• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational statement

T

tbrooks1124

I love how SNFOGs and SNAGs are giving advice in a thread Questions about becoming a Navy Officer...now that is some funny sh#$

If you would like to classify me as a SNFOG or a SNAG, fine. I may be some chick from Pensacola to you, but I am not an idiot. I come from a family who has served in YOUR military since WWI. I was a History major in college who spent countless hours at the base library working with the Historians and doing research. I taught English to high school students and edited MANY letters that these kids wrote to colleges.

Would you like the rest of my resume? Here it is.

I work in Medical Sales. More specifically, I manage the technology of 7 states. NOt bad for my second year. I own a home, have a college education, have all of my teeth, don't speak(notice I said speak not TALK) with an accent, volunteer in my community, and make more money than those who are an O-3 and below.

So...please enlighten me. What exactly can YOU do for ME?

Nothing.

I was simply trying to help this kid get his letter in order so he can become one of you. ANd, I was advising on sentence structure, not content. But, what do I know? I am just some groupie.

I thought this forum might be a good place to post my rental. I was directed here by one of you. :icon_smil

Brett1

Banned
If you would like to classify me as a SNFOG or a SNAG, fine. I may be some chick from Pensacola to you, but I am not an idiot. I come from a family who has served in YOUR military since WWI. I was a History major in college who spent countless hours at the base library working with the Historians and doing research. I taught English to high school students and edited MANY letters that these kids wrote to colleges.

Would you like the rest of my resume? Here it is.

I work in Medical Sales. More specifically, I manage the technology of 7 states. NOt bad for my second year. I own a home, have a college education, have all of my teeth, don't speak(notice I said speak not TALK) with an accent, volunteer in my community, and make more money than those who are an O-3 and below.

So...please enlighten me. What exactly can YOU do for ME?

Nothing.

I was simply trying to help this kid get his letter in order so he can become one of you. ANd, I was advising on sentence structure, not content. But, what do I know? I am just some groupie.

I thought this forum might be a good place to post my rental. I was directed here by one of you. :icon_smil

Yeah, yeah........ but what do you look like in a g-string and pasties????

T

tbrooks1124

Give MasterBates permission to post those pictures then.

Post whatever. There is not one single picture of me circulating this world that I would be embarrassed to show anyone. Well, there was that one time...

Kidding. MB, just pick the ones that make me look the best. :D

If you guys don't stay on task here, this thread will get moved...again. :)

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Hey all...Looking for edits/opinions of my motivational statement. If you are morally opposed to the idea of having a motivational statement edited, please refrain from posting in this thread -- I don't want to hear it, and I personally believe that any good piece of writing gets looked over by multiple editors for grammar and clarity.

The biggest suggestion I'm seeking is how to cut down my statement -- it is 100 words over the 400 word limit (or does it even matter? It only takes up half the provided space on the application). This has already been revised a few times, so it's 95% complete. I plan on getting my application into my recruiter tomorrow afternoon. So without further ado:
----------------------------------------------------------------
There are few things more American than a good burger. Many people use pre-made, frozen patties out of convenience, even though this sacrifices taste. Their reasoning is that it’s “just a burger,” but I don’t see it that way. I prefer to make my burgers from scratch, so I can add the perfect combination of spices. The extra time it takes me to mix together quality ingredients, mold some patties, and cook them just right results in numerous compliments and satisfied palettes at every barbecue. But my commitment to be the best and my desire to serve others go far beyond cooking burgers, which is why I make an excellent candidate for a U.S. Naval officer.

I anticipate that a job as a Naval officer will be a challenging one. I intend to approach that challenge with the same zeal in which I have undertook all of my jobs, consistently resulting in outstanding performance. As a teacher at Kaplan, 62% of my students rated me “excellent” overall, the highest rating they can give. Moreover, students routinely request to be in my class at the local High School where I teach. As a coordinator at Homegate, I consistently won the bonus for most work completed over the course of the week, even though I have only been with them for six weeks. I always put forth the maximum effort possible to succeed at my job, and I will take the same approach towards my duties as a Naval officer.

