• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational statement

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hey all...Looking for edits/opinions of my motivational statement. If you are morally opposed to the idea of having a motivational statement edited, please refrain from posting in this thread -- I don't want to hear it, and I personally believe that any good piece of writing gets looked over by multiple editors for grammar and clarity.

The biggest suggestion I'm seeking is how to cut down my statement -- it is 100 words over the 400 word limit (or does it even matter? It only takes up half the provided space on the application). This has already been revised a few times, so it's 95% complete. I plan on getting my application into my recruiter tomorrow afternoon. So without further ado:
----------------------------------------------------------------
There are few things more American than a good burger. Many people use pre-made, frozen patties out of convenience, even though this sacrifices taste. Their reasoning is that it’s “just a burger,” but I don’t see it that way. I prefer to make my burgers from scratch, so I can add the perfect combination of spices. The extra time it takes me to mix together quality ingredients, mold some patties, and cook them just right results in numerous compliments and satisfied palettes at every barbecue. But my commitment to be the best and my desire to serve others go far beyond cooking burgers, which is why I make an excellent candidate for a U.S. Naval officer.

I anticipate that a job as a Naval officer will be a challenging one. I intend to approach that challenge with the same zeal in which I have undertook all of my jobs, consistently resulting in outstanding performance. As a teacher at Kaplan, 62% of my students rated me “excellent” overall, the highest rating they can give. Moreover, students routinely request to be in my class at the local High School where I teach. As a coordinator at Homegate, I consistently won the bonus for most work completed over the course of the week, even though I have only been with them for six weeks. I always put forth the maximum effort possible to succeed at my job, and I will take the same approach towards my duties as a Naval officer.

Nothing can demonstrate my dedication and assiduous nature more than my training at L.I. Tae-Kwon-Do. I have been with the organization for 12 years and have worked my way up to 2nd degree black belt. One of the most valuable lessons I learned as a black belt is that leadership comes from example. Students look towards black belts as models of how they should perform and conduct themselves. Therefore, it is important that I give my best effort while both training and leading classes, so that I can encourage others to perform at their peaks as well. If I am to become an officer, I will be called upon to lead our sailors in defending our country; this vital lesson in leadership that I learned in my study of Tae-Kwon-Do will serve me – and consequently, them – well.

There is much more to the U.S. than burgers. It is a country that represents the ideals of liberty, democracy, justice, and entrepreneurship – ideals that are worth defending. But above everything else, the U.S. represents a land of opportunity. Serving my country as a Naval officer provides me with the opportunity to grow as a person by further developing my character, leadership, and discipline. Furthermore, today’s technology is advancing exponentially. By working as a nuclear trained officer with the world’s premier technology and defense systems, I will have more options for career advancement either in the Navy or in the civilian world. I look forward to taking advantage of these opportunities while giving my best effort to defending my country.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yea, I know the burger part is a little...unconventional, but I thought it gave the essay a little more character than the average motivational statement. The goal was to basically say that I am a perfectionist even with things as mundane as making a burger without actually saying "Hi, I am a perfectionist. You should believe me just cuz..."; however, I don't know if the message comes across as such. Yet another reason why I'm posting this here to get opinions on it.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Take out the burger part. It doesnt really convince me your a perfectionist... only that you really like making burgers.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I agree. Get rid of anything having to do with burgers and resubmit for review. The mention Tae-Kwon-Do...I'm not so sure. Going navy nuke? Is there anything else worth mentioning? 4.0 GPA? Captain of a varsity team? Eagle Scout?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why would I mention things in my essay that are contained elsewhere in my application? My gpa is 3.72, I got 90th percentile on the SATs and MCATS (I wanted to be a dr. but med school wouldn't have me). I played numerous sports in high school including lacrosse, hockey, and bowling, along with pickup games of baseball and basketball in the summer with my friends on an almost daily basis. I stuck with martial arts in college. I still also bowl and play softball in leagues. They can see all this and then some on the 2nd or 3rd page of the app, I see no reason to repeat it in limited space.

Incidentally, it's why I think the 2nd paragraph is more expendable than the first: my job performance is likely to be reflected in the letters of recommendation I am receiving from my supervisors at both organizations (and others as well). But if the peanut gallery says that the first paragraph isn't good, then that's the one I'll take out.

What's wrong with the Tae-Kwon-Do paragraph? I thought it was a good example of dedication and leadership, which I'm sure the Navy looks for in their officers.

Yes, I'm going nuke. I know that this is a forum for pilots, but after searching the web I couldn't find anything else, and sailor bob is only for commissioned officers.

Goob83

None
Are you applying for NUKE? if so make it 400 words no more. If you are a nuke, your interviews, GPA, and major will out way your statement. so get ride of the burger stuff that should save you 100 words. also i would not anticipate nor assume!

Goob83

None
don't worry about it just delete it. did you take the clac & physics classes that are required? If you had no c's in those 4 classes then no worries. long as you can interview with some good speaking ability and show you have the brain power to work simple problems derived from these classes you will have no issues. Unless you are fat and cannot run the PRT. you must be fully qualifed to go on the interview. Have you been on the VIP trip yet?

