• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Aviation Major

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Maybe he plans on applying for the ACCP bonus early.
Like yesterday.

nugget81

pilot
How? I worked this out giving you a 6% (probably higher) interest rate and only 5 compounding periods. That will give you payments of $24,141 a year! Now I'm looking at the O-1 pay thread which says you'll make about $37,567.00 a year. I'm not that good at math, but how do you live off of $13,426 dollars a year (just above the poverty line BTW) for 5 years, and then "afford" a 45K car?

I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious how you're going to survive not eating that long.:D

Two income family....i.e., I'm married.;) And I don't have that Shelby, yet....

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
FYI I will still probably be transfering to Liberty to major in Biblical Studies.
In a way being a military aviator and having a Biblical Studies background are similar, one helps people get in touch with God and one arranges an early meeting.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
FYI I will still probably be transfering to Liberty to major in Biblical Studies.

Not sure how sheltered you are right now but the military might come as a culture shock when you show up. I am not trying to dog on religious types/schools or steer you away from the military but I know a few people who went to colleges like Liberty and their view of the rest of the world is... warped, naive or ignorant. Be ready to have thick skin for all kinds of off colored humor and shenanigans that you probably will not experience in college. Among other things...

Good Luck!

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Don't drink the Kool-Aid. As has been said ad infinitum on the site, an engineering degree (the degree, mind you) is worth no more than a basket-weaving degree once in flight school.

My degree is in freaking Human Resources... You don't need to be an engineer.

loadtoad said:
I know a few people who went to colleges like Liberty and their view of the rest of the world is... warped, naive or ignorant. Be ready to have thick skin for all kinds of off colored humor and shenanigans that you probably will not experience in college.

I am really struggling not to make similar comments about uber-religious types. Please don't tempt the bear...

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
Not sure how sheltered you are right now but the military might come as a culture shock when you show up. I am not trying to dog on religious types/schools or steer you away from the military but I know a few people who went to colleges like Liberty and their view of the rest of the world is... warped, naive or ignorant. Be ready to have thick skin for all kinds of off colored humor and shenanigans that you probably will not experience in college. Among other things...

Good Luck!

I wouldn't consider myself a sheltered person. I've spent the last year at a secular university and have got along fine. Last term I roomed with 4 pot heads (one was a dealer). While I have been described as warped I also most deffinently have thick skin.

I was thinking about going to Liberty mostly because my brother is going there, and as I already have a contract it doesn't matter much what I major in. I figured it's always a good thing to learn more about what you believe. Hence the Bible major. I think I'll adjust ok.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Two income family....i.e., I'm married.;) And I don't have that Shelby, yet....

Ah. I know a few guys who graduated from UND almost 3 years ago with a lot of debt like you, and they have had to get extensions because they can't even afford to make payments yet. You're lucky you're able to do this. You're gonna save a shit ton of cash.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
...as I already have a contract it doesn't matter much what I major in...

Be careful. Don't fall into this trap. This is why I ended up with a BS in Sociology. You can't fly forever (A4s and HAL excepted), and you might need to actually use your degree someday.

Or you could be like me and get an MBA later to cover your ass. You just never know.

Good luck.

Raptor2216

I figured it's always a good thing to learn more about what you believe. Hence the Bible major.

OK, call me crazy but i'm going to attempt to give you a reasonable and logical life plan. I always thought there can't be more useless major out there than communications but I think you have gone a step above and beyond and I can now say there is a more useless major. Life will generally treat you a whole lot better if you make decisions that will have a positive effect on your life in the long run. I don't know how much it pays to "preach" these days but seriously, consider a major that will actually add to human existence....like say, engineering...or at least something that deals with the real world.

By the way, aviation major is a total cop out as well aside from being a total waste of money. If you are really doing it for the flight hours, it would probably be a lot cheaper to do it at a local airport. There is no need to place yourself under heavy debt...because doing so is just another bad decision.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, call me crazy but i'm going to attempt to give you a reasonable and logical life plan. I always thought there can't be more useless major out there than communications but I think you have gone a step above and beyond and I can now say there is a more useless major. Life will generally treat you a whole lot better if you make decisions that will have a positive effect on your life in the long run. I don't know how much it pays to "preach" these days but seriously, consider a major that will actually add to human existence....like say, engineering...or at least something that deals with the real world.

By the way, aviation major is a total cop out as well aside from being a total waste of money. If you are really doing it for the flight hours, it would probably be a lot cheaper to do it at a local airport. There is no need to place yourself under heavy debt...because doing so is just another bad decision.

What about Women's Studies or French? There was a Prowler DH who double-majored in them........Ask Brett, he was in his squadron.

If he plans on becoming a man of the cloth, then maybe not so useless. I was a History major and I use it most days in my current job, believe it or not. So not all 'useless' majors are not so useless after all........

Raptor2216

What about Women's Studies or French? There was a Prowler DH who double-majored in them........Ask Brett, he was in his squadron.

If he plans on becoming a man of the cloth, then maybe not so useless. I was a History major and I use it most days in my current job, believe it or not. So not all 'useless' majors are not so useless after all........

Well, we can talk about exception to the rule all day long but I for one don't make decisions based on exception. Its great that there a those who manage to find work using their "useless" majors but the vast majority of those who major in something like history or women's studies most likely end up having to get a masters or a Phd to really make something of it and even then, it would be difficult. Compare this to a student who studies mechanical engineering and i'm sure that 90% of the time, that student ended up with a job that started off around at least 50-60K/year right out of college. Surely you can't tell me that it is easier to find a well paying job with a degree in history than it is with a degree in something like mechanical engineering. By the way, I really hope this DH was a female because a guy majoring in womens studies would make me stop and think...