• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

alawson.223

Is there an updated list of medical DQ's anyone could provide me with? Last one I saw was on military.com and I'm not too sure if its still current considering I saw the same list about a year ago.

Thanks

*If this is not the correct thread for my post then please advise me as to where I should post. Thanks

Grove

To qualify for an air contract for PLC do they send you to Pensacola or somewhere to get a flight physical to see if you meet the requirements? If not, how do they know if you qualify?

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
To qualify for an air contract for PLC do they send you to Pensacola or somewhere to get a flight physical to see if you meet the requirements? If not, how do they know if you qualify?

Unless things have changed big time, that's how it works. Everyone I know has gone to Pensacola for it. Don't know if they do it any where else.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I did it at NAS Atlanta (which is no longer around). I think as long as it's a long form physical done by a Navy flight surgeon, it's legit. I could be wrong, but that's what I, and every other flight contract in the NROTC did in Atlanta.

PLC maybe something different, but it's hard to say why.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
I did it at NAS Atlanta (which is no longer around). I think as long as it's a long form physical done by a Navy flight surgeon, it's legit. I could be wrong, but that's what I, and every other flight contract in the NROTC did in Atlanta.

PLC maybe something different, but it's hard to say why.
When my kid (PLC) did his physical, they sent him and another candidate to Whitby. Might just be the closest place to a qualified flight surgeon

Grove

Do they send you before you go to OCS? I hear alot of people say they send you after you graduate for PLCers..if that's the case do how do they know you qualify? sorry my wording up there was kinda iffy

cape411

Hello all,

I am just starting the process of applying for a commission. However, I was informed by my recruiter that there are currently no opportunities for ground applicants. He suggested I look in to reserves. Can anyone confirm that there are no openings right now?

Thanks

AndyK03

Odds are your recruiter/OSO knows what they are talking about but you could always call a different OSO office as maybe the one you were looking into has filled all of their slots.

nukon

pilot
Hello all,

I am just starting the process of applying for a commission. However, I was informed by my recruiter that there are currently no opportunities for ground applicants. He suggested I look in to reserves. Can anyone confirm that there are no openings right now?

Thanks

Err.. if you don't mind my asking, what brings a would-be groundpounder to AW?

kmc9280

Cape,

I'm going to be honest with you. One of two things could be true. A. You are not competitive for a ground slot so your OSO is trying to open your mind to Reserves because he have more of a chance to get selected. B. Your particular category/component really doesn't have any ground slots... this truly varies based on program, fiscal year and slot type, i.e. air, ground, reserve, etc. Your OSO has a mission to submit or induct into OCS, x number for certain categories. Right now, most categories are not hard to fill.

As an example, I can tell you if you are a junior in college, there is no mission for regular active duty. I can't remember 100% but there may be a mission for reserve. If you are a junior, he may be 100% honest with you. If you aren't, you probably aren't competitive right now and he's trying to fill one of his less competitive slots. If this is the case, don't take it personally. Work harder, be patient and push for ground later. Recruiting goes in ebs and flows and know that OCS selection boards are more cometitive than they have EVER been before.

I won't say what I do but just know that I know more than your OSO! I periodically look on here as I used airwarriors in 2002. Whatever help I can still provide I do, honestly.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
OK I wanted to clarify something for potential PLC/OCC candidates!

The OSO explained that OCC is harder to get accepted to because you are competing against everyone on one side of the Mississippi or the other. PLC however is allocated slots that compete within a recurting district. That is to say that for myself, I compete with other guys from SEC schools around here for PLC whereas with OCC I might be up against Harvard students for instance. It's just the relative size of the pool and the cream rises to the top. The guys only making it to OCC are the "300 PFT only guys" from what I could see on the board and from what the OSO was directing me towards. Out of the 3 OCC guys they sent, 1 was picked up this last time around. I am trying for PLC but at 27 I'm in for some nasty PT sessions......whew

JEP

Are the Bates men’s lightweight USMC boots no longer allowed at OCS? I saw this somewhere else. If so what is a good USMC boot to get? I am looking at Quantico boot online but if someone has any good suggestions please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Are the Bates men’s lightweight USMC boots no longer allowed at OCS? I saw this somewhere else. If so what is a good USMC boot to get? I am looking at Quantico boot online but if someone has any good suggestions please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Are you a member at MarineOCS.com? Word over there is that they are not authorized anymore.

Don't buy boots from Quantico boot; in fact, wait until you are at OCS and are issued boots. You don't need to buy any yet. You'd just be wasting your money.

JEP

Are you a member at MarineOCS.com? Word over there is that they are not authorized anymore.

Don't buy boots from Quantico boot; in fact, wait until you are at OCS and are issued boots. You don't need to buy any yet. You'd just be wasting your money.

Thanks but I am an OCC guy going to this mini ocs and need some.