FUPaladin

couldabeen
I agree with losing the burger part, but in my opinion you should also spend a little more time explaining your motivation to become a Naval officer as opposed to explaining why you'd be a good one. Plenty of people will probably disagree me on that, but I think that it's the rest of the application that should show how great you are, while your motivational statement should primarily be about your motivation.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I anticipate that a job as a Naval officer will be a challenging one. I intend to approach that challenge with the same zeal in which I have undertook all of my jobs

This is just my opinion, but you can say...
"I KNOW that being a Naval Officer will be challenging. However, challenges do not faze me, and I intend to approach the challenge of being a Naval Officer with the same zeal that I have with all my jobs."

It's not secret that being in the military isn't the easiest thing, and being an officer. Personally, I think it is good that you let the boards know that you do not have any false ideas that being a military officer is easy.

Goob83

None
FUpal you are correct once he deletes all the crap in there, he should include why he wants it, what he can provide the navy and what the navy will provide him. Very important for non nukes

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
First, thanks for the input everyone.

-Goob, I've been in touch with my recruiter constantly. I went to him about a month ago, and spent the last month making sure that I can run the 1.5 mi run in sub 12.5 min. Situps and pushups are easy for me, but I've never been a fast runner. He let me know last week though that he was going on vacation Aug 5, so that set a deadline for me to get everything in (which is a good thing). Actually, a lot of threads on here led me to believe that PRT score counts for selection, and then my recruiter informed me that it was pass/fail. Here I am trying to get a sub-11 on my run and it doesn't matter as long as I do it in 12:25. Before anyone comments, yes I intend to run constantly up to OCS.

-My recruiter did tell me that the Navy is in need of qualified NTOs right now. I was very up front about my strengths and weaknesses (let's just say I wasn't a perfect kid in my sophomore year in college back in 2003), and he assured me that I should not have any problems. I have all my core requirements done (I actually went back to school this past spring to take calc-based physics).

-I have not gone on the VIP tour yet, but I will during August.

-FU, you actually hit on something that I felt needed some work on my essay, but I'm not sure how to do it. I included why I want to join the Navy in my last paragraph (which is again unconventional), but it's weaker than the first 3 paragraphs. Even if I delete the burger stuff, I will not have enough words to expand on anything in there any more than I already have. Yet I do feel like I could use a better paragraph/more support on why I want to join the Navy.

In my essay, I wanted to not only focus on why I want to join the Navy, but also things that make me qualified beyond what's found elsewhere on my application. I wanted to demonstrate through examples that I am hard-working and dedicated. When I originally started, my essay sounded too cookie-cutter from what I've seen posted on here, so I mulled over how to add some personality in there. That's really where the burger thing comes from. I admit, however, that the last paragraph is the one that needs the most work, and part of it is because I wrote it while running out of space. I actually have multiple ideas on how to edit this: I have since edited it to a 397 word essay that has the same 4 paragraphs as above, just chopped down, which I could post. I could remove the burger paragraph and rearrange the focus of the essay ie move the 3rd paragraph to the first, or I could remove the 2nd paragraph and leave the rest as-is.

Again, I greatly appreciate the responses. Keep them coming.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Eh, what the hell I'll post the 397 word essay. I'm probably not gonna use this, though, since it sounds too choppy and underdeveloped for my taste. So I'll probably remove the burger part. You tell me though:
----------------------------------
There are few things more American than a good burger. Many people use frozen patties out of convenience, even though this sacrifices taste. Their reasoning is that it’s “just a burger,” but I don’t see it that way. I prefer to make my burgers from scratch. The extra time it takes me to mix together quality ingredients, mold some patties and cook them just right results in several satisfied palettes at every barbecue. But my commitment to be the best goes far beyond cooking burgers, which is why I make an excellent candidate for a U.S. Naval officer.

Life as a Naval officer will certainly be challenging. I intend to approach that challenge with the same zeal in which I have undertook all of my jobs, consistently resulting in outstanding performance. As a teacher at Kaplan, 62% of my students rated me “excellent” overall, and students routinely request to be in my class at the local High School where I teach. As a coordinator at Homegate, I consistently won the bonus for most work completed over the course of the week. I always put forth the maximum effort possible to succeed at my job, and I will take the same approach toward my duties as a Naval officer.

Nothing can demonstrate my dedication and assiduous nature more than my training at L.I. Tae-Kwon-Do. I have been with the organization for 12 years and have worked my way up to 2nd degree black belt. One of the most valuable lessons I learned as a black belt is that leadership comes from example. Therefore, it is important that I give my best effort while both training and leading classes, so that I can encourage others to perform at their peaks as well. If I become an officer, I will be called upon to lead our sailors in defending our country; this vital lesson in leadership that I learned will serve me – and consequently, them – well.

There is much more to America than burgers. Above all, the U.S. is a land of opportunity. Serving my country as a Naval officer would provide me with the opportunity to truly grow as a person, and I will have the opportunity to work with the world’s premier technology as a nuclear-trained officer. I look forward to taking advantage of these opportunities while giving my best effort to defending my country.

Goob83

None
ALL of your jobs how many times have you been fired?

there is still nothing here that shows leadership, want too or what you will bring to the table for the navy!