Nothing can demonstrate my dedication and assiduous nature more than my training at L.I. Tae-Kwon-Do. I have been with the organization for 12 years and have worked my way up to 2nd degree black belt. One of the most valuable lessons I learned as a black belt is that leadership comes from example. Students look towards black belts as models of how they should perform and conduct themselves. Therefore, it is important that I give my best effort while both training and leading classes, so that I can encourage others to perform at their peaks as well. If I am to become an officer, I will be called upon to lead our sailors in defending our country; this vital lesson in leadership that I learned in my study of Tae-Kwon-Do will serve me – and consequently, them – well.

There is much more to the U.S. than burgers. It is a country that represents the ideals of liberty, democracy, justice, and entrepreneurship – ideals that are worth defending. But above everything else, the U.S. represents a land of opportunity. Serving my country as a Naval officer provides me with the opportunity to grow as a person by further developing my character, leadership, and discipline. Furthermore, today’s technology is advancing exponentially. By working as a nuclear trained officer with the world’s premier technology and defense systems, I will have more options for career advancement either in the Navy or in the civilian world. I look forward to taking advantage of these opportunities while giving my best effort to defending my country.

Where do I start?

I am sure that you have already sent this in, but in case you have not, I have a few minor suggestions.

First, you aren't a bad writer but you are really "nuking" this thing. I have no doubt, as others have stated, that you will be a great NTO.

Simple is better. Glad to hear the burger thing is gone in paragraph #1. I would strike it in the last paragraph as well. Generally, if you turn a phrase that you think sounds particularly good, get rid of it. You gusy tend to go on the flowery side and that can only hurt.

"I anticipate that a job as a Naval officer will be a challenging one."

No. Try, " I know that being a Nuclear trained officer will be challenging." Eliminate any passive voice.

I undertook or I have undertaken. Not, " I have undertook."

"I always put forth the maximum effort possible to succeed at my job, and I will take the same approach towards my duties as a Naval officer.'

Try using a semicolon in the above sentence where the comma is. I think it sets off the second phrase better. I dunno, I am big on semicolons.

Strike out all the great things about America in the last paragraph. It is a bit much IMHO.

Essentially, the motivational statement is there for two reasons: to make sure that you aren't a complete tool (you aren't), and to help make a decision between equally qualified candidates. You have nothing to worry about since you will be invited to the interview based on your grades and other scores, not your writing abilities. NOTE: Naval Reactors is a different story. To join them you need to be perfect at everything. I wish I was kidding.

For NUPOC, you are competing against a standard, not other guys, so relax about the essay. After you get rid of the burger stuff that is.

Soooo, to all of you aspiring officer candidates, don't over think the essay like our boy here is so honorably doing. Write a simple essay that conveys your desire to be an officer and what you bring to the table, make sure the grammar and style is okay and sleep well.

tbrooks1124- You rock! Parallel sentence structure, that is awesome. I have a brother I'd like to set you up with if you are ever in Colorado.

Why listen to me? I don't know. Maybe because I am a former NUPOC recruiter, a current English teacher and I have your best interest in mind.

VP Love,

Steve

T

tbrooks1124

Where do I start?

I am sure that you have already sent this in, but in case you have not, I have a few minor suggestions.

First, you aren't a bad writer but you are really "nuking" this thing. I have no doubt, as others have stated, that you will be a great NTO.

Simple is better. Glad to hear the burger thing is gone in paragraph #1. I would strike it in the last paragraph as well. Generally, if you turn a phrase that you think sounds particularly good, get rid of it. You gusy tend to go on the flowery side and that can only hurt.

"I anticipate that a job as a Naval officer will be a challenging one."

No. Try, " I know that being a Nuclear trained officer will be challenging." Eliminate any passive voice.

I undertook or I have undertaken. Not, " I have undertook."

"I always put forth the maximum effort possible to succeed at my job, and I will take the same approach towards my duties as a Naval officer.'

Try using a semicolon in the above sentence where the comma is. I think it sets off the second phrase better. I dunno, I am big on semicolons.

Strike out all the great things about America in the last paragraph. It is a bit much IMHO.

