• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

sanders

I don't know where you would get a stencil, the easiest way to get the exact one would be to find a buddy who has done OCS already and get it from him. Its really not a big deal, just a little time saver. You will have a lot of sitting around time before you go through pick-up that you can do a lot of little things like that.

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
That's the weird part. There ISN'T any diagnostic testing. So have get to watch as some really good guys just completely flounder because they're not ready. Some break through, and they are good to go. Others never break through and they get dropped.

BTW, my comments earlier assumed either the long course or a good ROTC. If you're going to the 6 week course and your ROTC is crappy, your hair is going to be on fire under your kevlar for about 6 weeks.

And Blondy, I've had so many gunnies in so many places say to memorize general orders VERBATIM so many times that I can't even keep track anymore!

That's interesting. Our unit has been VERY thin on upperclass Marine Options the last couple years. We're sending down our biggest group in years this summer (about 12). As such we haven't had a very good measuring stick for success at OCS. What would you say are the keys in differentiating a good ROTC unit from a crappy ROTC unit (in regards to OCS prep)?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That's interesting. Our unit has been VERY thin on upperclass Marine Options the last couple years. We're sending down our biggest group in years this summer (about 12). As such we haven't had a very good measuring stick for success at OCS. What would you say are the keys in differentiating a good ROTC unit from a crappy ROTC unit (in regards to OCS prep)?

I can't personally make a distinction between good and bad units, but I can distinguish their products.

The bad ones put out guys that are NOT:

physically prepared. The body is one thing that everybody knows needs to be wired tight to get through OCS.

able to drill. Remember, for those former drill instructors, drill was life. Although it isn't hugely stressed at OCS, if you can't drill, the sergeant instructors are going to ride your ass because that's their programming and when that happens THE WHEELS BEGIN TO COME OFF.

I know that assessment is highly distilled, but those are some of the very first things that get assessed, and this is just my experience. It was the drill rocks and PT rocks that had everybody thinking, "His unit didn't prepare him. I'll bet the rest of his skills are nasty and the rest of the candidates he came with are nasty, too. I can't believe that unit sent their guys down here in this state." Further evidence piled on before you knew it, these guys were on platoon and company probation. Some buckled down and pulled through while others couldn't handle the pressure that they had to deal because they were on a 3rd grade level while the rest of us were on a college level. Conversely, if people can drill and are physically fit, they made it past the stigma of being unprepared, but that didn't necessarily mean they came from good places, or that they were going to graduate.

joemcspeed

9 days left... and I cant wait to see how many of these stencil worrying, moleskin wearing, panzis weed out because of the unexpected. I love AW but it kills me when it starts to get like Marineocs.com.

I'll see you all there, and yea Ive prepared.... but in the ways that count. (putting your mind elsewhere, dealing with stubborn people, and not running distance but at a pace that makes you want to puke and quit)

Good Luck everyone. I cant wait to get it on!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
9 days left... and I cant wait to see how many of these stencil worrying, moleskin wearing, panzis weed out because of the unexpected. I love AW but it kills me when it starts to get like Marineocs.com.

I'll see you all there, and yea Ive prepared.... but in the ways that count. (putting your mind elsewhere, dealing with stubborn people, and not running distance but at a pace that makes you want to puke and quit)

Good Luck everyone. I cant wait to get it on!

Your comments are a bit callus. A lot of these guys have nothing to go on when it comes to knowing what it's like to be trained, screened, and evaluated in entry level training like you do. Let's just hope your lack of tact doesn't cause you to put your foot in your mouth (especially when spear eval time comes).

Still though, I know where you're coming from...

I've waited for a long time to be able to say this, but THE MORE THINGS CHANGE...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=360771&postcount=100

That was a post in a thread by a bunch of OCC-196ers last year.

joemcspeed

usmarinemike said:
I want you all to remember the immensity of this thread and all of the SELF INDUCED FRICTION you're all wreaking upon yourselves in these last few days especially. And when you get home, and your hindsight is clear, come on here and comment on how fucking stupid your own comments all sound.
Doesnt look like our views or tact were much different. As for foot in mouth, this is obviously online and many factors change in person. Your point is wisely taken, and is my factor of concern.
If others want to take their last moments worring about a stencil, have at it, hope it makes you a better Marine Officer :paperbag_.

sanders

If it makes you FEEL more prepared and confident about your ability to graduate OCS... what harm can it be? I will admit, there is very little you can do to prepare for OCS besides PT but if studying the general orders or USMC history or whatever makes you feel more confident then what harm could it do? Joemcspeed, I am guessing from your previous posts that you have not attended OCS yet so you should probably leave those comments for somebody with a little more experience.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
If I know it before then its more time to sleep or do other things to help. I can't PT 24 hours a day.

This sounds like poor attitude and lack of motivation. You now owe me a 300 word essay on why you can't PT 24 hours a day. It was due 5 minutes ago. :D

Enjoy OCS, you won't want to repeat it but you wouldn't want to miss it either.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Don't forget to underline every word, number every word, and use head to toe format. Go ahead and write two because whoever you give the first one to is going to tear it up in front of the whole platoon anyway.

jdnew

You really shouldn't worry about the academics at OCS. PT is something you should put your time into, but its not all about PT. From what I saw there, no one puts much thought into how smart you are, and I don't think it is really about how strong or fast you are either. Its think it is more about how hard you are.
OCS will SUCK! Not just for you, but for everyone. Just act like it does not bother you. You could be freakin dying, and you should act like you are enjoying it. When you are getting yelled at or have an impossible time hack, chill out and operate like you would if that stresser isn't there. Neither your peers nor the staff want to hear how much something sucked or see you weak.
Get a straw and suck it up. It's only a few weeks. And thats all you need to know.

You guys must be getting ready to start. I'm seeing the "this way to OCS" signs around mainside.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Don't forget to underline every word, number every word, and use head to toe format. Go ahead and write two because whoever you give the first one to is going to tear it up in front of the whole platoon anyway.

I know this is Marine OCS, but this brought back memories of our Gunny making us write out chow hall procedures (it was written out in the "Officer Candidate Manual" at Navy OCS) 2 times per person in our entire class (It took 3 hours+ to write it out twice...and that was for fast writers). We all wrote it out, and our Class chief was pissed off that it was late by 20 minutes or that some of them were illegible or something else equally qualifying that they not be accepted. Our entire OCS class was lined up and forced to PT in the p-way for 20 minutes, then forced to pour all of our canteens on our piles of hand-written papers. We then got the same assignment over again for the next night.\

Ahhh...OCS. We never slept.:D