• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

Clux4

Banned
You get some much needed time away from the joys of TBS garrison life.

Such joy would include waiting on the WORD! You would be happy when you drive off looking at that place from your rearview mirror.

Live FEX to FEX and you will be fine. Those cobat orders really get old by the end:sleep_125

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
No more saying kill at OCS. Pretty gay if you ask me, but that's the way it is.

Looks like your glass is getting a little low there ... let me top ya off ;)
Kool-AidMan.jpg

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Not to mention unadulterated stupidity. You get enough food.

Not all the time. Box chows suck and you never get enough during hot chow pickup because the servers from other platoons or light duties screw your over.

As for payphones... they're still there, just not next to our barracks. We're in the temporary trailers they set up (behind the JRs PT field on the other side of engineer road). We didn't have hot water for 3 or 4 weeks so we would go over to the other barracks to take a hot one once a week... it ended up being one big pool of celuliteis to walk in.

The 6 weekers also arrived yesterday.

We have a FEX tomorrow + night land nav and squad in the o + LRC 2 on tuesday.

later

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Yeah man good luck...keep us up to speed on OCS.

well, things were pretty crazy until 1st increment graduated. There are Bravo (PLC) and Delta (OCC) companies that aren't normally here... things have calmed down since then but it'll probably get more hectic once the new 6 weekers start training.

We've lost close to 20% of our platoon that got picked up post PFT to DOR/boards but some of them didn't belong here really (couldn't climb the ropes, fell out of first PT run, failing tests, etc).

PT up to now hasn't been impossible, but its a pretty good workout... the run time on my intermediate PFT was 2 minutes faster than my indoc.
things are starting to pick up speed.. we did intro to endurance course at about a 45-50 minute pace and close to half the platoon fell out on the first running segment... and that is without the o-course in the beginning (because it was raining).

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Also, nearly everybody failed the inspection prior to the first liberty (and less so subsequently, but still many failed). We got it anyway. That was a shock to me.

We only had around 3 pass the first inspection.. maybe 7 the second inspection.

The second was the morning after IMC so it was a long night.

Everything from here on out is uniform inspections... no lockers and JOB so things should get better.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
This would have been quite possibly the greatest thing that could have happened for me. The straight out runs kicked my ass there for some reason. I could hang with the rest of it.

We haven't done anything much longer than 3 miles... but the 3 miles gets pretty tough when someone falls out so you gotta go back and get them and end up running up and down Da Nang four - five times.

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
We haven't done anything much longer than 3 miles... but the 3 miles gets pretty tough when someone falls out so you gotta go back and get them and end up running up and down Da Nang four - five times.
Sounds like its still a good workout, but I really thought that those 6 mile squad runs really brought the group together, especially when you had some jack rabbit SI running the group. It really became a group effort toward the end with everybody pushing everyone along. However, I'm sure running up and down Da Nang more than one time will have the same effect. Keep up the good work.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like its still a good workout, but I really thought that those 6 mile squad runs really brought the group together, especially when you had some jack rabbit SI running the group. It really became a group effort toward the end with everybody pushing everyone along. However, I'm sure running up and down Da Nang more than one time will have the same effect. Keep up the good work.

Our PTI took over after about 2 miles with one of our slower SIs. I've never been so close to passing out in my life, but I stayed in.

And that mess about living in trailors and only getting a few hot showers...THAT has to suck.

And there's no more screaming kill at all at OCS? Call me a Kool-Aid sucker, but seriously...

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Our PTI took over after about 2 miles with one of our slower SIs. I've never been so close to passing out in my life, but I stayed in.
Been there man. On one of the 5 or 6 mile runs, most of us had stopped sweating and the sweat on our shirts had all evaporated. I was seeing flashing colors and really can't recall the last mile or so, but we all finished. Don't know how "safe" it was, but nothing like getting that close to heat stroke to really learn something about yourself. Priceless education.

MettGT

pilot
Mett, didnt realize you were in Bravo company. Congrats. Are you doing IFS here? Fox just finished zero week (9 working days), which was total suckage. I haven't figured out from the senior companies whether TBS actually gets better or if they have just blissfully accepted their position in life. At any rate, I can't wait to get to training where the whole company doesn't hate life to the fullest.

As for the topic the thread has taken, I haven't been to a command in the operating forces where people don't trade duties. Even units cut deals with each other to take each others duties. You have a ball or mess night, we take your duty. You take ours when it's our turn. No lack of integrity there. They just want to be anal with you at the training command, and that's their prerogative because anal is the default setting.

Thanks, it feels great to be done. Staying here for IFS - I start tomorrow with Dulles Aviation out at Manassas Regional. Sorry to disappoint, but TBS doesn't get better until you graduate. Granted some times are better than others - and there is fun to be had on the weekends and out in the field. I had a lot of fun with MOUT. Here's to hoping that you don't have to deal with weeks without hot water, several days without water period , leaky and condensating pipes in your room, termites crawling out of your facuets/shower drains, mice, and mold. Beware A101/A103! :eek:

phrogpilot73

Sorry to disappoint, but TBS doesn't get better until you graduate. Granted some times are better than others - and there is fun to be had on the weekends and out in the field.
Very true. TBS or "The Big Suck" is named as such for a reason. If you take the FIGMAC attitude, then it will be miserable. I enjoyed it because I was considering dropping my air contract for a tanker slot (glad I didn't).

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Our PTI took over after about 2 miles with one of our slower SIs. I've never been so close to passing out in my life, but I stayed in...

One of two times I almost passed out was the 4 mile squad run shortly after going up Da Nang. Props to my squad for pushing me through those outdoor showers to cool off 4 times instead of taking their turns. Possibly the only thing that saved my ass.

The other was after the moto run. Damn train came and our platoon sgt. decided it would be fun for us to sprint over the bridge and then down to the brig and back. I dont remember any of the Colonols speech or the next hour.