• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Meridian Gouge

skotc9

Alright, I've checked out all the threads concerning a move to Meridian and checking in. I'm just wondering if all the information is still current. Such as where to live, when to check-in, etc. as the last time that it was discussed was well over six months ago. My orders are for Aug 14th. Is this a class-up date? Or just a show up date? I'm coming form Vance and really feel like a fish out of water right now as I have no idea what's going on, and no one out here really seems to know either. Thanks.

Jay

Aug 14th would probably be you check-in date, not necessarily your class up date. There really isn't a wait, so as soon as you check-in, you'll probably be put in the next class. Don't rely on the class-date you get assigned leaving Primary, seems it's rarely the same. Do you have a roommate? I would say in addition to the typical apartment recommendations off hwy 39, a nice house on dalewood lake would be money, close to the back "in only" gate and since there's not much to do in town, you could entertain yourself on a boat or fish. If I had to do it all over again, that's definately where I'd live, just make sure you find a "nice" place there, it does have it's share of trailers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recommendation? Live near town. I lived on North Hills by the FoodMax... close to most things you need and only 15 minutes to base. Living in Dalewood is living in the middle of nowhere. Literally.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recommendation? Live near town. I lived on North Hills by the FoodMax... close to most things you need and only 15 minutes to base. Living in Dalewood is living in the middle of nowhere. Literally.
Agreed. It's good to have friends that live in Dalewood so you can go there and hang out, but it's pretty much way out of the way of everything but itself . . .

My recommendation would be to look for something between town and base, or on the north side of town for a decent commute time and quality of life.

skotc9

Actually they told me today that I have to report ASAP after DJET, and then I really class up on 14AUG. So I guess that I'll check in Thursday morning and see where it goes from there. Are places out on one of the lakes reasonable to rent? thanks.

Jay

The majority of the lake homes I think are reasonable, but you almost have to have a roommate. They typically run around $1000, split between two BAH's is very affordable. I live over by North Hills, and I agree with the others, it's very close to all the good stuff to do in Meridian like...........and..........and then of course there's.......oh wait...there is nothing good to do in Meridian, hence the reason my boat wouldn't be in storage right now if I lived on a lake.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The majority of the lake homes I think are reasonable, but you almost have to have a roommate. They typically run around $1000, split between two BAH's is very affordable. I live over by North Hills, and I agree with the others, it's very close to all the good stuff to do in Meridian like...........and..........and then of course there's.......oh wait...there is nothing good to do in Meridian, hence the reason my boat wouldn't be in storage right now if I lived on a lake.

Haha, I guess it's just personal preference. If I'm hungry, I want to drive 1 minute to the Quiznos, or Foodmax, or Zoi's. I don't want to drive 20 minutes. I'd rather visit the lake than live there. To each his own.

Firebert

Not a good Commando name
pilot
Agree with Fly, live on the north side of town. It's a 20 min drive, but at least it doesn't have traffic for the most part. That changes a little when the schools here start up.

Dalewood also has GCA traffic at night during the week; so if you have the 0600 sim with Mr. Kay (be there at about 0500), you might want your beauty sleep.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Haha, I guess it's just personal preference. If I'm hungry, I want to drive 1 minute to the Quiznos, or Foodmax, or Zoi's. I don't want to drive 20 minutes. I'd rather visit the lake than live there. To each his own.

Comming from the guy who would make a 3hr drive to P'cola to just to eat sushi...

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I found living in The Woodlands (aka BOQ South) is fine. Right smack in the middle. Not too far from base, town, or dalewood and theres a pool :)

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The housing office at NAS actually has some really good info. THey can give you a bunch of pages of leads for housing. THat is how I found my house. I probably looked at 50 houses/apartments, though, and it was time consuming. A lot of the Dalewood properties were water damaged/in NASTY shape (a few copmplete with dead animals inside and all). THat said, there are good ones there, too.

Be sure to call a bunch of places before you go to them (duh item here) because the lists housing has are not always curent.

Happy hunting.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of the Dalewood properties were water damaged/in NASTY shape (a few copmplete with dead animals inside and all). THat said, there are good ones there, too.

I found Dalewood to be the strangest community. You had some genuinely nice houses there... mixed in with redneck trailertrash living in... trailers.