• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MIdshipman Fails Drug Test

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
This definately is pissing a lot of mids off and it sucks because I have the 4 strikes against me (minority,varsity athlete,napster, and prior). This makes not only the Academy look bad but raises dissent against those of us with strikes.....

pharaelga

Haha what I mean by strikes.... there was a brief here a little while back, where it was explained that there were "critics" of those four population groups at the Academy (not surprising). The brief was aimed at showing why the Naval Academy actively recruits and retains individuals from the four groups I mentioned in parentheses. I just thought it was pretty funny I belong to all four. I'm just as pissed as the next guy because it makes minorities look bad and raises the question of the whole quality verses diversity issue. Give me the damn job because I'm qualified not because I'm a minority.

pharaelga

Minority? Check.... Athlete? Check.... Now if only he were a female he would be untouchable....
It angers me but it is true..... If I'm able to get my wings I will constantly be looked at as "oohh I know how he got here he's black....." The diversity thing is making things more complicated and backlash is expected because merit is no longer being consider, but also the color of the person's skin. That in my humble opinion is a form of reverse racism. What also angers me to no end is the fact I'm the only black guy in my aero class and every time the instructor hints at aviation not being for everybody he looks squarely in my direction. Last time I checked I made A's and B's on every assignment I've turned in. Sorry for the addition this is just a hot button issue for me.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
It angers me but it is true..... If I'm able to get my wings I will constantly be looked at as "oohh I know how he got here he's black....." .
DUDE,I can't vouch for what goes on inside FREDDY'S FINISHING SCHOOL FOR BOAT CHUGS, but rest assured, your perception is WRONG.. all should watch Morgan Freeman's 60 minutes interview. Someone post it?

pharaelga

With the whole issue with the color guard and now this, racial matters have been amplified 10x here. I will work my ass off to prove that I'm the best regardless of whether I'm goin against white, black, or asian. I refuse to accept a defeatist mentality that I feel has kept the "black" stereotype up. Thats one reason I guess for my perceived arrogance, if someone wants to keep me from my goals I will run them over. It annoys me to all hell that some loser in a trailer park thinks he's better than me because of the color of his skin. I'm definately not one to blame "the man" because I'm here and getting a damn fine education. But sir, these attitudes still exist, it's something I hear everyday.

exhelodrvr

pilot
"If I'm able to get my wings I will constantly be looked at as "oohh I know how he got here he's black....." "

Worst case is that a few people will be slightly suspicious initially; but as long as you pull your weight, are decent in the aircraft, and don't use "minority" as a reason if something unfortunate happens (i.e. don't ge the job you want, don't get ranked as high as you would like on your evals), any suspicions will quickly depart.

exhelodrvr

pilot

The second aspect with experience is dealing with personal issues. As an example, how often can the average JO offer some solid advice to someone going through a divorce, childcare issues, finances, etc? I'm not trying to use a wide brush to paint all JO's in the same color, but realistically, most are still trying to figure out about life in general, not just their professions.

Stay away from getting involved personally - try to be aware of when your troops are having problems, and then get them to the people who are trained in those areas. Don't be giving advice in those areas!!

exhelodrvr

pilot
Roger Staubach? Ok, couldn't resist and I do realize he is one in a million. Thanks for the feedback to my question, I hope this gets overturned. While I did not attend the Academy, I do hold it in high regards (though I would prefer to work for a Mustang then any reg college grad... whole other discussion thread). This guy gives the Navy as a whole a black eye and I hope it is properly resolved. People do make mistakes, but this fella has obviously made a multitude of mistakes since attending the Academy.

He wasn't viewed that way when he was coming out of high school.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It angers me but it is true..... If I'm able to get my wings I will constantly be looked at as "oohh I know how he got here he's black....." The diversity thing is making things more complicated and backlash is expected because merit is no longer being consider, but also the color of the person's skin. That in my humble opinion is a form of reverse racism. What also angers me to no end is the fact I'm the only black guy in my aero class and every time the instructor hints at aviation not being for everybody he looks squarely in my direction. Last time I checked I made A's and B's on every assignment I've turned in. Sorry for the addition this is just a hot button issue for me.

Rest assured, when you show up to a fleet squadron, to quote GySgt Ermey..."you are all equally worthless." No one cares if you are black, white, or martian. All anyone cares about is if you are a good stick and a safe and knowledgeable pilot/FO who isn't an unbearable prick in the wardroom. Use your ears and mouth in their natural proportions. If in doubt, shut the fuck up, and no one will fault you for it...unless its in the plane.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Interview is the the best reply ever, thanks for posting... in 15 years, Ive never seen any racial discrimination amongst O's (is this a rarity???)...

I have seen percption of discrimination utilized as a crutch for their God given inadequacies as previously noted, don't do it.... ever... or banish yourself to TURD-DOM for all eternity.

The comment about black, purple.. alien pretty much covers it, one doesn't suck because they are black, purple or alien, they suck because the efing suck. This midie ass clown is a piece of crap because he is a piece of crap, and for no other "biased" reason.

IF he makes it through, he will witness that CHARMA IS A MEAN BITCH.

pharaelga

Excellent video..... you know how many people here stop me and joke "hey its your month" its stupid lol... I've been raised to believe it is an honor the white man gave us for feeling bad about slavery. I'm definately with Mr. Freeman on that issue....

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
interview is the the best reply ever, thanks for posting... In 15 years, ive never seen any racial discrimination amongst o's (is this a rarity???)...

I have seen percption of discrimination utilized as a crutch for their god given inadequacies as previously noted, don't do it.... Ever... Or banish yourself to turd-dom for all eternity.

The comment about black, purple.. Alien pretty much covers it, one doesn't suck because they are black, purple or alien, they suck because the efing suck. This midie ass clown is a piece of crap because he is a piece of crap, and for no other "biased" reason.
+1

sf

pharaelga

Also to make it clear, I attribute any short coming I have to my own lack of preparation or effort, I will not enslave myself with the mentality that it's the "white man's fault" for my misfortune, I was just stating that I dont want the flipside of that, which is "I bet he's achieved so much because he's black and gets preferential treatment."