• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anyways, the M3 - which is the *standard* DoD mag for M4/M16 rifles across all services and agencies

I think they're technically *a* standard (along with the STANAG 4179) specifically because the M2s don't work in M27s. The M2s were being used unofficially, but the spring pressure isn't strong enough for use in any of the -416 derivatives because of case jump in the mag. The EMAG addressed this, but it wasn't compliant with 4179, and thus begat the M3 to work in both the Stoner and HK designs.

M3s have been utterly reliable in my 416s, but I will say they are thicker, so if you have a tight mag well and/or start to get dirt/sand on the mag/into the mag well, the standard seat/pull/push check is even more necessary.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Kimber put together a pretty good deal on custom 1911s for the squadron. They did a really nice job.

I need to pick up a couple decent .45 mags for it now.

View attachment 35116View attachment 35117
Well done! I have a soft spot for Kimber 1911's Mine is in .45 as well and it runs like a sewing machine 30,000 + rounds later. All it's ever needed is new springs every 5000 rounds. Superb purchase and fun design.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Taurus G3C - sub compact 9mm - 12+1. With $25 USD rebate, out the door for $255. Well made polymer and steel striker fired pistol. Very impressed with manufacturing quality and finish - on par with Sig, Glock, S&W, FN, etc. The edges are blended and its made for CC. No issues at short range session with factory and reloaded ammo. "Second strike" trigger (kinda DA). Overall highly recommended. Takes Glock sights. 3x 12 round mags. I'm pleased with this purchase.

1654292498451.png

ChuckMK23

pilot
500 rounds later and pretty happy - reliable and no issues other than my own shooting abilities. Factory and reloads alike seem to function fine. Accurate enough for CCW/car/backpack defense use. 3 magazines is nice and they all feed reliably. Had no problems with plate rack at 25 yards. Decent sights. I had a bad reload and the second strike feature did the trick on what was a stubborn primer.

1657290473542.png

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
52281818148_4059bb4da5_b.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Which stock came with the rifle?
It was a stripped Brownell's lower that I built up several years ago. The upper is a factory LE agency turn-in, but the lower is an unfinished HK forging that Brownell's imported and had PWS machine for them. I put a B5 SOPMOD on it.

The intent of the picture was more focused on the mags. But for completeness, here's an older repost of the entire setup.

48838529721_d89fb056ec_b.jpg

ChuckMK23

pilot
So for us NAF newbies does the tax stamp stay with the upper and you can add any lower?

And the rubber band on your stock to hold a folded sling, where is that available?

BigTooona

Reserve AEDO
So for us NAF newbies does the tax stamp stay with the upper and you can add any lower?

And the rubber band on your stock to hold a folded sling, where is that available?

For ARs, the lower receiver is the component that is regulated/serialized and referenced on the stamp, so you can add any upper to a registered lower. For some other guns the "upper" is the regulated component, off the top of my head like the Ruger Mk pistols where the barrel is serialized.

Other question, it's a rifle sling retention/"ranger" band, just search that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When you file the Form 1 (or Form 4), it will ask for the barrel length. Typically that's meant to stay with the registered part. Because of the modularity of the AR, you can have more than one length on the same lower. The ATF says that the original barrel length needs to stay with the lower, or if you destroy/sell that barrel, then they are supposed to be notified of the barrel change, which is just a written letter to them for notification.

Personally, I always played nice and have a matching barrel for each Form 1 I've submitted, even if it's not attached to the lower at times.

For bands, I recommend these. The SOB bands are very resilient in the heat and sun. The only bands I've snapped have been because a cut was accidentally started on the band and not because of a breakdown of the material (like what happens to a rubber band in the sun).