• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobilizations, when did you tell your employer?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I mean good luck with that... the memo is basically telling the Joint Chiefs and the COCOMs that after twenty years, it's time for them to stop taking shortcuts.
I mean, those IA billets are still going to be filled - by USAFR, USAR, NG, and ANG. And they'll have a great argument for funding if they roger up. As the Navy's memo so directly points out, none of these IA skill sets are necessarily Navy-specific skill sets.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I mean, those IA billets are still going to be filled - by USAFR, USAR, NG, and ANG. And they'll have a great argument for funding if they roger up. As the Navy's memo so directly points out, none of these IA skill sets are necessarily Navy-specific skill sets.
But that's the thing- it's not that the billets exist or that the need for them still exists, it's the fact that they still exist as IA billets.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But that's the thing- it's not that the billets exist or that the need for them still exists, it's the fact that they still exist as IA billets.
And aside from EW-related billets and other niche areas where specific Navy fields have expertise, the only reason that they exist as Navy-coded billets at the Joint Staff level is because Big Navy needed to be seen as "relevant" in an era when CENTCOM was the dominant AOR and otherwise, we'd just be going to and from Mom to turn dead dinosaurs into noise over Iraq/Afghanistan/Syria and occasionally chucking Tomahawks at people when the President got a bug up his ass.

Now, INDOPACOM is a naval AOR, there's a peer threat out there, and we need to have SELRES who are legitimately trained in their MOB billets to support that fight. West Coast units especially can't afford to lose Sailors to go hand out basketballs in Djibouti. We as a Navy Reserve need to stop MOBing people to go do random shit, and individual units need to stop treating DWEs as 2-day coffee stops when the active component throws up their hands and says "we got nothin' for you guys." We need to hold their feet to the fire and say "train us, jackass."

taxi1

pilot
It will be interesting to see what promotion board precepts will say with regards to IAs and their desirability going forward.

SELRES_AMDO

It will be interesting to see what promotion board precepts will say with regards to IAs and their desirability going forward.
I've already seen briefs from the senior Officers in my designator stating ADSW will become more valuable. MOBs will be in short supply so they will start favoring ADSW. Board precepts are obviously not the same thing as a prodev brief from an O-6 but I thought it was interesting.

The big issue is ADSW is voluntary. You don't get any dwell time and can be Mob'd while on ADSW. So I wonder how many reservists will voluntarily sign up for it while trying to balance their civ careers.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The big issue is ADSW is voluntary. You don't get any dwell time and can be Mob'd while on ADSW. So I wonder how many reservists will voluntarily sign up for it while trying to balance their civ careers.
tenor.gif

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Sit on a board as an assistant recorder and find out :) From my experience sitting on boards, an IA/MOB cannot and will not fix a poor record. Many a Reserve 1835 have found this out the hard way when trying to make O4, some of whom have 2xFOS for O4 and are no longer in the Reserve.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Sit on a board as an assistant recorder and find out :) From my experience sitting on boards, an IA/MOB cannot and will not fix a poor record. Many a Reserve 1835 have found this out the hard way when trying to make O4, some of whom have 2xFOS for O4 and are no longer in the Reserve.
I didn't even know it was possible to FOS for O-4 in the reserves... I though O-6 was the first real barrier (speaking from VT exp, obv it might be different in different communities?)