Essentially, the motivational statement is there for two reasons: to make sure that you aren't a complete tool (you aren't), and to help make a decision between equally qualified candidates. You have nothing to worry about since you will be invited to the interview based on your grades and other scores, not your writing abilities. NOTE: Naval Reactors is a different story. To join them you need to be perfect at everything. I wish I was kidding.

For NUPOC, you are competing against a standard, not other guys, so relax about the essay. After you get rid of the burger stuff that is.

Soooo, to all of you aspiring officer candidates, don't over think the essay like our boy here is so honorably doing. Write a simple essay that conveys your desire to be an officer and what you bring to the table, make sure the grammar and style is okay and sleep well.

tbrooks1124- You rock! Parallel sentence structure, that is awesome. I have a brother I'd like to set you up with if you are ever in Colorado.

Why listen to me? I don't know. Maybe because I am a former NUPOC recruiter, a current English teacher and I have your best interest in mind.

VP Love,

Steve

I am also a fan of the properly placed participle too.

T

tbrooks1124

A good natured groupie........I like that. Just for you, whenever you're involved in a thread about the cockpit, I will refer to it as a box office.

Sorry, back on topic.

Typically, yes. Good natured, that is.

You may call it whatever you like. Not easily offended. Obviously. :p

Goob83

None
Spekkio, I have taken the liberty to re-write your statement into a much more concise and effective document. It will let the board know that you are functioning on a much higher level. Behold:

