• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mistake???

AGurlWithADream

I have wanted to fly Navy since I was a little girl. I am third gen Navy in my family.
After a year at University of Michigan, I learned that I could not afford the expensive tuition, so I enlisted in the Navy and earned my degree, quickly. I also earned every qualification within my grasp. (AW, SW, MTS, etc.)
I got my perfect OCS package together...complete with all 10's across the board, to include an interview with the XO of NASC. (And now I am bragging, but he did say that I was the most qualified candidate he had ever interviewed!) I have 20/20 vision, all outstandings on PRTs, EPs on every single eval in my career, and great test scores. Not to mention that I was an Aviation Survival Training Instructor in Pensacola, so I had some background info to help prepare myself for success. (Yes, I was one of the mean instructors who taught during your API training!)
To make a long story short, I decided not to submit the package. I got out of the Navy less than a year ago, at the age of 24, to finish my Master degree, which will be complete this May. (That disappointed a few people who really wanted to see me make Naval Aviation my life.) I thought that by getting out and earning my grad degree, I was making the right decision. HOWEVER, I think about the choice daily, if not more. I am constantly wondering if I am selling myself short...could I dare to be great instead of ordinary?
I am a newlywed, which had some bearing on my decision. My husband said that he would support any decision that I make...but I know that he has little desire to see my fly due to the risk of losing me.
I finish grad school in May, and now I am stuck asking myself, "Did I make a huge mistake?"
If so, what can I do to change this?
Is this a feeling that will ever go away? I do not feel that it will ever subside, unless my thirst to fly is quenched.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You'll be 25 when you're done with your degree? You're still well below any age limits. Go to a Navy officer recruiter and ask about OCS. If anything, you're more qualified now than a couple years ago.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Sounds to me like the first thing you need to do is talk with your husband. If your husband says he'll support any decision you make... and yet you decide not to pursue a commission because you think that is really what he would want, then remember it was you that made the decision, and don't hold it against him (not that you are... necessarily).

If you really sat down with your husband and talked about the pro's and con's of a career as a Naval Officer, you may both decide it is the best way to go, or you may both decide it is a bad choice.... but you will make the decision together.

If it really comes down to choosing between your husband and a career as a Naval Officer (which doesn't sound like the case).... well, no one can tell you which decision is a "mistake". Only you will know that. You're going to have to make the decision for yourself and your going to have to live with it.

If you do decide to go back in as an officer, phrogdriver gave you the best advice.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

wrk

My husband said that he would support any decision that I make...but I know that he has little desire to see my fly due to the risk of losing me.

You're much more likely to get killed driving to work than to die in a plane crash during flight training.

Huggy Bear

pilot
My 2 cents is that a part of you will always regret not coming back as an officer and aviator, but once you find a decent career doing something else and/or have children- you won't really look back. FWIW, I've known some great female instructors at my squadron, but almost all of them end up getting out. I don't blame them one bit, they are in their early thirties, hear their biological clocks ticking, and have to make a much greater familal sacrifice than we men do if they choose to stay to 20. You really need to figure out how important children are to you and your husband and make him aware of the realities of raising these children alone while you are deployed.

Good luck.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
do you have any prior flight time? maybe you might want to pay the $60 for a first time lesson to see if it's something you want to do...

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'm working on my Masters right now. I should have it finished right a few months after I turn 23. If I was told I could go to OCC tomorrow, I wouldn't think twice. You can always go back to school.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am constantly wondering if I am selling myself short...could I dare to be great instead of ordinary? "Did I make a huge mistake?" If so, what can I do to change this?
Is this a feeling that will ever go away? I do not feel that it will ever subside, unless my thirst to fly is quenched.

Quench the thirst or check out http://www.drphil.com/

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is a military aviation in general forum. If you want sensitive feel good Oprah-like advice. You've probably come to the wrong place.

My .02, take it or leave it.

Whalebite

do you have any prior flight time? maybe you might want to pay the $60 for a first time lesson to see if it's something you want to do...

This might make up your mind one way or the other, very excellent point, you might try a few flights.

AGurlWithADream

No flight time.
I have finished ground school. (Civ, not military)
And I have flown in a few H-60's while deployed, and also in Fat Albert last summer during the P-cola air show...but no actual flight time.

Not looking for the warm fuzzy...just wanted some professional opinions of people who are already living their dream.

And I am not a fan of Dr. Phil, or Oprah...no time for either!

Thanks for the links and advice, it is much appreciated!