Remington 1100 Tac followed me home from the shop at the local range a while back. Tight, consistent patters, negligible recoil, and fast follow ups. The pistol grip takes some getting used to, as it's a bit wide, and I think I need to invest in a larger headed safety, just to make it easier to engage with the grip. The larger, 'tactical' lever makes the action incredibly easy to operate, though, and it's reminiscent of the tactical charging handle latch I have on my AR.

-Found my own GSG-5, and A4s is right on the money: It's one of the most fun firearms I own to plink with. I mentioned that I was military, and the guy running the display knocked a few bucks off and tossed in an extra 22 round magazine.

-Doing my best to uphold the Marine v. Pawnshop stereotype, I ventured into a local one recently. The place is trying to do a bit more retail, and they had a brand new 'loaded' Springfield 1911A1 for $650. I couldn't pass that one up, even if I was looking for a commander-style 1911 and not another full size.

I'm still looking for that Commander, though. Anyone have any reasonably (< $1100) priced solutions?

FLY_USMC

pilot
How much did the Remington 1100 run you? I'm seriously thinking about trading for or selling outright my FNH TPS and getting either an 1100 Tactical or maybe a Mossberg 930 SPX. I was set on getting an 1100, but I've read quite a few good reviews of the Mossberg but though I've never owned one, the one pump action Mossberg I shot once felt less quality than an 870 I owned. But it's hard to beat at $550....and it seems nearly identical to the FNH SLP. I love my TPS...well...love it as much as you can having only put 35 rounds through it....but the ergonomics of it are outstanding. But I think I'd rather have an auto....at least for now. Who knows, maybe I'll get an auto and keep the FN as well. Would post some pictures since threads like this are worthless w/o pics, but I'm in the sandbox....far away from my toys. Have you seen that Kimber came out with a Tactical Custom with a rail and one other new railed fullsize?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
How much did the Remington 1100 run you? I'm seriously thinking about trading for or selling outright my FNH TPS and getting either an 1100 Tactical or maybe a Mossberg 930 SPX. I was set on getting an 1100, but I've read quite a few good reviews of the Mossberg but though I've never owned one, the one pump action Mossberg I shot once felt less quality than an 870 I owned. But it's hard to beat at $550....and it seems nearly identical to the FNH SLP. I love my TPS...well...love it as much as you can having only put 35 rounds through it....but the ergonomics of it are outstanding. But I think I'd rather have an auto....at least for now. Who knows, maybe I'll get an auto and keep the FN as well. Would post some pictures since threads like this are worthless w/o pics, but I'm in the sandbox....far away from my toys. Have you seen that Kimber came out with a Tactical Custom with a rail and one other new railed fullsize?

I just bought a Mossberg 930 SPX. At around $600 bucks it's a fantastic value and a rugged reliable weapon at half the price of an FN SLP. I know what you mean about the difference in feel between an 870 and a Mossberg pump but the 930 is stout as hell.

So far it's eaten everything I've put in it from light game loads to high brass buckshot and slugs. You don't have to fudge with the gas system to do it either. Mine shoots good groups with either slugs or 00 buckshot. I love the sights on that thing. Rear is fully adjustable for windage and elevation and the front sight is adjustable for elevation as well. Plus the rear sight is removable and you can mount anything you want on the rail.

There is one possible issue that you need to watch for on the SPX version. Some people have had problems with a slightly canted front sight. Mossy customer service will send you a new barrel if you get one like this but the best idea is to look at it before you buy. You can tell by eyeballing it if there is a cant. If yours is canted, net result of course is that to get it in the black you have to crank the rear sight over a bit giving up some windage adjustment. This is one of the few guns I'd advise buying from a gun shop rather than online. Dicks usually keeps some in stock.

Great shotgun.

Mossberg930.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I was actually looking for a 930 SPX when I bought the 1100. I had compared the two and shot a buddy's SPX, and they're pretty comparable. The SPX does come with a few more features for a bit less cash, but good luck trying to find one around here. By that, I mean Eastern NC, to include Cherry Point, Camp Lejeune, Wilmington, Goldsboro, and most places in between. They were pretty scarce at the Dixie Gun & Knife show in Raleigh, as well. I was about to have the Lejeune MCX* order me one, when I saw the 1100 at the range's shop for $700, plus tax. The price was comparable to other places, and about $50-60 less than what they were going for at the gun shows in the area. So I bit, and it's a great gun. But so is the SPX.

I hadn't seen Kimber's new stuff, but I haven't had much time to think lately, thanks to CINCWIFE (REIN) about ready to pop and prepping for (yet another) deployment. I've been hearing gripes about Kimber products lately, though. Nothing specific, just a general discord. Not sure what that's about, really, but I do have a buddy who went toe-to-toe with them over the finish on one of his 1911s. That's another story, though.

*--The MCX Annex at Lejeune is one of the best places locally to have order a firearm for you. They have a ton of distributors to choose from, and they can find you damn near whatever you're looking for, and usually for a decent price. They also have a tendency to reduce inventory that sits for longer than a couple months. I don't know why they don't sell firearms at Cherry Point. Apparently they used to, but no one was buying. I find that kind of hard to believe, being a Marine base, but that's above my pay grade.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Thanks Gents! The only *real thing stopping me from buying the 930....apart from being in Iraq....is I really wanted a pistol grip stock...and the one Mossberg offers looks retarded. I like the 1100's stock, but for $150 less....I'll just wait till someone makes an aftermarket one.

I've read some of the Kimber complaints, seems the majority of them are from the external extractor debacle. I shot my budies Kimber Tactical Custom II fullsize, and I loved it. Only thing is I wished it had a rail....because I might turn tacticool someday...while still keeping the aluminum frame. I got my wish, but Kimber changed back to the steel frame. Now I have to compare the Springfield Operator to the Kimber's and see which one I like. I'd like to get a 1911 someday.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
For years the only shotgun I ever owned was a Rem 870 that my dad bought before I was born. I still have that one plus 3 others in different configurations. My daughter shoots a 20 ga 870 Youth model. I have a .270 Rem 700 that's a great shooter. With all of that for some reason I've just never owned an 1100. Probably because for years I bought into the pump is better because it's more reliable school of thought. I don't any more. The numbers speak for themselves. The 1100 is a great shotgun and there are so many out there it's easy to find aftermarket stuff and a good used gun to trick out.

I bought a Kimber Custom II a few years ago. At the time I didn't know I wasn't supposed to buy one with an external extractor. (my Glock and S&W ran just fine with one) I know others did have problems but thankfully mine ran just fine. I gave it to my son for his birthday and he loves it. Still shoots great.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have some kind of mental illness or something. I bought a Pro Carry II Stainless today. I figure that I'd better get the purchases in while I can, because I've got a kid on the way and I'm outbound again soon.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Anyone know anything about Yildiz over/under shotguns? Academy has a good deal on them and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about their reputation. I have a Remington 1100 but I am looking for a nice, reliable (but hopefully inexpensive) o/u to use strictly for shooting skeet.

phrogpilot73

PSW & I's new weapon...

It started out looking like this:

0126290.jpg

Take a couple of weeks of a MO that loves guns scouring the internet, what was envisioned by an ASO, airframers who aren't busy, and an I-level guy that can do a damn good job at tig-welding and you end up with this:

DSCN0923.jpg

Can't wait to shoot it on Monday...