• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Aviation Major

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
since this thread has already departed the pattern, I'd like to take this opportunity to mention "manatee", since boozing and womanizing have already been mentioned.

shit, I thought we were going to talk about aviation majors.

HenryF250

I am a LU grad. I normally would not post this in an aviation froum, but I feel compelled to explain this since there is so much LU bashing going on.

The school is not a religious organization such as a church, it is a college for Christians who chose to go there and obey these rules. This college is commited to the Bible and although the rules or "Liberty Way" seem over the top they are rules to help a person who is a Christian live a moral Christ-like life. It is not to say that drinking a beer, dancing, hanging out with the opposite sex, etc. is wrong, they just dont want you doing it while a student. They want students to know that there is enjoyment and satisfaction in living a life that is not simply satisfied with temporary pleasures but satisfied in a holy life and the fruits of a holy life committed to the Bible. I know this sounds foriegn and I assume you are mocking me, but I would expect that. Just read the posts on this subject and please be careful who is labeled judgemental. I was a distance learning grad and did obey the Liberty way the best I could. LU is a good school, I have no regrets for attending. Im not angry, I just wanted to explain the way I see it. :icon_mi_1

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
HenryF250 Did you find it difficult going to a situation where the types of things forbidden were now encouraged? My only experience was a couple guys in the squadron that went to very restrictive schools then failed wide open when they got to a ready room that did car bombs every chance we got.

HenryF250

HenryF250 Did you find it difficult going to a situation where the types of things forbidden were now encouraged? My only experience was a couple guys in the squadron that went to very restrictive schools then failed wide open when they got to a ready room that did car bombs every chance we got.

I went to LU as I was in the Navy. I have been in the Navy for 8 years and lived a life committed to the Bible for 7 years. I guess if you had no reason to obey the rules other than for obedience sake it would be difficult making a transition. But, if you obey the Bible out of love for God and man then it is not hard at all. (an attempt to answer without getting too in depth :icon_tong)

nugget81

pilot
Getting back on topic...

I think that an aviation major, military focus or not, can help you in flight school. I graduated from University of North Dakota with Commercial Aviation and Air Traffic Control majors (dual major). I went into Primary with a little over 300 hours, CFI & CFII, and no instruction-given hours. I did well in Primary because of three things:

1. I worked my ass off to be the best I could for each and every flight (most of the time ;))
2. I had better situational awareness in the cockpit than most students because I had been there before, albeit not in a military training environment
3. My instrument skills, while rusty at first (I hadn't flown in over a year), quickly came back and made Basic Instruments and Radio Instruments an enjoyable experience for me

I have several friends who entered Primary with some prior flight time, ranging anywhere from Private Pilots with 50 hours to ATP's with thousands of hours. All of them did well and got what they asked for (the planets must have been in alignment for us all). However, this information is of a limited scope as we all still have Advanced to get through. Eventually everyone else will catch up (so I'm told).

There is so much that I learned in college that I don't use in flight school. There have been several instances where I ask myself, "Why the heck do we do that? That makes no sense!" I struggled with doing things the Navy way ("Well that's not how I learned to do that!") On the flip side, I have a broader foundation and understanding of aviation than a music major or poly-sci major likely does. In fact, a couple of times I heard "I'm not sure how many of our IP's know that!" to answers I gave during briefs. But I also have a very in-depth fascination with aviation as a whole. I enjoy it so much that I have taken the time to learn as much as I can about aviation (military or civilian). I have no regrets about going to college to learn about something I love to do. Some might call me a "prophead", but I can say that I get paid to do what I love!

My advice - go for what you want to do and give it your best!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Getting back on topic...

I think that an aviation major, military focus or not, can help you in flight school. I graduated from University of North Dakota with Commercial Aviation and Air Traffic Control majors (dual major).
What did that cost you? Aviation majors, how much are you guys forking out?

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot

A fellow UND grad here, I paid something like $45,000 in flight costs. All of my schooling was covered by scholarships though. I was NPQ out of highschool due to asthma so I thought I would fly on the civilian side.

Somebody asked what % aviation majors get jets. Of the 10 from my school that recently selected, 7 are in jet land, 1 wanted jets and got helos (high grades, bad week), 1 wanted C-130s and got them, and 1 attrited (realized he didn't really want it like he used to and that family life was more important to him). Half of my class in advanced had aviation degrees. The other half had no prior flight time.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Somebody asked what % aviation majors get jets. Of the 10 from my school that recently selected, 7 are in jet land, 1 wanted jets and got helos (high grades, bad week), 1 wanted C-130s and got them, and 1 attrited (realized he didn't really want it like he used to and that family life was more important to him). .

LOL....I selected in the same class. It was a killer.:D I suspect I know who you guys all are. Hope things are going well at the Rock.;)

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

At Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, on a Navy ROTC scholarship, the housing costs are reduced by about 9K. So what's left over is about 10-15K over 4 years for a "Aeronautical Science with Military Pilot Specialty".

nugget81

pilot

I took out about $100K in student loans over a 5 year period (got my AAS, then transferred to UND), but when I pay those off in less than 5 years I'm treating myself to a Shelby GT500 King Snake :D.

And also....it's been worth every penny.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I took out about $100K in student loans over a 5 year period (got my AAS, then transferred to UND), but when I pay those off in less than 5 years I'm treating myself to a Shelby GT500 King Snake :D.

Of course, if you hadn't taken those loans insteda of shelling out 50K for the king shank, you could pony up and get a Ford GT (if you are a ford man) cause you would have....all...that....extra....money.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

It's not costing me anything. The American people, on the other hand...well, they're paying a bit.

My school also covers all room and board for NROTC students so I really don't pay anything. It's nice.

I should point out the Navy won't pay for our CFI, CFII, MEI, etc. here - only Private, Instrument, Commercial, and Multi. We typically graduate without about 250 hrs

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
It's not costing me anything. The American people, on the other hand...well, they're paying a bit.

My school also covers all room and board for NROTC students so I really don't pay anything. It's nice.

I should point out the Navy won't pay for our CFI, CFII, MEI, etc. here - only Private, Instrument, Commercial, and Multi. We typically graduate without about 250 hrs

Ok ...that's just wrong! What's your name again ...hmmm, gonna track you on the accelerated syllabus :) when you show up!

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
OK, update time.

I need to graduate by 2010 to fulfill my end of my OCS contract. I contacted the Ret. Capt. in charge of the aviation program, and he told me that I would not be able to complete the requirments by then.

So... long story short I will not be pursuing the major further. Thank you to everyone who replied and PMed me with info.

FYI I will still probably be transfering to Liberty to major in Biblical Studies.

Thanks again.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot

How? I worked this out giving you a 6% (probably higher) interest rate and only 5 compounding periods. That will give you payments of $24,141 a year! Now I'm looking at the O-1 pay thread which says you'll make about $37,567.00 a year. I'm not that good at math, but how do you live off of $13,426 dollars a year (just above the poverty line BTW) for 5 years, and then "afford" a 45K car?

I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious how you're going to survive not eating that long.:D