• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
1. I second the running shoes suggestion. Maybe a short boots run every now and then just to "remember" how to do it.

2. I helped out this one dude big time during the first week and he hooked me up with this extra stick of Body Glide. Stuff works wonders. Put that on the inside of your legs and you wont get as big of a problem. My biggest problem in that ares was the crotch part of the pants getting soaked with sweat and rubbing.

3. Take care of your feet constantly, not just at signs of blisters. Again, I reccommend Body Glide. I put the stuff on both sides of my foot, on the back of my heel, and on top of the toe knuckle area. One thing that I'm not really gonna reccommend because I dont know if it might cause more harm than good (it worked well for me) - if I would get a blister, I would put 2 or 3 small strips of the white tape over it and then cover that with body glide. Disgusting mess to clean up taking it off, but it worked good!

4. Sorry I dont know.

5. Theres a bunch of places you could go. I went out to Stafford most of the time. a lot of the Applebee's, chili's etc type restaurants. And you can always go catch a movie or something. I never went to one but the thought of sitting in a dark air conditioned room and getting the chance to be brain dead did cross my mind during the weeks.

6. I was 10-weeker as well...

7. Theres 3 CDs recorded at PI. Its called Run with Marines or something like that. Loaded with pretty much every one I heard down there.

8 From what I've heard, when going back to Srs, they make you buy everything again anyhow. If thats true, only take down stuff that you need or think extra of would be beneficial. One trick I did with the stencil - I cut out the letters of my last name and taped them together in a row. Makes life a lot easier when you gotta label 500 name tapes and shirts, etc...a lot quicker.

9. Dont know.

Keep up the training (and proper resting) and motivation!! Remember - theres nothing at OCS that cant be fixed with white tape, Motrin, and chugging a canteen! Salt your food.

Carno

Insane
1. I second the running shoes suggestion. Maybe a short boots run every now and then just to "remember" how to do it.

2. I helped out this one dude big time during the first week and he hooked me up with this extra stick of Body Glide. Stuff works wonders. Put that on the inside of your legs and you wont get as big of a problem. My biggest problem in that ares was the crotch part of the pants getting soaked with sweat and rubbing.

3. Take care of your feet constantly, not just at signs of blisters. Again, I reccommend Body Glide. I put the stuff on both sides of my foot, on the back of my heel, and on top of the toe knuckle area. One thing that I'm not really gonna reccommend because I dont know if it might cause more harm than good (it worked well for me) - if I would get a blister, I would put 2 or 3 small strips of the white tape over it and then cover that with body glide. Disgusting mess to clean up taking it off, but it worked good!

4. Sorry I dont know.

5. Theres a bunch of places you could go. I went out to Stafford most of the time. a lot of the Applebee's, chili's etc type restaurants. And you can always go catch a movie or something. I never went to one but the thought of sitting in a dark air conditioned room and getting the chance to be brain dead did cross my mind during the weeks.

6. I was 10-weeker as well...

7. Theres 3 CDs recorded at PI. Its called Run with Marines or something like that. Loaded with pretty much every one I heard down there.

8 From what I've heard, when going back to Srs, they make you buy everything again anyhow. If thats true, only take down stuff that you need or think extra of would be beneficial. One trick I did with the stencil - I cut out the letters of my last name and taped them together in a row. Makes life a lot easier when you gotta label 500 name tapes and shirts, etc...a lot quicker.

9. Dont know.

Keep up the training (and proper resting) and motivation!! Remember - theres nothing at OCS that cant be fixed with white tape, Motrin, and chugging a canteen! Salt your food.

Hah.. I went to a movie once. Slept through the whole thing.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
If you have pain in your legs quit running in boots. DUH. And another thing quit over thinking everything, You made it through the first 6 weeks, so you are not an idot. Don't worry about all the other trash. And yes buy like 4 rub-a-dubs (they are made by sharpie)

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
1. Back off on the boots and mileage until your knees heal, then run at least 5 miles a week in them. When I went through, 90% of Srs. PT was in boots/utes. If you don't like ICBs, don't run/hump in them.

2. I used bike shorts; worked well. I've heard good things about vaseline as well.

3. There are volumes of books on the subject. Find what works prior to TBS.

4. Gross. Take care of feet to avoid blisters, and seek corpsman advice if you feel the same symptoms.

5. Outside of Q-town is a candidate money trap. You'll pay $150 to wolf down a $50 meal and sleep in a hotel room with 3 other dudes and get in a cab with 5 other dudes. You'll be too tired to enjoy much of anything.

