• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS Issues

exNavyOffRec

Camp Lejeune is in North Carolina. That address is for Florida.

you said close to Jacksonville did you mean Jacksonville FL or Jacksonville NC? If you mean Jacksonville NC then Raleigh is the closest one, that is the one that my friend who was stationed in Wilmington would send his people.

azguy

None
I am working with a recruiter in Philly before my dad got PCSed to Camp Lejeune. Philly has a MEPS facility, but there isn't one close to Jacksonville. Were I still in Philly, I'd have gone to MEPS up there. In Jacksonville, you get sent to the branch clinic aboard Camp Lejeune, but they don't do any pre-enlistment/pre-comissioning drug testing on base. If I was dealing with a recruiter down here, they often have funds set aside to pay for the drug testing. Since my guy in Philly doesn't have cash to pay for my drug test, I get to. I know it sounds weird, but no one at the branch clinic, NRD Philly, or the one recruiter I reached out to down here seemed surprised in the least by the situation.

It just annoys me that Camp Lejeune can't do the screening at their drug testing clinic, but it is what it is.

This makes no sense. So you're saying that people that want to enlist or get commissioned in that area... which happens to be next to a huge military base... have to pay out of pocket for a drug test?

Doesn't make sense. At best, you face wasting your $$$. At worst, and as you are alluding to, this special/private test risks falling through the cracks of the bureaucracy since you are outside of normal channels.

eddieoctane

This makes no sense. So you're saying that people that want to enlist or get commissioned in that area... which happens to be next to a huge military base... have to pay out of pocket for a drug test?

Doesn't make sense. At best, you face wasting your $$$. At worst, and as you are alluding to, this special/private test risks falling through the cracks of the bureaucracy since you are outside of normal channels.

Well, as nuts as it sounds, I did receive an email with a rather official locking form from my recruiter saying I am supposed to pay for the tests. Yes, having a huge Marine installation that is totally unable to drug test any potential recruits is illogical enough to make Spock's head explode, but that's the hand I've been dealt. Guess I get to spend tomorrow morning calling around to see who can get my tests done tomorrow afternoon. Yay...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You have more important things to worry about…chain of custody need not be one of them.

Chain of custody is absolutely something he should be concerned about.... this is his potential career.... just like I as a commissioned officer, with wings, and an operational squadron should be concerned with the chain of custody.

Renegade One

None
Well, without a verifiable chain of custody, the results of any drug test are garbage. Which means taking the test again, which means another $100 out of pocket. I have nothing to hide from a drug test, I just wanted to make sure that I don't waste money by putting down the wrong contact information. And considering that the drug test is the last remaining thing my recruiter needs from me in terms of medical stuff, it is pretty high up on my list of priorities.
Chain of custody is absolutely something he should be concerned about.... this is his potential career.... just like I as a commissioned officer, with wings, and an operational squadron should be concerned with the chain of custody.

Well, short of actually hand-carrying your own piss bottle to the lab and sitting there while it gets tested, not sure what anyone could reasonably do WRT chain of custody. Dozens of drug screens in my lifetime…Navy as well as industry. You get to watch your own sample getting sealed up with your name and stuff on it. I think the system is pretty trustworthy. Mileage obviously varies for many of you.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Agree you can't proactively do anything about the chain of custody but you should be concerned about it. You should be aware, and ask questions if you see / notice something that gives you any doubt about the coc you should, be ready do defend yourself.

Kinneary

I am working with a recruiter in Philly before my dad got PCSed to Camp Lejeune. Philly has a MEPS facility, but there isn't one close to Jacksonville. Were I still in Philly, I'd have gone to MEPS up there. In Jacksonville, you get sent to the branch clinic aboard Camp Lejeune, but they don't do any pre-enlistment/pre-comissioning drug testing on base. If I was dealing with a recruiter down here, they often have funds set aside to pay for the drug testing. Since my guy in Philly doesn't have cash to pay for my drug test, I get to. I know it sounds weird, but no one at the branch clinic, NRD Philly, or the one recruiter I reached out to down here seemed surprised in the least by the situation.

It just annoys me that Camp Lejeune can't do the screening at their drug testing clinic, but it is what it is.
I've taken dozens of drug tests while in the Navy and not a single one did I pay for. That includes when I initially went to MEPS eight years ago and when I went to a private facility last week for my physical. That doesn't seem correct at all unless there's some paperwork you've submitted to be reimbursed for the expense. And even then it doesn't sound entirely on the up-and-up.

elliottm2

MY OR is a LT, but he has spent a lot more time in roles related to the Navy than the majority of LTs ( He was in the reserves, and is now on active duty from what I understand, this would be his first AD in over 8 years, if not ever).

I spoke with him today, and got the DD 2807-1, 2807-2, and MEPCOM 680-3a, which i filled out and sent back.We set up an appointment for Monday at 1030 AM.

And then another "problem" arose.... He called me RIGHT AT 359 PM TODAY and said that in my NASIS file the computer is giving him a message saying that my place of birth does not match my SSN birthplace, and the guy who can resolve it won't be back until Monday. I asked him to repeat back what my SF-86 file had down for my place of birth, and my social was correct, but hes saying the computer is saying that there is a discrepancy..... REALLY? It's on my birth certificate. So He has moved my appointment to Tuesday, tentatively. He didn't want to schedule MEPS until that got cleared up. Has anyone ever encountered this particular discrepancy and how would I go about clearing it up?

So that basically leaves a week and a half for MEPS.... is there any other options I can pursue to get this done outside of my OR? I fear that at this rate, if I have to rely on my NRD, it wont done until long past the due date.

I don't mean to sound negative by the way if that's how I am coming across... I just am frustrated because as far as I'm concerned this is MY LIFE, and three times now "little paperwork issues" have pushed back when I can get the ball rolling for MEPS.

Also, not that I anticipate I will need any waivers, but if I do, do those have to get done in the 30 days as well?

elliottm2

A little short notice, I know, but my blood tests are tomorrow. Any special directions that anyone knows about, ie, are you not supposed to eat the morning of? anyone have any experience with their blood tests?

elliottm2

I'm aware of that, what I meant is do I need to do anything in particular, for example, NOT EAT breakfast the morning of?

exNavyOffRec

I don't remember not eating being part of the standard brief, and they feed all the applicant breakfast at the hotel, so I wouldn't worry about it.

azguy

None
I'm aware of that, what I meant is do I need to do anything in particular, for example, NOT EAT breakfast the morning of?

I'm curious what you've heard that makes you think you should skip a meal for the medical test... Do you get nervous around needles?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
One thing you definitely SHOULD do is remember to hydrate. I was unfortunately fairly dehydrated when I went to MEPS, and in addition to totally screwing with my depth perception test, I nearly passed out after they drew my blood.