• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Ric Hard

Hey, it's always possible to sell your fire watch to one of the candidates who is restricted to base libbo. Someone get's liberty and someone makes a couple of bucks. It's a win win for everyone.

Jbramps

I dont know how it was when you went but, we were told that was a quick way home. Anyone caught paying or bribing another candidate into taking weekend firewatch would be sent home on an integrity violation, so you may want to be careful about trying that.

Lawman

None
Everything at Marine OCS is an evaluation/screening tool, including liberty....I must say though that the biggest reddass was being duty platoon during libbo (not allowed off base when you are duty platoon whether or not you're actually standing watch).

Try being Duty Platoon, Duty Company during the weekend that the 2nd increment shows up.

We must have cleaned the heads over and over while the new crop of candidates proceeded to F them up before the XO could see that we did our job. Probably spent the better part of our Sunday libo in Green on Green scrubbing floors while watching new candidates piss all over the seats. :icon_rage

And Do Not! attempt to sell your watch to get more libo. As stated, its a quick way to get a ticket home. There was a DOR candidate that was shipping out the following Monday so he bought a couple guys watches, they almost got to go home with him.

MettGT

pilot
I dont know how it was when you went but, we were told that was a quick way home. Anyone caught paying or bribing another candidate into taking weekend firewatch would be sent home on an integrity violation, so you may want to be careful about trying that.

I don't see what the integrity violation would be...so as long as someone was standing watch. Now if the staff said you couldn't do it from the get-go, that's one thing, but they never told my platoon you couldn't. I guess it's staff dependent.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't see what the integrity violation would be...so as long as someone was standing watch. Now if the staff said you couldn't do it from the get-go, that's one thing, but they never told my platoon you couldn't. I guess it's staff dependent.

So if you're rich and join the military, you can just pay people to do the tedious and less-than-savory jobs you are required to do secondarily to the main duties of your MOS?

Sounds like an integrity issue to me...

MasterBates

Done that in the real world.. "Hey dude, I need someone to stand my Saturday SDO". "You owe me and Manatee dinner at Outback" "Deal".

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
At first our staff didnt say anything about selling/trading libo. Then they told us we couldnt sell or trade. They said that whatever is scheduled is the way it will be.

Living OCS life libo to libo is a good way to get through the crappy weeks but honestly suck it up. You're not there for libo, you're there to train and get inducted into some really cool $hit. Everyone misses home and all the "freedoms" (I sure as hell did while scrubbing those bathroom floors while the rest of my platoon not on watch went out). You will be out of that place soon enough. Have fun at every opportunity you can so your brain doesnt rot from all the crazy stuff, but you should not even think about attempting some sort of scheme to game the libo system. If you really cant stand the place and life, theres a really easy way to get all the libo you want...

I'm not suggesting that anyone on here said that its all about the libo...but if you get kicked out due to liberty related reasons, then thats f'd up. Theres plenty of dumb shit to do once you graduate.

Remember why you're there and kick ass.

MettGT

pilot
So if you're rich and join the military, you can just pay people to do the tedious and less-than-savory jobs you are required to do secondarily to the main duties of your MOS?

Not where I was going with this, but I see your point. Real life situation though...we've got family day here at TBS, I'm slated for CDO (company duty officer) tonight, and I've got family in town. My buddy who doesn't have family coming in says he'll take it if I buy him dinner.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Like MB said, it happens in the fleet all of the time. That kind of horse-trading happens all of the time, and the front office usually doesn't care as long as there is a qualified body in the seat.

Usually the bribe involves alcohol, but I guess food was a higher priority for the Manatee and her mate. ;)

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

we've lost 9 candidates due to DOR or injury so far

one he was eating his MRE in his rack and a SI walked by and asked what it was and he said "nothing..."

he got sent home for lying

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Mett, didnt realize you were in Bravo company. Congrats. Are you doing IFS here? Fox just finished zero week (9 working days), which was total suckage. I haven't figured out from the senior companies whether TBS actually gets better or if they have just blissfully accepted their position in life. At any rate, I can't wait to get to training where the whole company doesn't hate life to the fullest.

As for the topic the thread has taken, I haven't been to a command in the operating forces where people don't trade duties. Even units cut deals with each other to take each others duties. You have a ball or mess night, we take your duty. You take ours when it's our turn. No lack of integrity there. They just want to be anal with you at the training command, and that's their prerogative because anal is the default setting.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
we've lost 9 candidates due to DOR or injury so far

one he was eating his MRE in his rack and a SI walked by and asked what it was and he said "nothing..."

he got sent home for lying

Not to mention unadulterated stupidity. You get enough food. Why in the hell would anybody need to eat an MRE in the rack of all places. You're better off going out the back hatch and smoking a cigarette next to the payphones (which may or may not still be there).

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
...they have just blissfully accepted their position in life.
Yeah, this is pretty much the way it happens.

At any rate, I can't wait to get to training where the whole company doesn't hate life to the fullest.
Hmm, well ... Mess Night is gonna be a few months away for you, so don't hold your breath ;) FWIW, being in the field were my favorite times during TBS. You get some much needed time away from the joys of TBS garrison life.

Good luck bud, it will all be over before you know it.