• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mental decline in high-flying military pilots

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's your take?
Will probably take much more research, but it appears to be a problem mainly for the "high flyers", the U-2 & (now retired) SR-71 or future SR-72.. I believe most military tactical high flyers operate at or below the magic 18k cabin altitude. In addition, unlike long range U-2s, most tactical jets average 2.0 hrs or less per mission.:)

Additionally, during events of explosive decompression or pressurization failure, normal emergency procedures dictate immediate descent to lower [safe] altitudes, so exposure to the high danger altitudes is minimized. I recall that in my community (A-4s), at 35k the cabin altitude was ~18k and we seldom operated above 25 k except on X/C or ferry flights. Not sure about the fighter dudes though, they probably spend much more time closer to heaven. This allows them to lead much more "sin free" lives, while accounting for their marked intelligence deficit!:eek:
BzB

Renegade One

None
What's your take?
Bunch of egg-heads working on their PhDs, or to get their names in some egg-head journal.

Since the control group was "non-aviators pilots (USAF study group)"…maybe brain lesions are a good thing…separates pilots from whatever else those 30-40 other breast insignia in the AF represent.

Not sure what "ambient cockpit pressure" has to do with anything as long as the carbon-based life-form in the cockpit is encapsulated in a full pressure suit, which I assume is regulated to ~12K MSL or probably well below….with the right mix of oxygen, nitrogen, etc. If we're worried about this, we ought to cancel space flight right the frak now.

I was going to say something else, but I'm confused and don't remember what it was...

Renegade One

None
I am going to assume that I can extrapolate that research to the lower altitudes to prove that helicopter pilots flying at very low altitudes must therefore be of superior intelligence.
Uh…no. That doesn't work at all. No such physiological rule pertains.

No such thing as the "Inverse Rule of High-Altitude Exposure and Resultant Higher Cognitive Function for Aviators/Pilots at Predominantly Lower Altitudes of Flight Exposure"…at least that I've been able to find.

Maybe you could hire your own PhDs? ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot

No such thing as the "Inverse Rule of High-Altitude Exposure and Resultant Higher Cognitive Function for Aviators/Pilots at Predominantly Lower Altitudes of Flight Exposure"…at least that I've been able to find.

I dunno, this may be anecdotal, but I was a helo pilot and I'm Lways the smartest and best looking guy in the room. Especially if there are jet guys in the room.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno, this may be anecdotal, but I was a helo pilot and I'm Lways the smartest and best looking guy in the room. Especially if there are jet guys in the room.

That is pretty easy when the room is a padded one where you have all the time in the world telling yourself, and the friendly nurse who comes in to give your your meds every 4 hours, how awesome helos are.

nurse-ratched.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Gravity is stronger at lower altitudes so it at least explains why helo bubbas have bigger cranks. :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Radiation received at very high altitudes, especially over polar routes, is a real concern for airline guys, and maybe the military heavy lifters. There is more evidence of issues there and far more exposure considering the number of airline pilots and the frequency and endurance with which they fly at those altitudes. The grant money must have dried up for altitude radiation studies so the egg heads have moved on.

Renegade One

None
"Good answer…good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you…"
0.jpg