• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
here is an interesting article I found about the effects of barefoot running. I still like my VFF & haven't had any injuries or issues from using them.

ARTICLE

I haven't been injured from the VFFs, but I did injure my ankle playing sports and have had to return to regular shoes while recovering. I believe in the concept, but they aren't very forgiving. I favor the VFFs, but I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker about it. They aren't for everyone, and need to be used intelligently.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I ran in them, and could never get over 4 miles in one day because of terrible blisters (I know, I know, I'm weak).

I stopped when I got a sharp pain in the top middle of my foot. Another guy I know got that same pain in the same spot - and had a stress fracture to show for it (less than a mile ran for him).

Gotta be careful in those things for sure. But I have to say they are an absolute joy to run in. It may sound gay - but I felt really in touch with the ground, especially on uneven trails. It was pretty cool.

b0pric01

pilot
I ran in them, and could never get over 4 miles in one day because of terrible blisters (I know, I know, I'm weak).

I stopped when I got a sharp pain in the top middle of my foot. Another guy I know got that same pain in the same spot - and had a stress fracture to show for it (less than a mile ran for him).

Gotta be careful in those things for sure. But I have to say they are an absolute joy to run in. It may sound gay - but I felt really in touch with the ground, especially on uneven trails. It was pretty cool.

This is what happened to me and it sucks big time. My foot hasn't felt the same for several months now and I report to TBS on Tuesday.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
It's not ideal, but there is a physical therapist at Ramer Hall (the gym) every morning butt-crack early. At one point I sprained an AC joint in my shoulder and went there for a week or two.

Be careful with potential stress fractures though, in the beginning you will have a PFT and maybe some light workouts - but you will start going to the range early in the syllabus, and that is a 3 mile hike every morning and afternoon for 2 weeks. People without preexisting problems get stress fractures during that time. It might be worth considering talking to medical and potentially delay starting until the next Company in order to avoid the ass pain of starting with one Company and rolling to another due to fractures.

Or maybe get it checked out real quick before you go.

81montedriver

pilot
It's not ideal, but there is a physical therapist at Ramer Hall (the gym) every morning butt-crack early. At one point I sprained an AC joint in my shoulder and went there for a week or two.

Be careful with potential stress fractures though, in the beginning you will have a PFT and maybe some light workouts - but you will start going to the range early in the syllabus, and that is a 3 mile hike every morning and afternoon for 2 weeks. People without preexisting problems get stress fractures during that time. It might be worth considering talking to medical and potentially delay starting until the next Company in order to avoid the ass pain of starting with one Company and rolling to another due to fractures.

Or maybe get it checked out real quick before you go.

Or else next thing you know, you wake up, you're a Captain.... and you are STILL in Mike Company. I have seen it happen.

b0pric01

pilot
Thanks for the advice gents, but I ran a PFT today with no pain and didn't have a terrible run considering how much time I've taken off (22:14). I think I will be fine and feel pretty confident about my performance at TBS. I do not have any concerns about the hikes as I was only having pain on runs. I went to an orthopedist and he had me get an MRI, which showed him that my foot had healed up. I still had some discomfort for a while after but today it felt perfectly normal the entire time.

CrysisComa

so question about packing for OCS. they tell me to bring
2x collared shirts,
2x slacks
5x underwear
2x running shoes
1x dress shoes
450$
toiletries for a week
a watch

anything else i should bring? if i show up to my OSO office on ship day is he going to go through it an go crazy because i have tons of random stuff besides the stuff on the list?

i plan to put them in zip lock bags to keep it neat. what kind of suitcase should i bring? i happen to have an old sea-bag lying around. should i use that? i hear most people use them

last question they tell you to label everything. does that mean like my watch? shoes? etc? should i be markering up my stick of deodorant?

KBayDog

what kind of suitcase should i bring? i happen to have an old sea-bag lying around. should i use that? i hear most people use them

last question they tell you to label everything. does that mean like my watch? shoes? etc? should i be markering up my stick of deodorant?

It's been nearly a decade, so I'll let those with more currency QA your packing list. That said, unless things have changed, bring a seabag or two. Do not bring a suit case - it'll get destroyed during the Sea Bag Drag.

The biggest "Life Lesson" from OCS is to mark EVERYTHING. Your stick of deoderant will get misplaced, you will not get it back, and the guy three racks down will have fresh-smelling armpits. Additionally, you will not have time to sort through everyone's stuff to figure out what shoes belong to what candidate.

Marking your gear is something you will want to do long after OCS. TBS gear, flight school pubs, flight equipment, leftover pizza in the fridge, etc. If it doesn't have your name on it, it will grow legs. (Hell, even if it has your name on it, it'll grow legs...just not as quickly.)

CrysisComa

how hard really is OCS now? im reading about it and it seems like they will kick you out for almost anything. if you do badly on the 'O' course. if your lagging in runs. etc.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/part1-mainbar-a.php

has it gotten easier then it was in 2004?

one of my bigger worries is my weight. im only a 138lb male. so i dont know how ill handle things like fireman carrys and of course the huge packs

AJB37

how hard really is OCS now? im reading about it and it seems like they will kick you out for almost anything. if you do badly on the 'O' course. if your lagging in runs. etc.

one of my bigger worries is my weight. im only a 138lb male. so i dont know how ill handle things like fireman carrys and of course the huge packs

Just don't suck. Difficulty is going to vary from person to person. Some people deal with the stress a lot better than others, so just don't let it get to you. With that said, if you fail to meet the standards you'll be dropped, i.e. not completing the o-course in the required time and constantly falling out of humps. The females at OCS and TBS were able to handle the packs, so there is really no reason you shouldn't be able to.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

I'm also pretty sure they kick people out for not using capital letters, too, e.e. cummings.

KBayDog

haha i'v gotten to use to word programs that do it all for you.

Go ahead and use "word programs" on the essays you'll have to write. The Sergeant Instructors won't mind. After all, officers do not need written communication skills - we just need to be able to yell "Ooh Rah" and spend our days doing MCMAP.

CrysisComa

Go ahead and use "word programs" on the essays you'll have to write. The Sergeant Instructors won't mind. After all, officers do not need written communication skills - we just need to be able to yell "Ooh Rah" and spend our days doing MCMAP.

haha im very capable with writing on real paper. and yes i do plan to bring my laptop and printer and hook it up next to my rack. along with my personal fridge