• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

WannaFlyHigh

Your scores and GPA are higher than mine except for the PFAR, and I was picked up for SNA. Taxi1 made great points about the use of "had". Your statement is engaging and your ASTB scores are even better. If I was to make a suggestion it would be to add something that draws the eye into the wall of text that stands out, numbers, percentages, statistics, quantifying things etc. How did the depth perception issue turn out? Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice! Ill try to add some stats somewhere. Also I agree with the "had" I removed them and it sounds much better.

Also I managed to get retested for DP and passed with flying colors thankfully. Doc was ranting on the whole MEPS process and couldn't agree more. Said half his patients are DP retests.

JBlue

Bumping this thread because I would love to get anyone's opinion on my statement. I was unsure of exactly what points to hit, so I tried to give a general overview of my motivations and the road up to this point. Would also love some guidance on how long these are supposed to be - I've heard anywhere from 500-1000 words. (Mine is 604 words as it is below).

Thanks,
J

"You're so lucky" my father told me. As we watched the 4th of July fireworks burst over the National Mall, he paused for a moment before adding "there has never been a better time to be an American ". Even then, something about his words struck me – that they were not a guarantee, but a statement of purpose. I firmly believe that it is for each generation to renew that ever fragile promise to the next, and to make it real in their own way. Ever since I watched Navy aircraft wheel and dart through the skies over the Chesapeake Bay as a boy, I have felt an inclination that my way of renewing the promise might come through service in our armed forces. My family has a long tradition of honorable service in every major conflict the United States has participated in since at least the Philippines. And though that history is proud, I also have deep motivation, experience, and skills that I predict would serve me well in the United States Navy.

I have been fascinated with aviation for as long as I can remember and am an avid reader of any aircraft-related materials I can get my hands on, including technical and operator's manuals. As I progressed through college and my leadership skills and knowledge grew, I watched many classmates prepare to go on to law school, illustrious postgrad programs and prominent companies. I also watched close friends join our campus ROTC program or even leave school to enlist and began to consider my own future in a new way. The desire to become the best candidate for service that I could be drove me to work harder on reading, studying, and writing than ever before and turned me into an honors student. I also broadened my knowledge of global issues and critical thinking through extracurriculars, helping to lead my Model UN team to award winning performances at national conferences. All the while, I was honing the organizational and interpersonal skills that I knew would be essential to continued success. Through it all, I never lost the sense that I was preparing for something important, even if I was not yet sure what it was.

Today, I know what that something is. At a time when many seek to upset the position of the United States and subvert the rules-based international order which is responsible for the peace and prosperity that I grew up in, I recognize that my country needs skilled, motivated officers more than ever. I am pursuing a career with Navy, and in Naval Aviation specifically, primarily for this reason – because I see the Navy as our nation's foremost tool to resist threats to our way of life. Wherever unfriendly actors are attempting to call the role of the United States into question, the Navy seems to be present. Whether that means countering Russian aggression in the skies over the Black Sea or guaranteeing the right to pass freely through the international waters of the Taiwan Strait, I understand the important implications of the Navy's mission and am prepared to devote myself fully to it. If selected, I pledge bring all of my determination, character, and detail oriented nature to bear on the tasks at hand each day. It is not just belief in the promise of our nation that motivates me to seek a commission in the United States Navy. It is the assertion that there has never been a better time to be an American, and a desire to make that assertion true for the next generation and beyond.

I deeply appreciate your time and consideration.

exNavyOffRec

Bumping this thread because I would love to get anyone's opinion on my statement. I was unsure of exactly what points to hit, so I tried to give a general overview of my motivations and the road up to this point. Would also love some guidance on how long these are supposed to be - I've heard anywhere from 500-1000 words. (Mine is 604 words as it is below).

Thanks,
J

"You're so lucky" my father told me. As we watched the 4th of July fireworks burst over the National Mall, he paused for a moment before adding "there has never been a better time to be an American ". Even then, something about his words struck me – that they were not a guarantee, but a statement of purpose. I firmly believe that it is for each generation to renew that ever fragile promise to the next, and to make it real in their own way. Ever since I watched Navy aircraft wheel and dart through the skies over the Chesapeake Bay as a boy, I have felt an inclination that my way of renewing the promise might come through service in our armed forces. My family has a long tradition of honorable service in every major conflict the United States has participated in since at least the Philippines. And though that history is proud, I also have deep motivation, experience, and skills that I predict would serve me well in the United States Navy.

