• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MIdshipman Fails Drug Test

B

bacardi00185

With all the questions that appear on the website about obtaining drug waivers and the multitude of answers saying its simple "Don't Do It" I thought the following article was interesting. I realize that not everyone who pops on a whizz quiz gets booted, however as the story is written it makes you wonder the was the benefit is of retaining this midshipman.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/01/navy_academy_drugs_update_012710w/

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Naval Academy football player is being permitted to continue as a midshipman even after testing positive for drug use...

There's your answer. The Team's doing well lately, no Supe wants to fark that up. It's happened at all the Academies, and it always winds up in scandal. Cheating, drugs, what have you.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
...he told Naval Academy leaders he didn?t know what he was smoking was marijuana...

Okay, I'm calling shenanigans on this one too. I just don't see someone smoking a "cigar" and not realizing that it is not all tobacco.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd say I'm surprised, but definitely not. There have been numerous instances of preferential treatment for football players in the past. It's a shame that most of the guys on the team, who came to USNA for the right reasons and work their asses off all four years, get lumped in with a few dumbasses.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
What kind of long term consequences will this guy have? I mean, will he be a target once he hits the fleet?

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
So I see we have a zero tolorance (unless we really like you) policy in the Navy now. Fuckin unbelievable. I guess that after smoking his blunt he didn't realize that something didn't feel quite right? I can't believe that senior leadership is actually keeping this douche around and playing his "I didn't know" game. I don't give a damn if the team was undefeated. To put the accomplishments for a game against our own integrity is absurd.

"People with knowledge of the situation also said the player already had three honor code violations before failing his drug test."

So does the academy only have 2 core values? Courage and Commitment? Because it sure as shit took a set of nuts to be so stupid as to smoke up and then tell your CoC that you didn't know, and obviously they have a commitment to the football team. Where the hell do we draw the line with this kid? Wait until he rapes or murders someone? He obviously does not have the maturity or integrity to be a leader. I for damn sure wouldn't work for him, nor trust him.

:icon_rage:icon_rage

Reactions: Van

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Two unnamed sources, a canned response by the PAO, comments from the CDR Salamander blog, and some chick at USD who has "many connections to the Navy and the Naval Academy through family and friends."

Once again Navy Times leaves you wondering how it is they've gone so long without a Pulitzer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I completely agree that the Navy Enquirer isn't exactly a cornerstone of the journalist's craft.

But still...dude pops positive, and he's kept? I've known deck seamen to get bounced for less. I'm not sure what other side to that story there could possibly be.

The thing I don't buy is the multiple honor offenses. Maybe multiple accusations, but it's rare someone gets kept even after one. Multiple HO's...nah, nobody gets kept for that, even football players.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Does he know how many marijuana laced cigars you'd have to puff on to pop positive? What a weak cover. Boot his ass.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
If everything is as it appears, this asshole will be the perfect role model for the junior Sailors out of high school "Ok, long weekend, everybody stay safe, don't drink & drive, no drugs. Oh, btw, if you need someone, call your LPO or the Chief cause I'll be home smoking it up reading High Times".

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so according to NCAA policy, if you pop, you are banned for a year and lose a year of eligibility. Or does that not count unless the NCAA does the test?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Whatever happened to this concept ??? Is it now officially dead ??? Or merely inconvenient ... and passé ... ???

9781591143970.jpg