• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Went on a bit of a revolver binge of late. I have early JM Marlin lever actions in .22 lr, 357 and 44 Mag so of course I need revolvers to match.

The Smith brothers top to bottom.

686 no dash 4" .357 mag
617 no dash 4" .22lr
629-4 6" 44 mag

View attachment 34457
Nice! I have been on the hunt for a 5" 625 in .45 ACP for years - to no avail. I picked up a decent used Ruger GP100 in .357 that is very smooth and shoots well especially with .38 spl wadcutters. The 629 8-round in 9mm was all the rage for a while in USPSA and now I see these all over the used market as its lost its appeal with the action-shooting sport revolver crowd.

I would recommend Nill Grips in Germany if you are looking to replace any of your furniture... Nice collection

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Thanks Chuck. If I see that 625 5" before you do it will be mine. I had a very nice early one that I sold years ago in a moment of weakness. That one is probably number one on my all time "I can't believe I sold that" list. Thanks for the tip on the grips. That pretty wooden grip evidently is prized by S&W collectors. I'll keep it but I'll put something more utilitarian on that 617. It's about to be shot a lot as it's identical to the 686 except for the .22 lr caliber

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Went on a bit of a revolver binge of late. I have early JM Marlin lever actions in .22 lr, 357 and 44 Mag so of course I need revolvers to match.

686 no dash 4" .357 mag
617 no dash 4" .22lr
629-4 6" 44 mag

View attachment 34457
Always loved the 617 as a kit gun and inexpensive analog for K frame training, as you will be using it.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

686 no dash 4" .357 mag
617 no dash 4" .22lr
629-4 6" 44 mag

View attachment 34457
I've been looking for that exact 686. Local shop had a snub nose, but I want the 4". I asked if he could order one and was told they can't special order anything right now, their distributor gives them 24hr notice of what they are sending them. Same goes for the Glock Blue Label program, they can only give me a discount on the pistols that Glock sends them for the program. I wanted a 17 and they said it wasn't sent as part of the program so they couldn't give me the discount on it...

number9

Contributor
Has anyone purchased a Garand from the CMP recently? I'd love to get one but the only option is the Expert Grade (for a cool $1,100). Should I just wait until lower-grade rifles come back in stock?

I'm only buying one for the sake of having one, and to (hopefully) pass it on to my son some day.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone purchased a Garand from the CMP recently? I'd love to get one but the only option is the Expert Grade (for a cool $1,100). Should I just wait until lower-grade rifles come back in stock?

I'm only buying one for the sake of having one, and to (hopefully) pass it on to my son some day.
There won’t be any lower grades. CMP is slowly cycling out of the Garand business. All they will be selling in the future are rebuilds with different parts and new or like new barrels.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Purchased Service Grade a few years ago - I would absolutely go with a Rack Grade - the condition of the rifle you will be delivered generally *far exceeds* the grade specification. You will be pleasantly surprised. Go for it.

Edit - @Griz882 there were a number of Rack and Service Grade rifles in Camp Perry store last time I was there.

number9

Contributor
There won’t be any lower grades. CMP is slowly cycling out of the Garand business. All they will be selling in the future are rebuilds with different parts and new or like new barrels.

Purchased Service Grade a few years ago - I would absolutely go with a Rack Grade - the condition of the rifle you will be delivered generally *far exceeds* the grade specification. You will be pleasantly surprised. Go for it.
Thanks guys, this really helps.

On another note, can you each lend me $550? ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It won't help your budget, but I'd also keep an eye on Classic Firearms. They've seen to get in a lot of surplus guns lately, including M1 Carbines, which haven't been on the market in any real numbers for a long time. Again, you won't get CMP prices, but it's another option to keep an eye on (I think they're out of M1s at the moment, but may have more crates coming).

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Anyone shoot trap and/ or skeet? And if so, what’s your go to gun/ choke/ load?

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Edit - @Griz882 there were a number of Rack and Service Grade rifles in Camp Perry store last time I was there.
That’s good news, but they aren’t selling them online. Maybe a flight is in order?