• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motorcycle Safety Course

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
well...at first I got shit for not getting new vance and hines pipes as the new accesory, now I gotta deal with this crappola?? :icon_tong Seriously, I'd never do any serious roadtrips w/o a windscreen..... plus it helps to keep the bugs out of my teeth. HD really gets you with all the components you can buy, particularly for softtails. I just put a new set of hand grips on that ran $150.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
HD really gets you with all the components you can buy, particularly for softtails. I just put a new set of hand grips on that ran $150.

I know how that goes. Kuryakyn is a great company to blow your paycheck on. I've added quite a bit of their accessories - it makes me happy :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
well...at first I got shit for not getting new vance and hines pipes as the new accesory, now I gotta deal with this crappola?? :icon_tong Seriously, I'd never do any serious roadtrips w/o a windscreen..... plus it helps to keep the bugs out of my teeth. HD really gets you with all the components you can buy, particularly for softtails. I just put a new set of hand grips on that ran $150.

You should close your lips when you ride. :D

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You know its safer to ride with a full face... but it looks ooooohhh so ghey on a cruiser...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had no w/s on my Crossbones for about two weeks before I caved and bought one. It's not the bugs in the teeth that are the problem, so much as the rocks in the eyes. Ow ow ow...

Anyway. Does the MSF course at NASP have loaner bikes? Most of the civvie courses do, but the military courses I've seen were strictly BYOB.

I took it at Norfolk shortly after I bought my first bike ('99 Sportster). The heavy bike guys didn't have much trouble, but some of the younger dudes on the crotch rockets had trouble with the slow-speed parts. Just remember - put your feet down whenever you need to. You can walk the bike through all the tests and still pass, but drop it once and you're done.

Pensacola H-D also offers the course, if for some reason you can't get into the on-base in a timely fashion.

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
NASP has loaner bikes (Rebels, Nighthawks, and a couple dual sport Yamahas) and I was told NASWF is due to get 'em shortly.

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
Standard driver's license. I was told (but have yet to confirm) you can walk into a FL DMV with an out of state license and your BRC completion cert and walk out with a Florida license with Motorcycle endorsement.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The course in VA required a m/c learner's permit, which means taking the written test. An MSF card validated the driving portion of the test for your full m/c license.

JGlo

May I reccomend a Triumph? There is a good dealer in Pcola, and support in JAX, SD and NORVA.

Euro bike, but Bonnevilles are more beginner friendly without being outgrown.
Okay, first of all just have to say the info on the this chat line has been more helpful than anything else I have found online. Second, just bought a Triumph America--- am deployed to HOA right now but the bike will be at my house when I get home in a few weeks. Third, am Army but don't hold it against me! Fourth, never driven a bike before but am stoked about it so any info is great. Any suggestions on helmets. Yes I know a full face is safer but I am a girl and is that really cool on a cruiser????? Jokin'.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Full face helmets are kinda hot and uncomfortable. Whether that's important to you while the doc is pulling gravel out of your face and discussing your skin graft options is up to you.