• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

SemperFlyMarine

The CRF's Worst Nightmare
I'm only planning on going enlisted for the "streamlined" citizenship process. I looked into flying for Canada but pilots require 20/20 uncorrected vision.

I work with a mexican citizen who has been enlisted for 10 years and he is still trying to get his citizenship

Just to reiterate, I had a Sergeant Instructor at OCS who is a Gunny, has been nominated for Marine of the Year before, and has not been granted his citizenship. So I wouldn't count on it, just like smittay said. And I'm not sure about the Marines stance on vision correction, you might have to get a waiver if your vision is what you say it is. Everyone I talked to (including myself) who is going Marine Air has 20/20 uncorrected or better. Good luck with your decision, just don't trust what the recruiter says, make sure you get him to put it in writing if he "guaruntees" you something. I can't tell you how many Marines I've spoken to who had a "guaruntee" for their MOS, then got something other than what the recruiter said. And the excuse "my recruiter told me I would get (insert MOS selection here)" does not fly (pun intended).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you are 22 AND the process can be completed in 4 years (both the waiting period and any other paperwork/classes etc.) Then you will be 26 and have 1 year (or less) to get commissioned by 27.

Your case might be the exception to the rule of not going enlisted to become an officer.

I can't speak to any of the anaphylaxis.

So here is my life story, I was born in South Africa, moved to the U.S. when I was 15, finally got a green card a few weeks before my 21st birthday (April '05). Also somewhere along the way I fell in love with the Marine Corps and aviation. So Marine Aviator is a natural match for me (at least thats how I feel). So here is how I plan on achieving that goal and my success so far.
I also heard that enlisting in the military allows you to apply for citizenship without waiting the mandatory 5 years. As such I shipped to Parris Island in December, followed of course by MCT and Combat Engineer school. I checked into my reserve unit in July '06 and immediately inquired about citizenship applications. Turns out it is somewhat straight forward process, pretty much just one form that has to be filled out by your unit, along with a substantial packet of info from you. I received my citizenship in January '07. I am now SNA select for OCC-197 in January '08.
My advice to you Gator is, firstly enlisting is not to be taken lightly, you have to truly want to be a Marine, and not just a pilot. Secondly, enlisting as a 92 day reservist would also help cut down your time a few months, because you can't start the application process until you check into your unit (I believe).
So as you can see enlisting did significantly reduce my wait time, again, this is what worked for me, there are not guarantees, and a recruiter will not be able to put in writing that you will receive your citizenship.
With regards your fire ant issue, if you don't die when they bite you, it might be in your best interest to never mention it again, if however it is serious I would be careful because PI does have them. And DI's like to IT you right in the nests, looks funny from a distance, but not when your in the nest.
Hope this helps, if you need anymore info feel free to ask.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So here is my life story, I was born in South Africa, moved to the U.S. when I was 15, finally got a green card a few weeks before my 21st birthday (April '05). Also somewhere along the way I fell in love with the Marine Corps and aviation. So Marine Aviator is a natural match for me (at least thats how I feel). So here is how I plan on achieving that goal and my success so far.
I also heard that enlisting in the military allows you to apply for citizenship without waiting the mandatory 5 years. As such I shipped to Parris Island in December, followed of course by MCT and Combat Engineer school. I checked into my reserve unit in July '06 and immediately inquired about citizenship applications. Turns out it is somewhat straight forward process, pretty much just one form that has to be filled out by your unit, along with a substantial packet of info from you. I received my citizenship in January '07. I am now SNA select for OCC-197 in January '08.
My advice to you Gator is, firstly enlisting is not to be taken lightly, you have to truly want to be a Marine, and not just a pilot. Secondly, enlisting as a 92 day reservist would also help cut down your time a few months, because you can't start the application process until you check into your unit (I believe).
So as you can see enlisting did significantly reduce my wait time, again, this is what worked for me, there are not guarantees, and a recruiter will not be able to put in writing that you will receive your citizenship.
With regards your fire ant issue, if you don't die when they bite you, it might be in your best interest to never mention it again, if however it is serious I would be careful because PI does have them. And DI's like to IT you right in the nests, looks funny from a distance, but not when your in the nest.
Hope this helps, if you need anymore info feel free to ask.

