• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
[QUOTE="SELRES_AMDO, post: 1015344, member: 56738"

The big issue is ADSW is voluntary. You don't get any dwell time and can be Mob'd while on ADSW. So I wonder how many reservists will voluntarily sign up for it while trying to balance their civ careers.
[/QUOTE]

I'd say, not many, but that depends on civ employer and that sailors standing with said employer.

It was said above, a MOB or long term orders can't fixed a busted record, but MOBs have always been a breakout metric for 3105s and has been mentioned at several PRODEV events. I.e., everyone at O4+ has at least one MOB so you need to be doing it too. With the number of available and applicable MOBs dwindling that is one reason I'm going when it's available, but what's important now for the promotion boards may not be as important when I'm up to bat.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I didn't even know it was possible to FOS for O-4 in the reserves... I though O-6 was the first real barrier (speaking from VT exp, obv it might be different in different communities?)
Ha, yes. Tell that to my Admin O who just got FOS x2 and is on his way out. Each community is different, but there is no guarantee.

SlickAg

pilot
I didn't even know it was possible to FOS for O-4 in the reserves... I though O-6 was the first real barrier (speaking from VT exp, obv it might be different in different communities?)
You are correct. The ones who don’t make O-5 usually have something in their record from active duty days that makes it pretty much impossible.

They do, however, provide a valuable service in keeping the O-4 Reporting Senior Cumulative Average quite low. In other words, they’re the fitrep fodder to make sure that if you get an EP as an O-4 you’ll make O-5.

Flying reservists have quite a different experience than your standard Mk 1 Mod 0 SELRES. Some small things are universal, but for the best indication of what it’s like at your particular location, go make friends with the reservists. Of course, if you want to join the SAU, it’s best to have been doing that anyway.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 18X5 communities are different. Shortly after I made O-4, I unfriended a fallen angel from that realm on FB who (I'm guessing after too many drinks) went off on me as a "company man," etc. etc. just because I made O-4 and he didn't. To be fair, it was something like a 60 percent selection rate for his community to SELRES O-4 as opposed to the URL numbers.

URL numbers get artificially plussed-up to O-4 because there are plenty of IRR people on the same board who end up as cannon fodder and probably don't care about it anyway.

Edit: And for the 13X5 designators last year, O-5 was roughly 49 percent IZ selection and 15 percent AZ selection, FWIW . . .

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
From the community slides I’ve seen, the 1835 community does feel the squeeze right now. It will get worse before it gets better due to the numbers. I forget where it is now but 60-65% sounds about right.

I’m interested to see how the “no more OCO IAs” will play into it. Yes, there is an individual aspect to it (“Did LT Foxtrot mob or not?”) but I wonder if there will be larger funding repercussioms to the change. As in, will the number of O4, O5, and O6 1835 billets get downsized over time if Navy intel is no longer filling billets downrange in support of OCO?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You most certainly can FOS for O4 in the Reserve. It's happening most with 1835's from what I am seeing due to the sheer number of people competing for O4. Look at the selection rates for O4/1835. It's terrible.

O4 is the golden gate for the Reserve because the Navy owes you 20 years of commissioned service and, after making O4, you can coast to retirement or do other things, or stay competitive for O5 and above.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’m going to be up for that gold oak leaf in the near future. Selection rates are bad now - if the DoD takes force shaping cuts in the next 4 years of the new administration, it will get worse for O3s trying to stay in.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Remember, you never stand so tall as when you kneecap the guy standing next to you.
All you have to do is to take the difficult jobs in a SELRES unit and you'll be good. Admin/Training/Ops Department Head. That's what gets you the good FITREPs.

Many an 1835 ignore this because they want to play and do fun stuff.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
All you have to do is to take the difficult jobs in a SELRES unit and you'll be good. Admin/Training/Ops Department Head. That's what gets you the good FITREPs.
Yep, you gotta do the leadershippy stuff (aka cat herding).
Many an 1835 ignore this because they want to play and do fun stuff.
A lot of pilots are the same way, but when it comes to the reserves at large, the flying units are well funded for additional drills and discretionary funds for more active duty orders. That means more participation (more days worked) and the reserves loooove participation, er, they "value" it is the official term.

SELRES_AMDO

Know of a some people who FOS'd x 5 and are on their way out. No idea why or how this happened. 2 X on active, 3 X in the reserves.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yep, you gotta do the leadershippy stuff (aka cat herding).

A lot of pilots are the same way, but when it comes to the reserves at large, the flying units are well funded for additional drills and discretionary funds for more active duty orders. That means more participation (more days worked) and the reserves loooove participation, er, they "value" it is the official term.
While they value participation, you still have to do the leadershippy stuff to be competitive.

taxi1

pilot
How you got 2 command tours?
Pick your peer group wisely

200.gif

taxi1

pilot
Know of a some people who FOS'd x 5 and are on their way out. No idea why or how this happened. 2 X on active, 3 X in the reserves.
By the way, speaking of FOS, the current O7 for the NAVAIR reserve program was a multi-FOS O5 at one point. He kept his head down and kept stepping up to the hard jobs and performing, including a MOB downrange. Put himself in position to get picked.

You can't go upstream if you don't pull on the oars.