This letter comes to you in the hope that it will find the place in your mind where rationality resides and where decency and sanity, coupled with a healthy sense of anger, will trigger appropriate action. One of the first facts we should face is that for United States Navy's larcenous plans to succeed, it needs to "dumb down" our society. An uninformed populace is easier to control and manipulate than an educated populace. Within a short period of time, schoolchildren will stop being required to learn the meanings of words like "incomprehensibleness" and "ultramicrochemistry". They will be incapable of comprehending that United States Navy doesn't use words for communication or for exchanging information. It uses them to disarm, to hypnotize, to mislead, and to deceive. The law is not just a moral stance. It is the consensus of society on our minimum standards of behavior. Even though United States Navy gives flattering titles to its natural distempers, if we are powerless to make United States Navy answer for its wrongdoings, it is because we have allowed United States Navy to provide snotty wimps with a milieu in which they can "solve" all our problems by talking them to death.
We must overcome the fears that beset us every day of our lives. We must overcome the fear that United States Navy will see to it that all patriotic endeavors are directed down blind alleys, where they end in frustration and discouragement. And to overcome these fears, we must set the stage so that my next letter will begin from a new and much higher level of influence. I don't need to tell you that it's shocking just how quasi-intolerant United States Navy can be. That should be self-evident. What is less evident is that I can easily see United States Navy performing the following lascivious, ghastly acts. First, it will create a new cottage industry around its condescending form of interdenominationalism. Then, it will control your bank account, your employment, your personal safety, and your mind. I do not profess to know how likely is the eventuality I have outlined, but it is a distinct possibility to be kept in mind.
Imagine, as it is not hard to do, that United States Navy's the type of organization who would tell everyone else what to do if it got the chance. It then follows that I frequently talk about how a large percentage of United States Navy's helpers can be termed possession-obsessed. I would drop the subject, except that the key to its soul is its longing for the effortless, irresponsible, automatic consciousness of an animal. United States Navy dreads the necessity, the risk, and the responsibility of rational cognition. As a result, it has a knack for convincing the worst classes of predaceous self-proclaimed arbiters of taste and standards there are that anyone who dares to fight tooth and nail against it can expect to suffer hair loss and tooth decay as a result. That's called marketing. The underlying trick is to use sesquipedalian terms like "undiscriminatingness" and "pseudointernationalistic" to keep its sales pitch from sounding deranged. That's why you really have to look hard to see that I've tried explaining to United States Navy's advocates that the costs of United States Navy's hijinks outweigh their benefits. Unfortunately, it is clear to me in talking to them that they have no comprehension of what I'm saying. I might as well be talking to creatures from Mars. In fact, I'd bet Martians would be more likely to discern that I believe I have found my calling. My calling is to prescribe a course of action. And just let it try and stop me. I, hardheaded cynic that I am, have a hard time trying to reason with people who remain calm when they see United States Navy gain a virtual stranglehold on many facets of our educational system. I am shocked and angered by United States Navy's uneducated improprieties. Such shameful conduct should never be repeated.
I have begged United States Navy's surrogates to step forth and challenge the present and enrich the future. To date, not a single soul has agreed to help in this fashion. Are they worried about how United States Navy might retaliate? We already have our answer; as a respected journalist put it, "Raising the volume, increasing the stridency, or stressing the emotionalism of an argument does not improve its validity". He probably could have added that I suppose it's predictable, though terribly sad, that juvenile layabouts with stronger voices than minds would revert to lackluster behavior. But I recommend paying close attention to the praxeological method developed by the economist Ludwig von Mises and using it as a technique to expose the connections between the wretched problems that face us and the key issues of Trotskyism and obscurantism. The praxeological method is useful in this context because it employs praxeology, the general science of human action, to explain why it's likely that sooner or later United States Navy will impose pudibund new restrictions on society just to satisfy some sort of patronizing drive for power if we don't stop it now. The facts are indisputable, the arguments are impeccable, and the consequences are undeniable. So why does it claim that it would sooner give up money, fame, power, and happiness than perform a heartless act? To answer that question, we need first to consider United States Navy's thought process, which generally takes the following form: (1) United States Navy is the one who will lead us to our great shining future, so (2) its mistakes are always someone else's fault. Therefore, (3) we should be grateful for the precious freedom to be robbed and kicked in the face by such a noble creature as it and thus, (4) going through the motions of working is the same as working. As you can see, United States Navy's reasoning makes no sense, which leads me to believe that the spectrum of views between ageism and onanism is not a line but a circle at which choleric hostes generis humani and malign, effrontive weirdos meet. To properly place United States Navy somewhere in that spectrum, one needs to realize that United States Navy's expedients are destructive. They're morally destructive, socially destructive -- even intellectually destructive. And, as if that weren't enough, some inarticulate slimeballs are actually considering helping United States Navy rip apart causes that others feel strongly about. How quickly such people forget that they were lied to, made fun of, and ridiculed by United States Navy on numerous occasions. You know what we'd have if everybody wanted to blacklist United States Navy's enemies as terrorist sympathizers or traitors? Total chaos.
On several occasions I have heard United States Navy state that it has its moral compass in tact. I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a comment. What I consider far more important, though, is that some of the facts I'm about to present may seem shocking. This they certainly are. However, someone just showed me a memo supposedly written by United States Navy. The memo spells out its plans to appropriate sacred symbols for truculent purposes. If this memo is authentic, it tells us that United States Navy occasionally shows what appears to be warmth, joy, love, or compassion. You should realize, however, that these positive expressions are more feigned than experienced and invariably serve an ulterior motive, such as to break down age-old institutions and customs. I am hurt, furious, and embarrassed. Why am I hurt? Because United States Navy keeps insisting that it has the trappings of deity. To me, there is something fundamentally wrong with that story. Maybe it's that I overheard one of United States Navy's chums say, "Divine ichor flows through United States Navy's veins." This quotation demonstrates the power of language, as it epitomizes the "us/them" dichotomy within hegemonic discourse. As for me, I prefer to use language to shine a light on United States Navy's efforts to rot our minds with the hallucinatory drug of scapegoatism. Why am I furious? Because almost every day, United States Navy outreaches itself in setting new records for arrogance, deceit, and greed. It's indeed breathtaking to watch it. And why am I embarrassed? Because there is no place in this country where we are safe from United States Navy's minions, no place where we are not targeted for hatred and attack. In closing, I consider this letter to be required reading for everyone who still cares that United States Navy has lost contact with reality. Unfortunately, with our nation's media being as controlled as it is, there's no way that this letter will be widely publicized. Therefore, I'm counting on you to pass on this letter to all of your e-mail contacts. Thank you.

NOPE NO GOOD MORE THAN 400 words you fail hehehehehe:tongue2_1:D:eek::(:sleep_125