• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Except for the PFT, all the running at OCS is on gravel or grass. If you want to get motivated, run in boots and do hills. Just don't overwork yourself right before you go.

CrysisComa

ok great. is there any running with like a pack or something? im not a very big guy (about 140lbs) so if im gonna have to be running with a pack i want to be prepared.

and im a bit curious, how is it possible that so many people get injured? i can understand things like accidents but i was under the impression that it was just to much wear on their legs.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Not really running with a pack, but lots of very brisk walking haha. People get hurt for lots of reasons, some aren't in good enough shape to begin with, some just wear down or suffer the typical injuries from lots of physical activity. Combine lots of stress with lots of physical activity and not much sleep and there you go.

CrysisComa

what is about the minimum 5k time that guys run before going to OCS? i mean the absolute minimum that they would have a decent chance of making it? also what is about the minimum 5k time your OSO will let you ship? assuming you have already been selected for OCS.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Best up to date info will come from an OSO. When I went in 2006 they werent shipping anyone from my office with under a 270 pft. Pretty sure the minimum requirement is a first class, but having a 230 pft will make things tough down there, especially if its runing related. Id say give an OSO a call and see what the competitive numbers are these days. From my time there, it seemed like people with slower than a 21:30 or so time were falling out of the squad runs.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...how is it possible that so many people get injured? i can understand things like accidents but i was under the impression that it was just to much wear on their legs.

I ended up with a stress fracture in my right foot and started to develop one in my right tibia. I would imagine the tibia and other minor injuries that developed were a result from running all jacked up on my injuerd foot. I ended up making it through the last few weeks with the injury, but it was definitely rough. I started feeling pain in the top of my foot around week 5. It got read bad around week 7. Stuff like that was common for a lot of people in the company. OTher people got hurt on some of the trail events. LIke the combat course, e-course, etc. A bunch got hurt from not stretching properly.

trackaggie800

Make sure you get the right type of running shoes that will make a world of difference. I recommend going to a running specialty store and have them look at your feet, sometimes they will watch you run to determine your foot type.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Make sure you get the right type of running shoes that will make a world of difference. I recommend going to a running specialty store and have them look at your feet, sometimes they will watch you run to determine your foot type.

Eh, you can quite honestly go to OCS with a pair of canvas top Converses and make it through just fine. The running store will be good in picking out a pair of shoes that will hurt you less than the rest if you're lucky. People's feet and knees don't turn to dust at OCS and TBS because they're running in the wrong tennis shoes. Blame the overstress injuries on the lowest common denominator/lowest bidder boots and everything that Treetop flyer mentioned. If I could have gone on the hikes barefoot, I would have. That's how I feel about the latest generation of Marine Corps combat boots (I never got foot and leg injuries in 5 years of wearing the black boots before these).

trackaggie800

Eh, you can quite honestly go to OCS with a pair of canvas top Converses and make it through just fine. The running store will be good in picking out a pair of shoes that will hurt you less than the rest if you're lucky. People's feet and knees don't turn to dust at OCS and TBS because they're running in the wrong tennis shoes. Blame the overstress injuries on the lowest common denominator/lowest bidder boots and everything that Treetop flyer mentioned. If I could have gone on the hikes barefoot, I would have. That's how I feel about the latest generation of Marine Corps combat boots (I never got foot and leg injuries in 5 years of wearing the black boots before these).

You must be blessed with nice feet, I have high arches and have to wear orthotics all the time. Anytime I switch out of brooks shoes I start to have foot pain. How many miles a week are run at OCS?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You must be blessed with nice feet, I have high arches and have to wear orthotics all the time. Anytime I switch out of brooks shoes I start to have foot pain. How many miles a week are run at OCS?

I wouldn't say the actual mileage is all that high, but it's all "Quality" mileage. It's mostly hills and trails combined with not wanting to look like the weak one in a group of type A people that are being screened and evaluated. Very little huffy-puffy pavement pounding, and no track type events (unless fireman's carry is a track event). You'll see most of the injuries come from the events with boots on. Funny you should mention my feet because I was born with crippled feet and had five surgeries to correct them. I refuse to get started in on how the running shoe(and moreso, cheap boots) serves to FUBAR an elegantly designed suspension system that nature gifted to us as the human foot.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I wouldn't say the actual mileage is all that high, but it's all "Quality" mileage. It's mostly hills and trails combined with not wanting to look like the weak one in a group of type A people that are being screened and evaluated. Very little huffy-puffy pavement pounding, and no track type events (unless fireman's carry is a track event). You'll see most of the injuries come from the events with boots on. Funny you should mention my feet because I was born with crippled feet and had five surgeries to correct them. I refuse to get started in on how the running shoe(and moreso, cheap boots) serves to FUBAR an elegantly designed suspension system that nature gifted to us as the human foot.

You sound like Cody Lundin. To think about it, the only time I've had a lower body injury was at TBS when I sprained the shit out of my ankle while wearing boots (and a pack) in an admin move for a fex.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

By comparison with the boots I was issued when I started in the Big Green Gun Club, the Bellevilles they issue now are truly "leather Cadillacs!"

You make yourself sound like Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol, BTW!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I guess "crippled" is a little bit drastic. My feet were kinda jacked, but it's not like I had spina bifida or something. And it's a universal axiom that everything was harder in the Old Corps.

I hadn't heard of Cody Lundin until I Googled him just now. I wouldn't mind being all lean and beefy, but I would have to lose the braids...and the mental masturbation that is modern survivalism.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
here is an interesting article I found about the effects of barefoot running. I still like my VFF & haven't had any injuries or issues from using them.

ARTICLE

b0pric01

pilot
I liked my Vibrams until I bought a pair off eBay that ended up being knockoffs. Still paying for that mistake with an effed up left foot. I went through OCS with a $40 pair of Adidas shoes from Shoe Carnival and I'm glad I didn't spend much more because they were trash by the end. I thought the boots were good, but then again I wasn't exactly a boot expert when I got there. You don't realize how much you like to run until you can't for a while.