• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

GS-W

AH-1 W
There are a very small number of aviation slots not already given as pilot/NFO contracts available at MOS selection at TBS. Because the number is so small, those are very competitive slots.

So when are these slots chosen? At TBS? What if you don't get the SNA slot, pushed to NFO or ground? Or can you re try?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So when are these slots chosen? At TBS? What if you don't get the SNA slot, pushed to NFO or ground? Or can you re try?

Those slots go at TBS MOS selection day towards the end of the course. If you get a ground MOS, your next shot would be to apply for a fleet assession slot after a couple years in the fleet, which is hard, but not impossible--some years they have more slots than others. You have to be a little lucky in your timing.

If you got NFO, OCCASSIONALLY there are opportunities to switch to pilot around API, but don't count on it. There are also a couple NFO-to-pilot transitions each year once one's been in the fleet awhile. Again, hard but not impossible. Timing and luck will play a big part in getting that.

GS-W

AH-1 W
Those slots go at TBS MOS selection day towards the end of the course. If you get a ground MOS, your next shot would be to apply for a fleet assession slot after a couple years in the fleet, which is hard, but not impossible--some years they have more slots than others. You have to be a little lucky in your timing.

If you got NFO, OCCASSIONALLY there are opportunities to switch to pilot around API, but don't count on it. There are also a couple NFO-to-pilot transitions each year once one's been in the fleet awhile. Again, hard but not impossible. Timing and luck will play a big part in getting that.

So if I get through OCS with an SNA contract, or opportunity to get a contract, what are my chances of getting that SNA contract at TBS MOS? What %?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So if I get through OCS with an SNA contract, or opportunity to get a contract, what are my chances of getting that SNA contract at TBS MOS? What %?

If you get through OCS with a contract for SNA then you have a contract for SNA until you give it up, are no longer physically qualified or if you find a way to suck too bad to finish TBS. If you go to TBS without an air contract it may be possible to compete for one. No one here can tell you the chances because no one here knows. It depends on a lot of things. There may be a few spots to compete for or there may be zero, there may be a lot of guys competing for them, or there may just be you. In my company I believe there were something like two spots for SNA and one for NFO with about 15 guys trying for them. Your chances of having an air contract at TBS if you had an air contract at OCS are about 100% though.

GS-W

AH-1 W
If you get through OCS with a contract for SNA then you have a contract for SNA until you give it up, are no longer physically qualified or if you find a way to suck too bad to finish TBS. If you go to TBS without an air contract it may be possible to compete for one. No one here can tell you the chances because no one here knows. It depends on a lot of things. There may be a few spots to compete for or there may be zero, there may be a lot of guys competing for them, or there may just be you. In my company I believe there were something like two spots for SNA and one for NFO with about 15 guys trying for them. Your chances of having an air contract at TBS if you had an air contract at OCS are about 100% though.

Got it! That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

usmcgirlhopeful

Hi all,
I am in the finial process of getting my package ready to submit to officer boards for 205. My question is… can I summit my package without being contracted to go to OCS if I am accepted?
I thought the process was….summit your package, see if you accepted, then swear in.
Thanks, just want to understand

pwdbyhrses

Hi all,
I am in the finial process of getting my package ready to submit to officer boards for 205. My question is… can I summit my package without being contracted to go to OCS if I am accepted?
I thought the process was….summit your package, see if you accepted, then swear in.
Thanks, just want to understand

Your package is SUBMITTED to the board. You can swear in (I did) when you contract, but are still not obligated to go. You are not even obligated if you are selected by the board. You are obligated to fulfill your contract once you accept your commission.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Your package is SUBMITTED to the board. You can swear in (I did) when you contract, but are still not obligated to go. You are not even obligated if you are selected by the board. You are obligated to fulfill your contract once you accept your commission.

Once you start training at OCS they also own you for three or four weeks. I know it's three weeks for the six week program. It's spelled out in the contract as far as when it actually kicks in.

jdnew

Ha! some poor souls that get platoon sgt billet... well, we would have needed 2 or 3 left feet to march along with those cadences. Yea, don't worry about it. If you do have to, it won't be till a few weeks in and you should have the hang of it. Unless you are one of the previously mentioned.

b0pric01

pilot
They will teach you everything before they expect you to know anything.

Trust me, this is entirely true. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the military and graduated in arguably the hardest platoon of that summer. It's amazing how much you can learn in a short time under stress.

DC3R4D03

amen, i marched my boys right off the grinder (doh !),brilliant ! 2 left feet here,but I survived ,one of 34 graduating out of 65,and I ended up an 0302 !!! the FMF,not 8th and I was in my future.

CrysisComa

lucky me i found this thread, it says i can ask stupid questions so here goes.

i leave this summer to OCS. my biggest fear is not making it because of injury (that is why most people fail correct?)

i hear theres alot of knee injuries, i run 5 days a week, but im just wondering because my feet have never been the best in terms of shock (running on pavement, cement, etc) so i thought i might have a problem with that. should i practice running on those hard surfaces? or just stick with grass and gravel. any other tips to prevent injury during OCS?