• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

J Dub

I have had the awesome oppurtunity to experience both Marine and Navy OCS. Im currently in my 11th week of 12 at Navy OCS. I went through four of ten weeks at Marine OCS in the summer of 2006 before busting my foot and getting sent home. Whoever said that Marine OCS is tougher but Navy OCS sucks more was right on. Marine PT was ten times harder but the mind game of Navy OCS makes it difficult in its own way. But thats all im gonna say about both of them b/c they both are difficult in their own ways.

Indeejordan

Weight Gain for OCS

I was selected for OCC - 198 and have about 88 days until reporting. I was considering putting on some weight before I go to maybe make it easier to carry my gear while humping, having a little more weight to throw around in pugel fighting, and having something to burn off.

Does that make any sense? I am 5'7" about 140lbs. I was considering trying to put on about 10lbs. which will put me at about my optimal weight. I was considering doing a high calorie (3000) and high protein (60g) diet as well as continuing with my physical fitness OCS prep. Any advice out there? Thanks everyone.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could try it I suppose. I think any weight you put on will vanish in a couple weeks. As far as pugil sticks you will fights someone about your size (eyeball size up).

As long as you continue to train smartly I dont think it would hurt.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
How close are you to maxing out your PFT run? I'd say you'd be better off keeping the weight off and dropping your run time (also, get used to running in boots). All that matters about the humps is that you finish without falling out, and pugil sticks are not a scored individual event (when I went through 2 years ago).

Running fast will give you higher grades in almost all of the physical events; PFT, E-course, CRT, etc, and will get you noticed in a positive light more quickly than winning your pugil stick fights or completing a hump more easily than a skinny guy. And there is always the chance that your pull-ups will drop slightly with the increase in body weight.

But if you really want to get ahead at OCS, practice yelling loudly. It may have changed, but I remember your sound-off motivation being somewhere in the neighborhood of 42% of your final GPA.

Indeejordan

My contract PFT was 20pu 100su and 20:12 on the run. I would like to get that run consistently in the 19s. And I do need to work on my sound off. Thanks for the advice.

pjxc415

pilot
don't worry about putting on weight. improve your speed and endurance (base mileage and some speed workouts), lift some weights to improve all around strength (back especially), and run with some weight on if you can. i don't think gaining weight should be a pre-ocs goal, achieving all around health and fitness should be the objective. if weight gain is a by-product of that, then all the better.

standby to lose some weight. i went in at 175 and came out at 160. must have been all that yelling i was doing to get good grades.

lukec

i would vastly increase the protein intake. 60g is pretty weak even for maintaining muscle. i multiply my body weight by 1.2 and try to take in that number of grams of protein each day. Be very mindful of spacing out the intake as not to overload your body with protein at one time (you'll just shat it out, the body can only utilize so much at a time). I wish i had your problem of putting on weight, i'm a short, tub and i can definately atest to the fact that adding 10lbs. of any kind of weight can negatively effect max pullups.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Some pretty good gouge above......

At your body weight, and what appears to be your exertion level, you could be consuming about 74-76 grams of protein per day. This should give you a slight gain in strength and lean body mass.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Some people like 1g of protein per 1kg of body mass, other people (myself included) use the 1g per 1lb of body mass rule. I've never been to OCS, but I can't see the harm in putting mass on, as long as it's good mass (muscle). I don't think dead weight would be a very good idea though.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
you aint gaining 10lbs of lean mass in 80 days..... unless you try an anadrol/deca durobolin stack.

livefast

My contract PFT was 20pu 100su and 20:12 on the run. I would like to get that run consistently in the 19s. And I do need to work on my sound off. Thanks for the advice.

You have nothing to worry about with that PFT. Besides, you can always gain weight at OCS despite what you've been led to believe. It's easy to eat a ton at breakfast on most days and you can always get several pieces of bread with butter and cake for lunch and dinner. The only time you won't be able to eat as much as you want is when you have a billet that's Platoon Sergeant and above (but those only last 2 days).

And on libo you can stuff your fat face as much as you want.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I was selected for OCC - 198 and have about 88 days until reporting.

I was considering doing a high calorie (3000) and high protein (60g) diet as well as continuing with my physical fitness OCS prep. Any advice out there? Thanks everyone.

Congratulations. And I'll echo what others have said. If you want to increase your muscle mass you'll need much more than 60g of protein each day. If I were you I'd aim for 30g/meal, assuming of course, that you're eating 6 times a day.

Trev82

pilot
Whats up cunningham. What everyone above has said is probably the route you'll want to take. My .02 is to continue strengthening your muscles particular in the legs, i.e. around the shins, ankles, calves, etc. Crossfit is an excellent way to prepare and to get you ready for the bursts of energy you'll need while your there. I did crossfit for about 3 weeks before going and it helped tremendously with preventing injuries and increasing my performance. Continue your protein intake and whatever else you want but dont focus soley on gaining weight, continue a dynamic workout routine where you incorporate as many dimensions as you can...weights, crossfit, swimming, running, fartlek, trails, push pulls, etc.... = be as well rounded as possible. Congrats, your in for a good time.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
I wish I could gain weight.... My metabolisms' so fast I have to eat 5 times a day just to maintain my weight. I was under weight by 2 lbs when I went to MEPS and ended up drinking like 5lbs of water before my second weigh in just to make the cut.