• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
about $3500...but that was just me, never really went out and rented a hotel room for the night...

If you are married you will make more b/c you get BAH. I'm married and my pay checks were almost double that of the single candidates in my platoon.

atflor

pilot
Navy Vs. Marine OCS

This is probably a stupid question, but what are the most significant differences between the PT elements of Navy and Marine OCS? Is Navy OCS known for being easier physically than Marine OCS? How do they match up? I hear about guys going into Marine OCS already running 18 minute 3 miles and still getting F'd up at OCS. If it's the same for the Navy, I might be in for more than I thought.

snizo

Supply Officer
Check out your average Sailor.
Check out your average Marine.

That is the difference between Navy PT and Marine PT.

As for OCS - I'll leave that to those more experienced ;)

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
Two total different missions. Marine OCS is desinged to screen individuals to become provisional rifle platoon commanders (basic infantry). Navy OCS is desinged to screen for something a lot different.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy OCS is a joke. Pure and simple. I doubt they've made any improvements in the last several years... for crying out loud, we're allowed to use the ellyptical machine for the PRT in my command now. I am no rock star athlete, but even I think that the Navy's standards (and PT in OCS) are weak. I'm sure the Marine Gunnies (at Navy OCS) wish it was tougher.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
As for the "joke" that is Navy OCS Pt... it's not that much of a joke... but it's no training to be a world-class athlete. It's a good workout every morning... nothing more, nothing less.

MasterBates

I'm with Kmac on this one..

Besides morning PT, which was not all that long or bad, the only real excercise other wise was the random beatdowns for stupidity..

Aside from a certain Saturday....

There were maybe 3 or 4 rough runs at OCS in 13 weeks. I think they were more rough due to a combo of Freak Humidity and being extremely hung over.

I think the eliptical is a good option for those with knee problems or other issues. The way I have seen it treated is you have to have a "Reason" to do it.

KSUFLY

pilot
I'm with Kmac on this one..

Besides morning PT, which was not all that long or bad, the only real excercise other wise was the random beatdowns for stupidity..

Aside from a certain Saturday....

There were maybe 3 or 4 rough runs at OCS in 13 weeks. I think they were more rough due to a combo of Freak Humidity and being extremely hung over.

I think the eliptical is a good option for those with knee problems or other issues. The way I have seen it treated is you have to have a "Reason" to do it.

Only at Navy OCS can that be an excuse...or can you go out drinking at Marine OCS too?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

If I remember correctly, those were the formation runs on Saturday. I actually enjoyed those quite a bit because the cadences were typically non-PC and somewhat entertaining. I guess I shouldn't say that PT was a joke, but I know that Gunny Cagle wanted to do more overall strength exercises, rather than just slow runs. Do you remember the day we actually got to run sprints, do pull-ups, and all the other stuff? It almost felt like we were actually "training" for something. Good times, good times. PT was my favorite part of the day... staying awake learning about a subject that was either irrelevant to aviation (mo boards) or learning an incredibly easy subject that was inversely proportional to the amount of time spent on it... that was not so much fun. And my final statement:

The ONLY POSITIVE TRAINING at OCS came from Marine Corps drill instructors.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Plan on making about $15,000 per summer at OCS, just to be on the conservative side. Plus the signing bonus.

How in the world did you make $15,000 at OCS for 6 weeks of work? Pay is typically E-5 pay which I can guarentee is less than $10K per month...

Not being a d!ck just trying to figure out how you got your numbers...

Lawman

None
Only at Navy OCS can that be an excuse...or can you go out drinking at Marine OCS too?
Plenty of fools go out and get hammered on liberty, typically to come back and face the suck because PT Monday Mornings is usually tough as hell just because of that fact and the staff is rested. For my company they scheduled intro to the Combat Course the day we returned from that first fat and lazy liberty and nobody hydrated enough over the weekend. We had more drop outs on those combat runs then any other run that took place at OCS.

skittles215

umm $15k and a sign on bonus...SOMEONE clue me in please...is this talk or are you really basing this off of fact bc this is the first time I am hearing of this. When I add the figures up...lets say for the 10 week increment a $15k number is dreaming!