• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Miramar Airshow

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Cougar had railroad tracks on the shoulders of her bag. I thought the Marines didn't do that.

Oh then I have no idea. We don't have any Navy WSO's/NFO's in 101, so maybe someone from another sqdn then.

Some of the more memorable questions I have fielded so far:

"Does this thing go all up into space?"
"At what point was this state of the art?"
"So are you a maintainer?" (at which point they were astounded to find out I was a pilot)
"Is there a difference between this and the Tomcat?"
Real hot girl about my age came up and wanted to know how we pee while we are flying, and several others came to get pics with us
also a little kid asked "have you been in war?" which I responded "no", and without missing a beat he said "so you're a rookie". Then his little bro pointed at me while looking at the ground and mumbled "one day you will go to war" and walked off

Also one lady from Montgomery Field (who's husband is a former Tomcat driver, turned AD-4 airshow driver) started jumping up and down and laughing hysterically when she saw my name......we share the same last name, and her dad and grandpa share my full name. She then took like 30 photos with me :)

First real participant experience at an airshow, and I have to say it has been pretty entertaining.

Jamin'G

pilot
Great lines, John! Especially getting called on the carpet as a "rookie" by the kid! Classic stuff. ;) Makes me want to go to an airshow! ha ha

MPH

QUASI THREAD JACK. I went to the "Swinging Door bar in old town Tustin CA.

Hey, that's my backyard. I'm a big fan of the swinging door. Partially because it's only few blocks from my place, but mostly because the bartenders are ridiculously hot and for the most part genuinely nice chicks.

Good times. If any AW is making a visit in the future let me know and I'll buy you one of their huge beers.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Oh then I have no idea. We don't have any Navy WSO's/NFO's in 101, so maybe someone from another sqdn then.

Some of the more memorable questions I have fielded so far:

"Does this thing go all up into space?"
"At what point was this state of the art?"
"So are you a maintainer?" (at which point they were astounded to find out I was a pilot)
"Is there a difference between this and the Tomcat?"
Real hot girl about my age came up and wanted to know how we pee while we are flying, and several others came to get pics with us
also a little kid asked "have you been in war?" which I responded "no", and without missing a beat he said "so you're a rookie". Then his little bro pointed at me while looking at the ground and mumbled "one day you will go to war" and walked off

Also one lady from Montgomery Field (who's husband is a former Tomcat driver, turned AD-4 airshow driver) started jumping up and down and laughing hysterically when she saw my name......we share the same last name, and her dad and grandpa share my full name. She then took like 30 photos with me :)

First real participant experience at an airshow, and I have to say it has been pretty entertaining.

Did a static display once.
My best question from a kid: "Are you a Blue Angel?"
Me, pointing to the mighty 60 behind me: "No, I fly that."
Kid: "Oh" - with an immediate about face and mosey-on.
:icon_smil

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
About a month or two after the movie Top Gun came out, I was fortunate to take an F-14 for a static display to Cedar Rapids, IA.

Un-f'n believable. We were absolutely mobbed! Like rock stars!
[There is a lot more, but I'll leave it to your imagination. :D ;) :tongue2_1]

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Went to the Fort Smith airshow in 2006 with a T-45. Some old coot comes up and says "I remember seeing these when I was in Grenada." Umm . . . no. You didn't.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Went to the Fort Smith airshow in 2006 with a T-45. Some old coot comes up and says "I remember seeing these when I was in Grenada." Umm . . . no. You didn't.

Good, but not quite as good as a buddy of mine working an MV-22B display getting told by someone that he'd been on that bird back in Vietnam.

Unfortunately, you have to be polite to the crazies at the airshows, and not say,"Look, either you're a faker or you breathed too much Agent Orange!"

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
About a month or two after the movie Top Gun came out, I was fortunate to take an F-14 for a static display to Cedar Rapids, IA.

Might have something to do with living in the middle of a corn field; I know my exposure was limited before I got the F*%# out.

KBayDog

You know, Hot Tub Time Machine brought us all back to 1986.

Just throwing that one out there, Gramps ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah kind of hard sometimes to meter the "no you are wrong" response with some of the more insistent and incorrect know-it-all types. Realized today that I can no longer tell the difference between 15 year old girls and college aged ones.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah kind of hard sometimes to meter the "no you are wrong" response with some of the more insistent and incorrect know-it-all types. Realized today that I can no longer tell the difference between 15 year old girls and college aged ones.

Hopefully it wasn't a police officer who had to point that out to you!

As Chris Rock said,"If a woman tells you she's twenty and looks sixteen, she's twelve. If she tells you she's twenty-six and looks twenty-six, she's damn near forty."

navyao

View attachment 12270

Not the best quality, but I think the picture is awesome. Took it with my Iphone at the Twilight show.

No! That's a very cool pic.

A couple of things...I don't remember there being any bleachers at the Miramar Air Show when I was stationed there, just the sea of lawn chairs. Although people could bring tons of stuff onboard back then.

I was a Sophmore in H.S. when Top Gun came out (oh my God I'm old) anyway, the Air Reserve Base in Milwaukee hosted a pair of F-14A's from VF-33 and my future sq. VF-114 during their open house. One thing I noticed immediately was the difference between east and west coast guys. The VF-33 crew wore a green bag with rank insignia, their boots were shined, Aviator sunglasses & they both wore their covers. The 114 crew wore their orange bags, boots were dull black with orange laces, no covers and non-issue shades. Both jets were mobed but that Aardvark crew looked a hell of a lot cooler. Oh! and I asked good questions, nothing stupid and got a FREE VF-114 patch, by far the coolest air show experience I ever had.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... One thing I noticed immediately was the difference between east and west coast guys. The VF-33 crew wore a green bag with rank insignia, their boots were shined, Aviator sunglasses & they both wore their covers. The 114 crew wore their orange bags, boots were dull black with orange laces, no covers and non-issue shades. Both jets were mobed but that Aardvark crew looked a hell of a lot cooler. Oh! and I asked good questions, nothing stupid and got a FREE VF-114 patch, by far the coolest air show experience I ever had.
There was a huge difference between East and West coast crews back in the day.

It was probably a carryover from Vietnam. Westcoast guys had flown in SEA, while most (but not all) east coast guys had only cruised the Med.

Different environments, different experiences, different rules, different cultures, different priorities.... and it carried over for years.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And that being said, nobody wears covers on the flight line (ie at the airshow), so that part is probably a moot point these days....unless you are a Blue Angel of course. I know very few aviators in my community who wear aviator shades (myself included). I think high school/college aged d-bags have that accessory pretty well covered for the moment :)