• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone shoot trap and/ or skeet? And if so, what’s your go to gun/ choke/ load?
I want to do some this summer. Picked up an old school Remington 1100 - just like the one I received when I turned 13. (unfortunately it was stolen a decade later). Plan on getting a 26”, improved cylinder choke.

When I used to go dove shooting back home in SC, it was Federal high brass 3 3/4 1 1/4 7 1/2’s. For skeet, it will be shot size #9’s.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I want to do some this summer. Picked up an old school Remington 1100 - just like the one I received when I turned 13. (unfortunately it was stolen a decade later). Plan on getting a 26”, improved cylinder choke.

When I used to go dove shooting back home in SC, it was Federal high brass 3 3/4 1 1/4 7 1/2’s. For skeet, it will be shot size #9’s.
Love the Remington 1100s- mine is stuck back in CA with my parents at the moment. I’ve always been a big 8 shot fan, but I’ll have to give the 9s a go if I can find some. I haven’t shot clays in over three years since joining, but yesterday got the opportunity to go shoot some with guys from my squadron. Had a blast (no pun intended). Also heard Nas Jax has an awesome skeet/ trap club I’m looking forward to checking out soon.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Instructed and pulled targets at a Trap and Skeet range in HS. Winchester 101, Remington 1100 and 870, and Browning BT-99 and Citori were 90% of the guns in the rack out front. The tech nor the game has changed in those 40+ years. Can't go wrong with any of those.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My boss was a FFL. Offered to order us Winchester 101s for cost. Less than $300 as I recall. I passed to buy mag wheels for my car. Dooh! ?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Winchester 101 Sporting is an excellent entry gun for clay target sports.... Deals are generally available....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Winchester 101 Sporting is an excellent entry gun for clay target sports.... Deals are generally available....
In the mid 70s they were made in Japan. Very good quality. As I recall the retail was around $500-700. At the Scottsdale AZ range I worked at you saw plenty of Perrazis, Parkers and other high dollar scatter guns, but the 101s and 1100s bridged the gap between hunters out for fun and practice and serious shooters who could hold their own in local competition.

I remember two guys who came out almost every weekend. They were a hoot. Garbage truck drivers by trade. Hard core hunters by avocation. They had no time for the ultra serious competition shooters. If a guy asked to see a target or have us put up the calibration pole they would often shoot the targets. Serious about safety and not much else. They introduced more of their friends to shooting and hunting than anyone I have ever met. It was a big day when they traded in their Remington 870s for Winchester 101s. They thought they were in tall cotton.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Ok so the Army has a new general purpose rifle to replace the M4 and M16... Pretty amazing. This would be a rifle I'd love to have in my safe. 6.8 mm "intermediate" cartridge...

Brownells breaks it down..

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ok so the Army has a new general purpose rifle to replace the M4 and M16... Pretty amazing. This would be a rifle I'd love to have in my safe. 6.8 mm "intermediate" cartridge...

Brownells breaks it down..

Nice rifle, but at $8000 it better get out of bed and shoot the bad guys for me!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice rifle, but at $8000 it better get out of bed and shoot the bad guys for me!
Yawn. The non-übertacticool version of the MCX for us low-speed high-drag types is $3000. I’ll wait for Sig to roll something out in that price range.

Assuming they aren’t on their way to becoming the next H oond K and flexing on the poors, anyway. Hopefully Sig doesn’t change their motto to “because you suck, and we hate you.”

ChuckMK23

pilot
Ammo prices are *starting* to come back down to earth - still an ample supply of Tula 55 grain steel cased .223 - interesting that the embargo hasn't brough disruption to availability.

Bought a Magpul M3 PMAG for the first time. I have a few older Gen 1 and Gen 2 PMAGS and a bunch of GI aluminum and Korean steel HK copies (very high quality and reliable - just heavy).

Anyways, the M3 - which is the *standard* DoD mag for M4/M16 rifles across all services and agencies - is superb piece of gear. I'm impressed. Light, strong, relliable and the DoD Coyote coloring is awesome. at $13-14 its a bargain. Highly recommended.

1653058819018.png

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Ammo prices are *starting* to come back down to earth - still an ample supply of Tula 55 grain steel cased .223 - interesting that the embargo hasn't brough disruption to availability.

Bought a Magpul M3 PMAG for the first time. I have a few older Gen 1 and Gen 2 PMAGS and a bunch of GI aluminum and Korean steel HK copies (very high quality and reliable - just heavy).

Anyways, the M3 - which is the *standard* DoD mag for M4/M16 rifles across all services and agencies - is superb piece of gear. I'm impressed. Light, strong, relliable and the DoD Coyote coloring is awesome. at $13-14 its a bargain. Highly recommended.

View attachment 35103
I bought a ton of those from brownells when they were like $9-10 a piece. Great investment imo.

number9

Contributor
I bought a ton of them when I lived in NH and sent them to my brother-in-law in OH before I moved (back) down to MA.

I have to buy pre-ban mags in MA, because obviously a decades-old GI mag is somehow less deadly than a new Magpul mag ?

I just bought some Magpul rebuild kits for the old GI mags; will be interested to see if it makes a difference or not.

Last edited: