• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Wet work...

48931334243_b41597f0e3_h.jpg

Can you give any info on how you purchased this rifle? I just went down the HKPro.com wormhole for more than an hour and it seems like theres less than a dozen of these in civilian hands and they came from PD's? How hard did you have to look to find one? And did you have a massive hassle with the ATF? Also, for what HKPro.com says they go for you could get transferable M-16?...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
All these cool "weapons of war". I love them, but have never made the investment myself. I shoot my friend's black rifles. Without getting into War Zone politics (or attitudes), aren't you guys just a little worried that the Presidential election will go bad for, at least, AR owners? That is a sizable investment to be liquidated. No way you get market rate as you are all evil killers in waiting.

The logistics of confiscation don't seem plausible to me. Confiscating the most popular rifle (estimated 5 million in civilian hands) would be a monumental achievement. I don't think that the politicians talking about it have really done much though or research on what it would entail.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't remember, when you pour a black and tan, is the black supposed to be on top or on the bottom? I think I did this right.

49074993337_8e3daf849e_h.jpg
Never had the urge to bust out the rattlecan, but that optic proves you to be both a gentleman and a scholar. :D

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All these cool "weapons of war". I love them, but have never made the investment myself. I shoot my friend's black rifles. Without getting into War Zone politics (or attitudes), aren't you guys just a little worried that the Presidential election will go bad for, at least, AR owners? That is a sizable investment to be liquidated. No way you get market rate as you are all evil killers in waiting.
The President can't pass laws alone. What matters is what can make it through two houses of Congress AND the inevitable litigation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The President can't pass laws alone. What matters is what can make it through two houses of Congress AND the inevitable litigation.
You think we will always have divided government? We also know decent damage can be done with executive orders.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Having lived in California, I can understand the sentiment. On the state level, it seems like a valid concern. Right or wrong, as I've gotten into the "sport" of AR-15s, the one major point that doesn't seem to be in the legislative cross-hair is NFA items. Yes, CA doesn't allow them, but that was long ago. Otherwise, the "action" of those trying to keep people "safe" have been more towards Title 1 items. Could that change? Absolutely, but most post-Newtown legislation hasn't been in that direction. Right or wrong, most of what I've collected has ended up being Title 2 stuff (on non-rifle Title 1). Again, no guarantee, but it helps. Some would argue it could also make it easier given your concern.

Can you give any info on how you purchased this rifle? I just went down the HKPro.com wormhole for more than an hour and it seems like theres less than a dozen of these in civilian hands and they came from PD's? How hard did you have to look to find one? And did you have a massive hassle with the ATF? Also, for what HKPro.com says they go for you could get transferable M-16?...

Sure. Lower is a Brownell's lower after they purchased H&K forgings and had them completed by PWS (an overall neat thing, despite the couple of finishing shortcuts that are noticeable). The upper is a factory 14.5" upper that I stumbled upon while starting to put parts together for a non-factory-barreled upper. Not sure what HKPro was saying about this kind of upper, but they seem to be more rare, but certainly NOT M16-type type of value. Mine did come from a PD (apparently) and included everything except the actual lower with a AF-marked barrel/receiver (2005, SOCOM-profiled barrel). HK has since frowned on that practice, which has pushed the value of any factory upper up as they expect anything newer to be completely demilled.

Brownells (and the other HK sources) seem to have a relatively steady stream of HK pieces over time. Nefarious Arms is currently manufacturing their own sourced HK barrels (chrome-lined barrels with HK barrel extensions, made to the correct profile dimensions, in 10.4, 14.5 and 16.1" lengths). If you're interested in that direction, PM me and I may have an easy option for you.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You think we will always have divided government? We also know decent damage can be done with executive orders.
There's a huge limit on what can feasibly be done with executive orders, and a large portion of what is feasible in Congress is going to hinge on how the Supreme Court handles not only NYSRPA v NYC, but the ton of other firearms cases up on its potential docket.

In all likelihood, yes, most will be what's known as Grant, Vacate, and Remanded after NYSRPA is decided. GVR is the Supreme Court telling the lower court "Go look at this other ruling we just made and try again." But the Supreme Court generally also takes cases when the Circuit Courts are split on how to handle an issue. I'm no JD or Con Law expert, just an interested amateur, but I doubt NYSRPA is going to be the end of the Supreme Court's 2A jurisprudence. At some level, one way or the other, this country needs to come to an understanding of what the 2A protects, and the Supreme Court needs to stop dodging the issue, enforce Heller and McDonald, and explain what the left and right limits are . . . so to speak.

There are plenty of potential laws that could reduce gun violence without banning all the things. Shame that the Dems refuse to understand this. I mean, according to the FBI crime stats, you're over 2 times more likely to be beaten to death than killed with any sort of rifle.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I've believed for a long time that all "Assault rifles" will eventually become NFA items. Except for the $200 stamp and the wait that wouldn't change much for me. NFA toys seem to follow me around anyway

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've believed for a long time that all "Assault rifles" will eventually become NFA items. Except for the $200 stamp and the wait that wouldn't change much for me. NFA toys seem to follow me around anyway
I suppose that would be the sort of solution the anti gun folks would like. More taxes, more regulation, a list of owners, and yet no real solution to gun crime. Perfect for people that are into "just do something."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just went down the HKPro.com wormhole for more than an hour and it seems like theres less than a dozen of these in civilian hands and they came from PD's?

I reread your post this morning and I think I understand your question a little better. I think you may be talking about the 416SF? As I mentioned above, this is just a factory upper on a clone lower and not an actual 416SF complete rifle.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I reread your post this morning and I think I understand your question a little better. I think you may be talking about the 416SF? As I mentioned above, this is just a factory upper on a clone lower and not an actual 416SF complete rifle.

Correct. I initially thought your rifle was an early model complete SF rifle. Your rifle appeals to me more after learning how you did it. While having one of the dozen or so complete rifles would be cool from a collector stand point, I can't see spending 12-28k on a semi-automatic weapon. I'd love to have a 416. I'll PM you for more info.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finally sprung this guy from background check/waiting period jail. Now I can practice for any other pistol quals DoD wants to throw at me. ? Just couldn’t go for the FDE . . . I mean “Coyote Brown” finish, though.

Ergonomics on this pistol are an incredible upgrade over the boat anchor that is the M9. I don’t think I’ve ever handled a pistol, especially a full size one, that feels and points as naturally. Now to head out to the range and see how the rubber meets the road . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Finally got this installed and did some initial zeroing and a little shooting today. Better than a RMR, but not sure it's the panacea it was made out to be. Having a dedicated cut slide probably helps a bit, since it would lower the optic slightly, but it's what I got for now.

49456575077_d080da7f17_b.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Finally got this installed and did some initial zeroing and a little shooting today. Better than a RMR, but not sure it's the panacea it was made out to be. Having a dedicated cut slide probably helps a bit, since it would lower the optic slightly, but it's what I got for now.

49456575077_d080da7f17_b.jpg

I've long seen the light re: slide mounted optics on pistols. In competition its rare I ever shoot iron sights - USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.

My M&P paired with a tritium based dual illumination RMR is perfect for me. The RMR is going on 7 or 8 years old and the tritium still glows nicely and in daylight the dot is augmented through the light channel up top. I may not be fast but I'm plenty accurate. The plain black Dawson sights co-witness with the dot and are simply there to help me index on first shot from draw - something that works for me. The RMR mounting is fairly bullet proof and I routinely rack the slide with the RMR body.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My main issue with the RMR is that the grip angle is so markedly different than what I shoot most of the time (G17 with a T1) that shooting with the RMR becomes somewhat negative training. I run the T1 in 2-gun, so that's what I practice with most of the time. But...the RMR is still a nice tool to have.