I have been fascinated with aviation for as long as I can remember and am an avid reader of any aircraft-related materials I can get my hands on, including technical and operator's manuals. As I progressed through college and my leadership skills and knowledge grew, I watched many classmates prepare to go on to law school, illustrious postgrad programs and prominent companies. I also watched close friends join our campus ROTC program or even leave school to enlist and began to consider my own future in a new way. The desire to become the best candidate for service that I could be drove me to work harder on reading, studying, and writing than ever before and turned me into an honors student. I also broadened my knowledge of global issues and critical thinking through extracurriculars, helping to lead my Model UN team to award winning performances at national conferences. All the while, I was honing the organizational and interpersonal skills that I knew would be essential to continued success. Through it all, I never lost the sense that I was preparing for something important, even if I was not yet sure what it was.

Today, I know what that something is. At a time when many seek to upset the position of the United States and subvert the rules-based international order which is responsible for the peace and prosperity that I grew up in, I recognize that my country needs skilled, motivated officers more than ever. I am pursuing a career with Navy, and in Naval Aviation specifically, primarily for this reason – because I see the Navy as our nation's foremost tool to resist threats to our way of life. Wherever unfriendly actors are attempting to call the role of the United States into question, the Navy seems to be present. Whether that means countering Russian aggression in the skies over the Black Sea or guaranteeing the right to pass freely through the international waters of the Taiwan Strait, I understand the important implications of the Navy's mission and am prepared to devote myself fully to it. If selected, I pledge bring all of my determination, character, and detail oriented nature to bear on the tasks at hand each day. It is not just belief in the promise of our nation that motivates me to seek a commission in the United States Navy. It is the assertion that there has never been a better time to be an American, and a desire to make that assertion true for the next generation and beyond.

I deeply appreciate your time and consideration.

The important question is, what are your ASTB scores?

With my current ASTB scores should I worry about writing the perfect motivational statement? I've rewritten and condensed mine too many times to count. With the April board coming up I feel like I should submit now and stop thinking about it.

taxi1

pilot
With my current ASTB scores should I worry about writing the perfect motivational statement? I've rewritten and condensed mine too many times to count. With the April board coming up I feel like I should submit now and stop thinking about it.
What is your statement in 80 words? A decent sized paragraph? That's realistically all it should take.

Looking for any feedback on my statement, trying to keep it short and to the point. It's sitting at about 400 words right now.Thanks!

Many events in my life have directed me toward a career in Aviation. With the U.S. Navy’s collaborative values that align with those of my own, it would be the best opportunity to pursue my career as an officer here. My contribution to this profession will be to uphold the Core Values of honor, courage, and commitment, as well as build upon the foundation of trust and leadership.

In my childhood, I never had a permanent father figure present in my life. I sought this guidance elsewhere; my step-grandfather would tell me stories of the time he spent within the Royal Air Force, further growing my passion to become an aviator. In Perdido Key, FL, the Blue Angels gliding low over the water brought forth a sense of determination I had never experienced before. This determination led me to fully commit to becoming the exemplar for others that was lacking in my youth. Later, as a member of Boy Scouts of America Troop 49, I was appointed the role of scout lead. This commitment to mentoring new and younger troop members led me to understand the value of leadership by encouraging motivation towards a common goal. As offensive leader of my high school lacrosse team, I was able to overcome alternative mindsets, strategies, and skills through positively reinforcing group ideals, leading us to the state tournament that season. Most significantly, as a former crewmember of S/Y Oceanstar, I have learned many technical skills as well as the disciplinary aspect of that needed from a Navy Officer through team collaboration in pressured environments and quickly adapting to ambiguous situations.

With these qualifications, I will contribute my integrity, honor, and accountability as an individual, and my dedication to my fellow members of the U.S. Navy every day. My commitment to the world’s greatest and most prestigious navy will continue as I contribute my focus and attention to my work. I thrive in dynamic environments that require quick decision-making and successfully dealing with ambiguity. I crave responsibility and situations that require leadership, and have a strong foundation in the science and art of motivating others. I am eager to exploit my passion and experience by contributing these qualifications to a profession in the U.S. Navy.

The U.S. Navy's commitment to collaborative ways to improve our country’s lives is the reason I have chosen them. We will partner to develop my knowledge and experience. What I will offer to them is my total commitment to the work they challenge me with each new day.
Thank you for your consideration.

taxi1

pilot
Appreciate the advice, reading it now I completely agree. I'll start trimming.
There's a famous quote...one of my favorites...Mark Twain once said, I didn’t have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one.

Take the time!

Do you have a copy of Strunk & White's Elements of Style? Why not?

Here's a free one. Strunk & White Elements Sty.doc (washington.edu)

Ask yourself if each of your paragraphs met this standard: "As a rule, begin each paragraph with a topic sentence; end it in conformity with the beginning. Again, the object is to aid the reader. The practice here recommended enables him to discover the purpose of each paragraph as he begins to read it, and to retain the purpose in mind as he ends it."

Another good one...

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that he make every word tell.