Great info... It's good to know that the process has improved.

Also, that's a good idea to go the Reserve route to accomplish this process. It could make things easier. I'm just saying c o u l d.

Conaway

This site serves as an incredible source of information. I have read a lot and learned a lot, however I haven't come across a post that quite helps my situation.

Basically...I just want to FLY! I'm about to finish undergrad in December and preparing to join the Marine Corps.

If you JUST want to fly you either:

1) Need to be more open minded that even as a pilot in the Marine Corps you will have a ground billet at some point in your career. That's not just the Marine Corps either. You will do something other than fly in any service as a pilot. A Marine Aviators job is support the troops on the ground and you have to always remember that.

or, 2) Choose another service that will give you a greater chance of staying in an air wing throughout your career. i.e. AF or Navy.

Joeschmo

A marine corps recruiter told me...

that since I'm a college student and if I go to boot camp this summer and did not go on to get more training (i.e. infantry school) I would go into the marine reserves as an officer candidate. I would still train one weekend a month and get paid but could not be sent over to Iraq because I would be an officer candidate until after I graduate college and become an officer. Is this true or is he lying to try to get me to enlist?

phrogpilot73

that since I'm a college student and if I go to boot camp this summer and did not go on to get more training (i.e. infantry school) I would go into the marine reserves as an officer candidate. I would still train one weekend a month and get paid but could not be sent over to Iraq because I would be an officer candidate until after I graduate college and become an officer. Is this true or is he lying to try to get me to enlist?
It's not true. You do not have to enlist to become an officer, and once you enlist - you could be activated and sent to training and subsequently deployed. Contact your local OSO - they won't give you the run around.

Joeschmo, meet Mr. Search. Mr. Search, meet Joeschmo. (This topic has been covered ad naseum)

Crowbar

None
Furthermore, I read the initial post as saying that finishing boot camp then skipping out on MOS school results in a direct shot to OCS. Not so.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Concur with Crowbar, You do not need to enlist in order to go to OCS, however if you do enlist in the reserves, then apply for OCS after, you are non-deployable once you finish 1 increment of OCS at least that’s what I remember, anybody else out there know? Chime in!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ask the recruiter if he can guarantee, in writing, you getting a commission after enlisting. I'll bet he has some other answer for that. Like the good folks above said, see an OSO and you will get the straight answer.

-ea6bflyr ;)

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
It sounds like your recruiter is talking about the 92-day reservist program. You would complete recruit training, then immediately report to your reserve unit. This would make you non-deployable, because you wouldn't complete MCT or your MOS school. I've known a couple guys that have done this program. OCS is never guaranteed... but you wouldn't deploy.

mjmcdani

Never amazes me how big of a smile ball some recruiters can be.

They'd ruin someone's life for 1/2 of their monthly requirement. Try talking to the OSO, and make sure he knows who lied to you.

You may be thinking of PLC, which is 6 weeks long in the summer, and is 1/2 of the requirement for juniors to become commissioned.

Boot camp is way different, you'll get yelled at constantly.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may be thinking of PLC, which is 6 weeks long in the summer, and is 1/2 of the requirement for juniors to become commissioned.

You'll get healthy servings of the same at Quantico. Best not give that type of opinion lest you've been there, done that.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Never amazes me how big of a smile ball some recruiters can be.

They'd ruin someone's life for 1/2 of their monthly requirement. Try talking to the OSO, and make sure he knows who lied to you.

I work in enlisted recruiting right now. Not only are we honest about the PLC program, we actually take kids over to the OSO to talk about it. Kids ARE notified that they can enter that program straight out of college. Since I did PLC I talk to many students about this.

If you think we're wrangling kids around you are sorely mistaken...

With regard to Boot Camp... I've done both and OCS is harder in my opinion. HJ is right on the ball.