6. Unknown. That must be a new thing. I imagine it's pretty basic, such as General Orders, leadership traits/principles, and FT/squad tactics.

7. Interweb.

8. Theoretically, if you show that you have EVERYTHING on the list when you show up, they'll let you skip issue. Realistically, I don't think that's ever happened. The gear issue will likely change each year. Bring both 1/2 and 1 inch athletic tape for gear marking, because you never know what company SOP might be that year. Reusing your stencil might be a good idea as well.

9. They must have upgraded the markers since I went through. Just ask your mom what you used to use that never came out in the washer.

I'm sure you know all about the crappy moonbeams, so you're probably planning to bring extra bulbs and batteries.

Strep throat: dude, go see a doctor. That ain't right. Motrin, ice, and water.

A.Kuettel

3. Any suggestions for avoiding blisters. My feet held up well last time, they blistered twice, but each time I was numb to the pain :) Would under armor-type socks help reduce the point-friction due to the boots rubbing?

I had an Army recruiter/family friend tell me that he took his recruits out to a beach and made them run bare-foot to toughen their feet up before boot-camp. The sand helps toughen your feet and gets them use to friction and heat. It worked for me. I also second what someone said about the two sock method. I use a slick dress sock for the first pair along with foot powder and a regular boot sock for the second.

MasterHaynes86

Thanks for the suggestions. Tho, I must disagree with my "overthinking" it. If My OSO called me and said "Haynes get your [censored] together, you leave tomorrow" I would be fine because I could get what I would need on libo or when we get buzzed. I lost ALOT of sleep last time through due to gear, suprisingly, and not so much on essays.

My knees just had a little discomfort, like if u banged it into a desk. I think I'll give them about 5 miles a week on moderate jogs instead of higher intense jogs.

A.Kuettel, do u know of any nice sandy beaches near Fort Worth? I assume you've been here b/c of the PM... If you do, please let me know, I'dl ike to try that out.

Just ask your mom what you used to use that never came out in the washer.
My mom is a former Nazi when it comes to clothing and nothing slipped by her... lol... Rub-a-Dub will prolly do...

Sorry to be a nuissance, lol... you dont even understand how excited about PLC Srs I am... I visit my OSO on a weekly basis just to let him know I'm counting down time. I also got to see a young engineering student take his oath as well. That was exciting!

Basically I want to go back and not have to worry about little trash gettin in the way and am looking for suggestions to reduce that trash. Marking clothing, blisters, ect... I love this forum and the wide array of knowledge it has to offer.

S/F

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...6. Is the entry test still in place for returning Srs? If so, I will be needing to devote MORE time to OCS Study material...

This used to be up on the ocs website. They have just changed the site and it isnt there anymore. Maybe someone who downloaded a copy before can get you one. Do you still have your binder with all the handouts? Just study over the basics of that and you should be fine. I remember looking at the Srs test once after I came home and it appeared to be bits and pieces of tests that you already took down there. Focus on the ELO/TLOs

MasterHaynes86

I still have my PLC Jrs book... I wonder if my OSO might have a copy of that test... hmmm...

thanks Slammer... the test kinda has me freaked because u get dropped if you fail it... ewww... I wont fail...

Retreat, hell, we just got here.

SMILE4BULLETS

getting a copy of the test before you go is like sleeping with your sister. you're not supposed to know all the tricks of the trade for OCS--that's how they evaluate you. i wouldnt stress about the test

C-Mike

9. Where can I get some of that NEAR PERMANENT ink they give you in the bag issues... I marked one shirt with it and it was the only one that didn't fade.

Have you tried/heard of Sharpie "Industrial Super Permanent"? On the marker is says "Specially formulated ink for industrial, laboratory, and or commercial use. REMAINS permanent under most chemical washes and extreme heat and steam (up to 500 deg. F)

I'm not sure how common they are in the stores, however I would think it would hold up pretty well to standard washing.

MasterHaynes86

getting a copy of the test before you go is like sleeping with your sister. you're not supposed to know all the tricks of the trade for OCS--that's how they evaluate you. i wouldnt stress about the test

they put the test on the site a while back and it poofed due to the webmaster playing around and some other shart.

Have you tried/heard of Sharpie "Industrial Super Permanent"?
thanks. I will definitely look into finding a few of these. But, it still isn't guarenteed. Those washers at OCS can get anything out of your trash except dirt...