Best of luck Hunter.

Need advice on my motivational statement. Not sure if it sounds too generic. Be harsh, ill appresciate it.

Being a second-generation immigrant, I know how blessed I am to be living in America. Although my family does not have a military background, we still experienced a life of service by starting a small church to help Cuban refugees. A love for my country was also instilled in me at a young age. I am grateful for all the opportunities this country has given me and my family. I believe, to serve your country is one of the greatest honors in life.

Although I wanted to eventually serve, I did not have a clear direction of how I wanted my life to unfold. I chose to major in mechanical engineering because I had always been good at math. Within the first semester I fell in love with the field. When I found out about the Civil Engineering Corps and saw the worldwide impact this community had, as well as the ability to directly help so many people, I knew I needed to apply. To have the opportunity to work in my field as well as become an Officer and serve my country, there is no greater privilege. For these reasons, I desire to start and hopefully have a long career in the Civil Engineering Corps.

I would make an ideal candidate because of my work ethic, natural leadership, and my willingness to serve others. Throughout high school and college, I worked a part time job as well as take a full load of classes every semester. I also worked full time my last semester, as well being a team lead on the largest project of my career. I was able to join three engineering clubs, partake in intramural sports, and be active in my church all while finishing on the dean’s list. This built an unmatched work ethic within me. I am a proven natural leader whose leadership skills have been shown along the way. From being captain on several successful varsity teams as well as being project manager and a team lead on two engineering projects. These experiences showed me how to motivate and uplift different kinds of people, as well as how to confront and manage people who gave subpar effort. In the engineering aspect, it taught me how to work together with different disciplines of engineering to provide the best outcome. Not only did I learn how to lead, but also how to be a teammate and lead by example. Another value I hold close to my heart is the willingness to serve. Through over 275 community service hours, I was able to learn the joy in serving by helping others. Whether it is simply helping at my local soup kitchen or flying to a different country to provide aid to those in need. All these values make me an ideal candidate and will serve me well in the Navy. I view all my past experiences as preparation for my future career, and I am always up for any challenge and any opportunity to grow. I believe the CEC will give me the perfect opportunity to continue my growth as a leader, my growth towards becoming a professional engineer, and a chance to give back to a country that has given me so much.

exNavyOffRec

Need advice on my motivational statement. Not sure if it sounds too generic. Be harsh, ill appresciate it.

Being a second-generation immigrant, I know how blessed I am to be living in America. Although my family does not have a military background, we still experienced a life of service by starting a small church to help Cuban refugees. A love for my country was also instilled in me at a young age. I am grateful for all the opportunities this country has given me and my family. I believe, to serve your country is one of the greatest honors in life.

Although I wanted to eventually serve, I did not have a clear direction of how I wanted my life to unfold. I chose to major in mechanical engineering because I had always been good at math. Within the first semester I fell in love with the field. When I found out about the Civil Engineering Corps and saw the worldwide impact this community had, as well as the ability to directly help so many people, I knew I needed to apply. To have the opportunity to work in my field as well as become an Officer and serve my country, there is no greater privilege. For these reasons, I desire to start and hopefully have a long career in the Civil Engineering Corps.

I would make an ideal candidate because of my work ethic, natural leadership, and my willingness to serve others. Throughout high school and college, I worked a part time job as well as take a full load of classes every semester. I also worked full time my last semester, as well being a team lead on the largest project of my career. I was able to join three engineering clubs, partake in intramural sports, and be active in my church all while finishing on the dean’s list. This built an unmatched work ethic within me. I am a proven natural leader whose leadership skills have been shown along the way. From being captain on several successful varsity teams as well as being project manager and a team lead on two engineering projects. These experiences showed me how to motivate and uplift different kinds of people, as well as how to confront and manage people who gave subpar effort. In the engineering aspect, it taught me how to work together with different disciplines of engineering to provide the best outcome. Not only did I learn how to lead, but also how to be a teammate and lead by example. Another value I hold close to my heart is the willingness to serve. Through over 275 community service hours, I was able to learn the joy in serving by helping others. Whether it is simply helping at my local soup kitchen or flying to a different country to provide aid to those in need. All these values make me an ideal candidate and will serve me well in the Navy. I view all my past experiences as preparation for my future career, and I am always up for any challenge and any opportunity to grow. I believe the CEC will give me the perfect opportunity to continue my growth as a leader, my growth towards becoming a professional engineer, and a chance to give back to a country that has given me so much.

What have you done, who have you led, what can you do for the USN, that is what you should be thinking about.

The above being said, 1st paragraph who cares, 2nd paragraph talking about wanting to join the CEC for what they do is good, 3rd paragraph talking about hours, where you volunteer and other stuff is good CEC likes that due to what they are often involved in.